Engine compartment detailing

mpearce1974

How to or, not to how to?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Yes or no?

• yes
    • no
    • Why should I care?

Just want wanting to know if it would be worth the time to do a indepth how to on this? I have had many PM's and Aim convos on just this topic! It would apear I am a victim of my own success! >_< Let me know! Will also include links to various productsI use! :thumbsup:

HPIM1257.jpgHPIM1403.jpgHPIM1409.jpg

There's already a how to that I made awhile back. It should be in the FAQ sticky somewhere on here, but yeah, there already is one.

Sorry I have had 6 PM's and multiple convo's on Aim about it ever since I made the mistake of posting before and after pics of my latest hatch! :thumbsup: Then 3 people told me to do a how to! I think I remember you doing one on washing car, but dont remember about the engine compartment? :-

dooo eeeet!

All niiight loonnggg!

Yea. I remember cleangsr made a nice write up on detailing the exterior of the vehicle but I don't remember seeing one about engine detailing. If he did do it then I totally missed it.

All niiight loonnggg!

Yea. I remember cleangsr made a nice write up on detailing the exterior of the vehicle but I don't remember seeing one about engine detailing. If he did do it then I totally missed it.

He did but.....?

No disrespect, because I like the guy, even though I have never met, or interacted with him! :) Those over the counter chemicals, really do suck asss! I have a little bit of grease I missed down low on my engine, and I had a can of foamy engine cleaner at work so I tried it! It didn't even touch it! Plus the stuff I use is way safer on paint, and components! I remember screwing up a hood once when I was younger because I was stupid with that CR stuff!! >_<

http://www.hondaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=17523

Definitely, even if there is another one up it's always good to have more than one just so different opinions can be expressed. Go for it!

He did but.....?

No disrespect, because I like the guy, even though I have never met, or interacted with him! :) Those over the counter chemicals, really do suck asss! I have a little bit of grease I missed down low on my engine, and I had a can of foamy engine cleaner at work so I tried it! It didn't even touch it! Plus the stuff I use is way safer on paint, and components! I remember screwing up a hood once when I was younger because I was stupid with that CR stuff!! >_<

http://www.hondaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=17523

Well, I'd be glad to argue this one but it's usually useless. Most OTC products are junk...I agree, but the CD2 engine degreaser was up there with the best of the botique products. The stuff isn't made anymore and there are professionals that have used the stuff on everything from Ferrari's to Maserati's to Ford Tempo's and never a problem if you use the stuff correctly. By the way, I don't know what CR stuff is, but I referred to CD-2. In anycase, it worked well when it was available. I now use an 8:1 diluted mixture of Megs APC....4:1 for really grimey areas.

90% of any auto detail (engine or exterior) is in the skill of the person.....10% is in the product selection. I could make a horrible engine bay look 10 times better with regular car wash soap than a normal guy could with a heavy apc.....and probably in less time. Feel free to make a new thread, but my techniques are spot on......product selection is going to be a personal preference wherever you go.

If you don't believe me about the CD-2 and the pros, join autopia.org (probably wouldn't hurt anyway) and do some searches on the stuff. It really was an amazing product considering it's price/availability. As you said, you screwed up the hood because YOU WERE DUMB with the stuff. Follow the directions and it works great. Regardless, my Megs APC works just as well and is also completely safe for the paint when diluted.

Archived