I got it, what's next?

Orca89

lmao at the shift knob, that's classic.

holy offset on those wheels.

as i said before, the bumper cover can be repaired, it doesn't appear to be all that deep. unless you plan on building up a show car, i'd opt on repairing that one and holding onto the other just in case.

Yeah, I know. The duct tape shift knob is merely a stopgap measure until I get out to a junk yard. Who knows, maybe I'll find an exotic car or two, I wonder what a Lotus Elise shift knob looks like... No, I don't actually expect to find one of those. It doesn't look great, but it's better than just leaving the tiny metal thing on there. And, like I said, I'll fix it up a bit more. And I plan on repairing the bumper cover. I'll get a pic that shows the worst part of it. You can't see it easily from any of the angles currently uploaded. As for making a show car, this is my daily driver. Someday, maybe I'll try and find some things to make it look a little more showy, but it looks pretty good as is, and will look even better once I fix the paint job and the bumper.

I've always wanted to get this black Spoon shift knob for my Accord, but never got around to it.

31GGIZEgh1L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Yeah, that looks pretty nice... I prefer knobs that are a bit bigger though, and a bit more rounded. My hands aren't huge, but they're still pretty big. Something like that just doesn't fit very well in my palm. 'Course, without something in the picture to compare it with and get a feel for the actual size, who knows. Maybe that would be perfect. My roomy knows which junkyard most of the tuner cars end up in, so maybe I'll run across one, hehe.

Nearly got the sound system redone at Tweeter yesterday... but I'm missing the little plastic plate that helps hold the head unit in place. Rather than pay $50 for the guy to make one that would work, I'll try to find one at a junkyard that would fit and look better, then go back next week. I'll be getting this, and I'll probably look at getting the speakers swapped out for something better too... 6 months no payments, no interest, I can put away the cost fairly easily without letting it interfere with the other upgrades/fixes.

Anyway, I'm going to try to install the new headlamps this evening. Is there anything I should keep in mind while doing that?

Another thing, I keep forgetting to ask. Where is the tire iron kept in a Del Sol? I'm not sure if it's missing or I just can't find it.

You've got to take the front bumper off to get at the headlights... well, at least I did, but I also installed a lip too. :laugh: It's not too difficult, just a bit of a pain in the ass is all.

I don't know where the tire iron was stored from the factory, maybe with the jack in the passenger-side corner, but mine was just under the trunk board nestled in the spare tire. *shrugs* The PO might not of given you one either.

You've got to take the front bumper off to get at the headlights... well, at least I did, but I also installed a lip too. :laugh: It's not too difficult, just a bit of a pain in the ass is all.

Good to know, even if it is going to be a pain, haha.

I don't know where the tire iron was stored from the factory, maybe with the jack in the passenger-side corner, but mine was just under the trunk board nestled in the spare tire. *shrugs* The PO might not of given you one either.

Yeah, that's what I'd figured. It isn't with the spare tire, and it wasn't with the jack. And there's no serious rattling, so I doubt it somehow fell down into the hole the jack fits into.

Anyway, to get the bumper off, it's just the screws along the top, a few bolts along the bottom, and a few clasps here and there, right?

Pretty much. The PITA part is in the wheel well area where you have to unclip the front part of the wheel well liner and pull it back to reach the one screw on each side. If you still have all the air dams connected underneath they'll have to come off too since they're connected to the bumper.

Basically when you think you've got everything unscrewed/clipped just pull gently forward and whatever part doesn't easily come off check for another fastener in that area.

Damn damn damn damn damn... Got the bumper off, getting the screws just above and behind the corner markers was a pain, but once I figured out where the were and managed to get at them with a screwdriver, I could put them in and out fairly easily. Got the right assembly in and hooked up. Looked gorgeous. Then... I tried to put the left set in. The left set does not fit. Period. The only reason the old ones did is they were broken. The actual bumper is a little bent, and a little skewed. So while you can still fit the right side in with a bit of work, there's just no way to get everything to line up on the left.

