I got it, what's next?

Orca89

Alrighty, figured I might as well start a new thread, since I don't need help finding one anymore, haha. Anyway, car was just inspected and emission tested in VA last month, hopefully that'll fly here in PA. Engine bay looks good, the car certainly behaves and sounds like it's mechanically sound. I already know the first few things I'll be doing to it:

Replacing the entire front bumper assembly

Installing the new headlights and corner lights

Tightening some things down (speakers, console, stereo's just sitting in it's compartment, not held down at all)

New shift knob

Painting and installing the new bumper

Fixing the scrapes and scratches

Better stereo head unit, something that's at least MP3 capable(I love the cover, the stereo can look as out of place as it wants, haha)

New antenna, current one's broken off. I remember a thread about the S2000 antenna fitting nicely, I'll try that.

Replacing at least the driver's seat. Would S2000 seats fit in a Del Sol?

Wheels that look like they belong on the car(17" Gold Kazera KZ-B's do NOT belong on a Del Sol, especially not a Samba Green one. Any suggestions for a good 15" or 16" wheel?).

After all of that's done, I'll work on improving performance.

It's already got an AEM intake, engine's been swapped for the Japanese version, not sure exactly what it is. I'll pop the hood and figure it out when I take my lunch break. It's got enough get-up and go for my needs, so unless it's cheap and/or helps/doesn't hinder fuel economy, I'm probably not going to bother with any engine upgrades. 115ish miles with just over 1/4 of the tank(is the tank larger at the top? I'm not sure 46 mpg makes sense...), in rush hour traffic for a while... I am NOT messing that up, haha. Thanks in advance!

Congrats!

FYI, they're not the JDM headlamps, though.

I knew you'd come around on the wheels, lol.

I'm partial to Skunk2's shift knobs, which are the same as the old ITR/CTR knobs. The only downside is if you park in direct sunlight for some time, you have a burning hot knob.

I don't know what you need as far as the stereo goes, but I have one of the lower-end Alpine headunits in my Sol with the iPod connector. It was around $200-300 altogether and I love it. Then again, I'm not one of those people who is into ridiculous sound systems. The cover is great, if you do end up with something crazy it's a little less of a worry that you'll have thieves breaking in to steal it.

Previous owner bought them, came with the car. They aren't one piece though, it's headlights and corner lights. I think they clip together somehow, based on the picture he took of them.

n9352305_36683581_7882.jpg

Ok, they're not The JDM's... Just looked it up. Can't find the website I came across these in though... It said something about them being JDM. *shrugs* I dunno. They run about $200. They're still sitting in their packaging in the trunk, haha. Here's all the pictures I have of the car and the extras, mostly taken by the previous owner. http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k465/Orca89/Del%20Sol/

Yeah looks like you got the SOHC d16z6. Same motor I'm swapping out.

That's what I thought. I'd hoped it might be a DOHC, but it's got plenty of power. I still haven't had reason to floor it, haha. Would've had to a few times today if I was in my Dad's Accord.

Ok, they're not The JDM's... Just looked it up. Can't find the website I came across these in though... It said something about them being JDM. *shrugs* I dunno. They run about $200. They're still sitting in their packaging in the trunk, haha. Here's all the pictures I have of the car and the extras, mostly taken by the previous owner. http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k465/Orca89/Del%20Sol/

Most sellers attach "JDM" onto every title/description anymore, well for the past few years or so.

These are the actual JDM one-piece headlamps, although it's not the greatest picture. They usually sell for around $400 or more. Gorgeous lamps, but $400+ can pay for much more important things than headlamps lol. http://www.inlinefour.com/jdmdelsolone.html

Most sellers attach "JDM" onto every title/description anymore, well for the past few years or so.

These are the actual JDM one-piece headlamps, although it's not the greatest picture. They usually sell for around $400 or more. Gorgeous lamps, but $400+ can pay for much more important things than headlamps lol. http://www.inlinefour.com/jdmdelsolone.html

Yeah, no kidding, hahaha. I could probably fix up most of the interior for that sum. If he hadn't included these, I wouldn't have bought them. Since I have them anyway though, and the current headlights have a ton of condensation in them, I'll put 'em in. They sure look they'll be an improvement over the OEM's. If the headlamps had been broken (like the wrecked ones I was looking at before you helped me realize how much it would've cost), I probably would've gone for these, or something similar.

I'd hoped it might be a DOHC.

:chair: Bad Orca, SOHC FTW!

Good choice on the new wheels. Those will look much better on that car.

The whole "JDM headlights" issue has already been taken care of. :laugh: And while those aren't JDMs they're still as good if not better than stockers.

Shift knob is just gonna be preference. I'd get something leather-wrapped though for feel as well as what CRG7 said about the sun cooking it to finger-blistering temperatures.

The top of the tank isn't bigger per se, but the tank tapers slightly as it nears the bottom so your gauge reads faster after the halfway point.

Congrats on the purchase. You're gonna love this car. :thumbsup:

what do you mean by will love it? I already do! :laugh: I was looking through some sites that have shift knobs, and would love to get an S2000 knob, it looks sweet... but it'd drive me insane having 6th gear be reverse, and reverse be non-existent... Wow, I completely missed CRG7's post about the shift knobs. I'll have to have a look at their stuff.

