Headliners: how to clean them?

TLontheDL

I have a wool type headliners that are beige in color. I tend to roll down my windows a lot so the headliner in the back seat is a bit black. How do I clean it?? As you can tell, pollution here in Texas is just as bad as other big major cities :dry:

I have a wool type headliners that are beige in color. I tend to roll down my windows a lot so the headliner in the back seat is a bit black. How do I clean it?? As you can tell, pollution here in Texas is just as bad as other big major cities :dry:

I would imagine you could probably steam clean it.

Headliners are a big pain to clean and you have to be very careful. Don't use a steam cleaner....the heat will cause the glue to start seperating and set you on the road to a sagging headliner.

Your best bet is to make a solution of Woolite and Water mix. Use about 8 parts water to 1 part woolite. Spray it in a small section first to test it. Spray it and leave it for about 2-3 minutes, then blot it dry. You can try rubbing in small circular motions, but be careful not to separate the headliner. If the woolite mix doesn't get you very far you can try the same with oxyclean. 1 scoop of oxyclean for every 8 ounces of water.

Hope this helps and just be careful with it.

It sounds like all is better, but I never got to stick my two cents in the juke box.

I use Spray and Wash.

Yeah i was thinking the same thing, i need to call him but the phones on base have been down... i know he tears the whole interior out and sprays it with purple power, lets it sit for 10 mins then pressure washes it, same for the dash and rest of the inside of the car, but ive never seen him do a headliner, ill call him as soon as the phones get back online :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

sorry its taking soo long, the phones arent down but they are messed up... i tried to call home yesterday and they couldnt hear me... GAY!

ill send my mom a email and have her ask him... sorry its taking soo long :sleep2:

• 1 month later...
sorry it took soo long but i FINALLY got it...

use NON-SCENTED soap (non-scented joy), warm water, and some good ole elbow grease

Just an FYI.....if it is a cloth headliner then you'll need to be careful with the elbow grease....you rub too hard and it will come loose. Also make sure the rag is only damp and not really wet or it will soak through and release the glue and cause the headliner to sag.

If it's a vinyl/leather (like mine) then it's much easier. I just use a leather/vinyl cleaner and conditioner on mine.

Just an FYI.....if it is a cloth headliner then you'll need to be careful with the elbow grease....you rub too hard and it will come loose. Also make sure the rag is only damp and not really wet or it will soak through and release the glue and cause the headliner to sag.

If it's a vinyl/leather (like mine) then it's much easier. I just use a leather/vinyl cleaner and conditioner on mine.

umm if you have leather/vynal you can just take out all your interior, carpet, consol, seat belts, door panels, spray it down all down with purple power, let is sit for about 10 minutes, and pressure wash it all (headliner and all) and everything will come out and will look like new... but cloth healiner is a totally different story you need to use a damp not soaked rag, non-scented soap, and a little elbow greese...

What exactly is non scented joy? dishwashing soap?

Yep, non-scented dishwashing soap, thats the exact thing i asked my step dad on the phone. i was like "DISHWASHING SOAP?!?" :crazy:

another thing is alot of car washes around here are starting to get dry foam for interiors, works wonders on seats, might want to try it out.

Works on leather seats? I was told to use soft scrub without bleach (yes, the toilet cleaner) on leather seats.

another thing is alot of car washes around here are starting to get dry foam for interiors, works wonders on seats, might want to try it out.

Works on leather seats? I was told to use soft scrub without bleach (yes, the toilet cleaner) on leather seats.

think he meant to try on your cloth headliner

use leather conditioner on your seat, and in a pinch, baby wipes work to moisturize leather, but it doesnt clean as well as the actual leather conditioner.

DO NOT i repeat DO NOT use bleach on anything, trust me go to autozone and get a huge 5 gallon jug of purple power and one of those pump sprayers, and you can spray it on anything BUT your cloth headliner (use method i stated earlier, nonscented dishwashing soap and water on a damp rag). ill take some pictures of what it can do to cars when i get home if my step dad is detailing any cars when i go on RNR and ill show you first hand, purple power FTW!

::EDIT:: oh yeah i almost forgot, dont forget you need a pressure washer as well, and you need to take out your interior, if you have any major questions PM me, i can tell you alot about detailing :thumbsup:

DO NOT i repeat DO NOT use bleach on anything, trust me go to autozone and get a huge 5 gallon jug of purple power and one of those pump sprayers, and you can spray it on anything BUT your cloth headliner (use method i stated earlier, nonscented dishwashing soap and water on a damp rag). ill take some pictures of what it can do to cars when i get home if my step dad is detailing any cars when i go on RNR and ill show you first hand, purple power FTW!

::EDIT:: oh yeah i almost forgot, dont forget you need a pressure washer as well, and you need to take out your interior, if you have any major questions PM me, i can tell you alot about detailing :thumbsup:

Agreed! I love Purple Power! Although I did run over a bottle of it in my driveway yesterday >_< . My dad had been refilling that bottle for probably 7+ years lol. Actually the bottle was Clean-rite purple or something? But we had been filling it with purple power. Amazing stuff! Cleaned all my interior parts before paint. Clean my tires with it, and I took TONS of baked on brake dust off my wheels with it.

^^ perfect example that purple power is the SH1T and worth every penny you spend on it!!!

oh and ive taken oil, blood, years and years of dirt out of interior carpets using purple power, thats the only cleaning solvent ill ever use on the interior of a car :thumbsup:

^^ perfect example that purple power is the SH1T and worth every penny you spend on it!!!

oh and ive taken oil, blood, years and years of dirt out of interior carpets using purple power, thats the only cleaning solvent ill ever use on the interior of a car :thumbsup:

I vote me and you make the Purple Power People. :ninja: It's going in my sig!

(no homo)

bahahaha

i just use a warm damp dish towel, and rub smoothly throughout the entire headliner making sure not to separate the glue.

it's not very deep.. if you can wipe the headliner and it comes off on your finger, it should be easy to clean.

Archived