The new headlights, looking gorgeous. 5 minutes after I took this, the old ones were back in. an hour and a half later, it was finally all put back together. (I forgot to put the styrofoam thing back in the first time I put the bumper back on... oops)

P1000250.jpg

So now its the old headlights with the new cornerlights... until I either get that fixed or find one at a junkyard that's in better shape. On the plus side, when I went down to the Honda dealership to pick up an extra screw I needed for the new set(which is now sitting in my toolbox...), I also ordered the touch-up paint. So, in a week or two, I can work at getting the little specks of rust cleaned out and painted. I'm not sure what I'm going to have to do about the right rear wheel-well though... It's not horrible, but I don't think I'm going to be able to sand it out a bit, maybe put some putty in, and then paint it over... Well, at least I had fun taking my car apart and putting it back together. Oh, and for anyone who doesn't already know, about the only thing you need to work on your Del Sol is a 10mm socket wrench with an extension, and a phillips head screwdriver. A pair of needlenose pliers comes in handy too. The hammer in the picture was only for the little metal inserts for the bolt-holes in the headlights.

Oh, a little thing I forgot to mention. Went to a buddies surprise birthday party. We ended up putting the sway bar on before we went in, hahaha.

Haha, I was thinking that myself. So I compromised, just spent 20 minutes wrapping it in duct tape and throwing in some electrical tape trim. It's far from perfect, but considering I pretty much tossed it together, didn't have anything but the tape and my fingers, it's not bad. Definitely an improvement over the simple piece of metal, at least in ergonomics. I'll probably redo it sometime in the next week or so, when it's light out and I can see what I'm doing, haha. Glad I had that 15" neon green light thingamabob that PJ just kinda tossed at me, I'll probably figure out a way to stick that on the roof when I need some extra lighting. Anyway, here's my... I was going to say masterpiece, but that just doesn't fit. Here it is:

P1000234.jpg

Maybe I'll just trim some electrical tape down a bit, to just big enough to cover the edges of the duct tape strips covering the electrical tape wrapping, and figure out a way to make a solid, smoothly curved top... hmmmm... elmers glue with a ridge of duct tape around it? have to leave it overnight and make darn sure the glue didn't drip down... I'll figure it out

or maybe a spiral pattern would work better...

I can't believe I am just now seeing this!!!!!!!!!! You are the man! RED would be proud!!! (Thats Red from the Red,Green Show) :thumbsup:

I can't believe I am just now seeing this!!!!!!!!!! You are the man! RED would be proud!!! (Thats Red from the Red,Green Show):thumbsup:

Hahaha, heck yes.

Gotta love the Red Green Show. Too bad they finally ended the series... I think my Dad and I'll be chipping in together to buy the entire series... if we can find it.

"I am a man

But I can change

If I have to

I guess" - The Man's Prayer

:thumbsup:

Keep your stick on the ice, hahaha.

Hahaha, heck yes.

Gotta love the Red Green Show. Too bad they finally ended the series... I think my Dad and I'll be chipping in together to buy the entire series... if we can find it.

"I am a man

But I can change

If I have to

I guess" - The Man's Prayer

:thumbsup:

Keep your stick on the ice, hahaha.

Amazon had them I think! I am going to buy them too! Here is something for that asss clown that dented a car and left, then asked us what he should do, after he already left! :thumbsup:

You might consider a custom high flow exhaust next! :thumbsup:

HAHAHA, that would be awesome. I remember that episode, it was a good one. I like taking my roof off though, and I couldn't fit them around the sides if I still wanted to get out of the car easily. Could always put days upon days of work in, and thousands of dollars, to move the engine to the back and have the exhaust go straight down and out... But then I'd lose the roof storage... assuming I could even get the engine to fit. I may look into a Ractive exhaust at some point though. After the major work is done.

Skip the Ractive. Save your cash and get a decent system (RS-R, Apex'i, Tanabe, etc... I personally don't care for GReddy but I'm sure others will tell you to go that route).

Skip the Ractive. Save your cash and get a decent system (RS-R, Apex'i, Tanabe, etc... I personally don't care for GReddy but I'm sure others will tell you to go that route).

