your favourite foods?

Sapphyre

I'm bored of making the recipes in my cookbooks/recipe box so i was wondering what your favourite foods were & what ya'll enjoy making.

Post 'em up! I'm willing to try [most of] them for something different.

Also, I'm considering starting up a baking/sweets made to order type mini-business. any suggestions on what i should offer?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah, we've got a couple of those around here- Brasa & Rio Churriscaria- but I dont see the point in paying $30 for an appetizer bar. I don't eat a lot of meat (nor do i eat starches & dairy much) so I generally end up with whatever veggies & seafood i can find on the bar. Everyone else thinks its great, but I always find their meat waaaaaaaaay too salty- I dont add salt to anything, and i dont cook with it either so what everyone else finds as normal amounts, I find to be too much.

I've been to most of the decent & good restaurants in the area- I'm really getting sick of eating out and the fact that almost nowhere serves vegetarian meals or enough vegetables with their meals. I mean, I know its the structure of meat, one veg & one starch in most commercial kitchens, but even when you ask to substitute it, most places forget or get the order wrong.

yeah, we've got a couple of those around here- Brasa & Rio Churriscaria- but I dont see the point in paying $30 for an appetizer bar. I don't eat a lot of meat (nor do i eat starches & dairy much) so I generally end up with whatever veggies & seafood i can find on the bar. Everyone else thinks its great, but I always find their meat waaaaaaaaay too salty- I dont add salt to anything, and i dont cook with it either so what everyone else finds as normal amounts, I find to be too much.

I've been to most of the decent & good restaurants in the area- I'm really getting sick of eating out and the fact that almost nowhere serves vegetarian meals or enough vegetables with their meals. I mean, I know its the structure of meat, one veg & one starch in most commercial kitchens, but even when you ask to substitute it, most places forget or get the order wrong.

ooooh $30! those bastards. down there its like 6 dollars and you stuff your face full for 2 hours and theres still more food. i like salty foods so thats probably why. they have like 15 different cuts of meat and there so flavorful. it tasted like i was eating cardboard when i had my first steak back here in the states. i always soak em up in worcheshshcheshtehrshire sauce

yeah, beef is chris' domain... he loves his rare steaks! (or anything made of red meat actually) I was never brought up eating much red meat, pork or turkey- it was mostly seafood/fish, wildfowl & chicken with *lots* of fruits & veggies and i'm still pretty much the same way now. I dont consider myself fussy, I'm willing to try most things. i've just never been good with the things i mentioned before- starches (rice/potatoes/etc.), dairy (i hate the texture) & cereals- right from a child.

YOU HATES CEREAL?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

im not much of a fan of seafood, especially fishy seafood. i can have shrimp cocktails every once in a while, but i'll never order fish at a restaurant

lol

Lexi, that's a good idea :) have you had Armenian food? there is a bunch to make and most people like them a lot...I would show you how to make them...hm, want receipes?

and this includes pastry...Armenian pastry is known to be awesome! I should take a picture today and post it up :D

lol

Lexi, that's a good idea :) have you had Armenian food? there is a bunch to make and most people like them a lot...I would show you how to make them...hm, want receipes?

and this includes pastry...Armenian pastry is known to be awesome! I should take a picture today and post it up :D

why didnt you cook me up any yesterday? that would have been a lovely meal. that wouldve been way better than two xl two topping pizzas, 20 wings, cinnabread and a 24 pack of beersies

YOU HATES CEREAL?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

yep. I couldn't be weaned onto cereals like most babies- i just refused to eat, so i had to be given veggies to gnaw on. I also had a phase where all i wanted was to suck on chicken bones. They couldn't feed me processed baby food either- mine had to be fresh then pureed or finely chopped. I' still won't eat cereals often- the only one i actually like is wheatabix with greek yoghurt, honey & dried berries.

have you had Armenian food? there is a bunch to make and most people like them a lot...I would show you how to make them...hm, want receipes?

definitely post some recipes! those look amazing! I love baking so I'll definitely give them a go. I'm not so great at making fresh pastry/crusts but its mostly a case of needing more practice than anything else. I'm planning on offering some English pastries/baked goods that you can't get over here like battenburg cake, scones, english fruit cake (its more moist than american & topped with marzipan and royal icing) & hot cross buns because we've got a huge demand for british stuff around here from having a fairly large british population in the area & they're willing to pay any price for a taste of home. We even have a genuine fish & chips shop. lol.

you are good at it then :) the pasties you just have to get creative with...the actual food, I'll have to send you a pic and recipes...

and no other country has the fish & chips like England ha...over there it's like for breakfast? hehe

i dont think I'm as good as everyone says i am, but eh. its kind of an inherited thing. My mum was offered a scholarship to culinary school for her baking talent (which for who knows what reason she turned down!) and my cousin's the manager of a local bakery in scotland.

lol, fish and chips are good anytime! better for dinner than anything though. Then you grab a kebab on the way home from the pub for late night snack/breakfast. Russ (the manager of the shop) gets everything imported from Britain. Even the flour. Whats really crazy though is that we're both from the same area- and its a really small place where every one knows each other so he gives me discounts on the candy. (or maybe that's just because I spend so much money there? lol!)

Archived