As for the sound system, I'm not looking to put in anything really fancy, as long as I can get the speakers to stop hating the only "The Who" song I have (Baba O'Reilly), and Yellowcard, I just want to be able to plug a wider variety of media into the system. I was thinking something along the lines of this

Pop an SD card with all or most of my music in, have a few cd's with special playlists (Rock, oldies, etc.), pop my flash drive in for an on-the-fly playlist, and the RCA jack to keep my sister happy... ok, scratch that last part, I don't care if my sister can listen to her iPod in my car or not, haha. I actually don't have an iPod, nor any desire to get one. My phone has several hours of music on it's micro SD card, I've got my Axim X50 with a 2 gig SD card, and a really nice pair of bluetooth headphones. Yes, I know, I'm a geek. My car will match my geekiness, although I intend to make it impossible to tell from outside the car, and only vaguely apparent from inside.

*edit*

Ok, having looked through and seen the sometimes obscene prices on shift knobs... I think I'll visit a junkyard and see what I can find, haha.

Thats anything though. When you buy "Real" parts for your car its gonna cost you generally.

^ Agreed.

I personally can't stand the stock shift knobs, although I know plenty of people who love them. My S2's cost around $35-40. I had a third one I could have sold, but my brother grabbed it a couple of months ago lol.

Yeah, makes sense... doesn't change the fact that it can really suck sometimes, haha. Ok, photos are uploading to Photobucket... incredibly slowly... It's got pictures of most of the problems with it, although we discovered that the negative contact on the battery isn't on very well, it refused to start on two occasions today. Fortunately, that'll probably be the easiest thing to fix on the whole car. My Dad took a look at the headlights, and now I know that they weren't just in mediocre shape, they're basically worthless now. They aren't aimed properly either.

P1000219.jpg

Ok, story time. The bumper is beat up because the tires had started to rot when the previous owner (PJ) bought it. He didn't know it, and at some point he went to turn into his neighborhood and the tire gave out. He lightly brushed the guard rail, wound up facing the other way. He's an occasional rally racer, so he managed to avoid any serious damage, and whipped the car around and got going again. He got lucky, although experience undoubtedly helped him out a bit.

P1000220.jpg

As I'd feared, even though the car was inspected and emission tested a month ago in VA, I've got to take it in within the next 10 days... I'm going to get the headlamps and corner lights swapped out before I take it in so I can get them aimed properly at the same time. There goes another $150 or so... *sigh*

P1000231.jpg

Stopped in at Autozone to try and find some things... left with nothing. They don't have the Samba Green touch-up paint (not really surprising), didn't even have a cheapo shift knob I could've put on until I found something actually worth having. Here's the piece of crap that's held in place with electrical tape:

P1000226.jpg

So, basically, it needs some work. And although it'll be mildly annoying at times until I find the time and money to fix, replace, tighten, and do whatever else... that's a good thing. If it were perfect... not only would I be completely broke, it wouldn't be as much fun :-p

*shrugs* It's got more get-up and go than I'm used to, and I don't plan on racing it, so why would I need more power? I can out-accelerate most people on the road, that's good enough for me. Hmm... maybe I'll wrap the shift knob in a few layers of electrical tape... hehe, my grandad would be proud

*shrugs* It's got more get-up and go than I'm used to, and I don't plan on racing it, so why would I need more power? I can out-accelerate most people on the road, that's good enough for me.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. K. If you say so. :fool:

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. K. If you say so. :fool:

Around here anyway. Sure, if I head up to Carlisle or somewhere where people actually tend to soupe up their cars, I'll get left in the dust. But out on the highway, along 30, around town, I can pop it into second and hit 50 by the time most people are crawling past 20. Yes, that's partly because most yorkers hate to feel any kind of acceleration, but still, it's good enough for me.

*shrugs* It's got more get-up and go than I'm used to, and I don't plan on racing it, so why would I need more power? I can out-accelerate most people on the road, that's good enough for me. Hmm... maybe I'll wrap the shift knob in a few layers of electrical tape... hehe, my grandad would be proud

I say Duct tape FTMFW!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

I say Duct tape FTMFW!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Haha, I was thinking that myself. So I compromised, just spent 20 minutes wrapping it in duct tape and throwing in some electrical tape trim. It's far from perfect, but considering I pretty much tossed it together, didn't have anything but the tape and my fingers, it's not bad. Definitely an improvement over the simple piece of metal, at least in ergonomics. I'll probably redo it sometime in the next week or so, when it's light out and I can see what I'm doing, haha. Glad I had that 15" neon green light thingamabob that PJ just kinda tossed at me, I'll probably figure out a way to stick that on the roof when I need some extra lighting. Anyway, here's my... I was going to say masterpiece, but that just doesn't fit. Here it is:

P1000234.jpg

Maybe I'll just trim some electrical tape down a bit, to just big enough to cover the edges of the duct tape strips covering the electrical tape wrapping, and figure out a way to make a solid, smoothly curved top... hmmmm... elmers glue with a ridge of duct tape around it? have to leave it overnight and make darn sure the glue didn't drip down... I'll figure it out

or maybe a spiral pattern would work better...

Oh my, dude! I'm sorry but that is effing hilarious. Please get an aftermarket knob. :laugh:

And Ben, you can eff off. J/K, but sink the same amount of money into a z6 that you would a c1 swap and you can make a third more power and still maintain economy. Save the SOHC!!

Archived