Ok, I'll do my research and get some tips before I do anything to the exhaust. Main thing I want is a quiet exhaust. Something as quiet or quieter than the stock setup. I don't want people looking around for a Harley whenever I go by.

Ok, I'll do my research and get some tips before I do anything to the exhaust. Main thing I want is a quiet exhaust. Something as quiet or quieter than the stock setup. I don't want people looking around for a Harley whenever I go by.

Ha ha, I don't think you'll have to worry about that. A chainsaw or weedwhacker is the closest Honda's ever been compared to.

But as far as exhaust goes, just take it to an import-friendly (very important) muffler shop and have them bend/weld up a custom exhaust for you. Going that route you can choose your diameter of pipe as well as muffler and/or resonator, get mandrel bends and still drive out of there for around $300.

As far as your bumper is concerned I can see on the passenger side where it looks like the plastic reinforcement got crushed a little. Majestic can get you a new beam for about a $100+shipping.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/j...catcgry5=BUMPER

Ha ha, I don't think you'll have to worry about that. A chainsaw or weedwhacker is the closest Honda's ever been compared to.

This is true, but I don't want it to sound like that either, hahaha.

But as far as exhaust goes, just take it to an import-friendly (very important) muffler shop and have them bend/weld up a custom exhaust for you. Going that route you can choose your diameter of pipe as well as muffler and/or resonator, get mandrel bends and still drive out of there for around $300.

I may just do that at some point... But that's another of the things to do that falls in the list for a year or two down the road, when I have the money.

As far as your bumper is concerned I can see on the passenger side where it looks like the plastic reinforcement got crushed a little. Majestic can get you a new beam for about a $100+shipping.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/j...catcgry5=BUMPER

Awesome, thanks! I'll be checking junkyards for one, but in the likely even that I don't find one that's in good shape, I'll be ordering that. And yeah, the plastic reinforcement is a little crushed, as is the little metal brace just to the left(from the picture's perspective) of that. That entire side of the beam is a little collapsed. The back of it bells outward.

Ok, big issue I need help with. I'm not sure if it just doesn't come with one, or it's broken, but I don't get any warning when I leave my headlights on and leave the car. Everyone I've let drive my car at night has done the same thing. Is there something I can fix or replace, or is there a kit to add that? I found This, and it certainly sounds fairly straight-forward, but I'd like to know what my other options are. I went to go to lunch, and found that my battery was dead because I left the lights on. I was really looking forward to the drive. I'm hoping it can recover a bit in the 4 hours it's got... but I'm pretty sure I'll have to kick start it.

All Sols should have a key reminder, but only a few of the later Sols ('96, '97) came with a headlight reminder and even then most of them did not. Your only real avenue is this.

http://www.teamdelsolwa.com/howto/buss.htm

Yeah... That's what I'd figured. Sucks though, hehe. Yeah, that's one option, there are a few others... I'm thinking I might put in an automatic system though... $36, turns the lights on at night, when the wipers are on, and turns them off when it's light or the car's off. It has a bypass switch, obviously. Amazon's is the cheapest due to the free shipping: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00...c_1026_49267-20

Another thing, my driver's side window is either mis-aligned, or the limiter isn't set right. I have to fiddle with it before I can close my door and have the window fit in under the weather seal. I was just going get it fixed when I take it in to get it inspected next week, but if it's easy to fix myself, might as well save a few bucks.

Well, spent the weekend with my college roommate at his farm, got a few things taken care of. Didn't find anything worth getting at the junkyards though, only 2 Del Sols we found were completely wrecked in front-end collisions, utterly worthless for what I needed. I did get the intake looking better, and put on a filter that wasn't so utterly filthy, or rusted. Painted the intake pipe too, as it was looking rather dingy:

P1000262.jpg

Also got a new shift knob, $15 at Autozone:

P1000261.jpg

It's a start. That knob is worlds better than the duct tape wonder. :laugh:

Amen to that, although the duct tape wonder was surprisingly comfortable, haha. Just have to get the boot attached to it somehow... I'll figure that out tonight. What do you think of the custom bracket my roomy and I made out of a piece of scrap metal? (It's the black thing stuck through the clamp around the Spectre adapter)

Archived