Nasty, nasty crash.

Ben.

Wow, that's absolutely terrible. Hope that guy in the Altima rots in hell, looks like he deliberately aimed at that guy. You can even see smoke coming from the front tires on the Supra from him braking.

Found the guy's myspace, he was only 24.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendID=14975683

they cops are more worried about giving tickets out to create revenue than protecting public safety. otherwise they would have taken that car out long before he killed that guy. that kid died for no reason except a flawed system. sad.

Yea. I'm a firm believer in if it's my time to go, it's my time to go. Thus my talking crap to whomever feels the need to give me major attitude or in fact talk crap to me in the first place. If I'm gonna die there, I'm gonna die there.

I just wonder what was going through that persons mind as they saw that Nissan coming at them? That definitely wasn't the way they were supposed to pass.

That was insane...

Edit: Post from someone on page two of the thread you linked to:

First, it's good to see all of the nice thoughts and prayers that have gone out for Alex, coming from people who only share the common interest of cars. I've always thought that there are few if any groups of people that care as much about each other than car people. While we try to one up each other on the street or at the track, when it comes down to it we are all the same at heart.

Alex was my roommate. It's tough for me to really digest that last sentence. It's hard for me to even look at that word, "was." I think everybody that knew him is just in a state of shock. He was just one of the best people you could ever meet, just a totally happy go lucky person. He loved that car. If you look at him in the engine bay, you can see that. I actually was there when we took that picture. My other roommate and I were helping him to put a freshened engine into the car. While Alex didn't have the tons of experience working on cars, he was always willing to dive right in to get the job done. Using his factory manuals, he took a fresh short block and a redone head and put it all together. He basically did all of this by himself; we just helped him get the engine in the car.

When we moved in together, that Supra was surrounded by LSx power, my LS2 GTO and my other roommates LS1 Vette. We were just a house full of car guys. While we liked different types of cars it didn't matter. I think I liked riding in the Supra just as much as he liked riding in my GTO. I guess I just can't really express how much he liked that car. It wasn't the best Supra out there, but it was his. He was always extremely proud of it, and we'd talk all the time about what he wanted to do with the car in the future.

Now it's all gone. It's hard for me to believe or even comprehend that I was talking and laughing with him on Wednesday morning and now I'll never see my friend again. However, I know that my grief for him is absolutely minuscule compared to what his family is going through.

As for the actual crash and events leading up to it, I've seen the video, and immediately after I saw it I knew that the other driver decided he wanted things over. Unfortunately he also decided to take Alex with him. I can't even begin to understand why anyone would want to take another life in that manner.

At the same time, I personally don't believe that we can really blame the cops for what the other man did. They were trying to catch a criminal. Surely, their pursuit wasn't perfect, but very little in life ever is. Like it or not, much of our society is based upon trust, and every day most of us put our lives in other people's hands when we hit the road. The double yellow line is just some paint on the road in reality, we have to trust others with our safety. When put in these terms, it is really remarkable that it is an afterthought to most people. The other driver violated that trust in the worst way possible, and he alone is responsible for what happened. Could others have done things to stop it? Of course. At the end of the day, no one forced him to make the decisions he did; they were his alone.

While there is a part of me that would like to have seen him live to pay for his wrongs, I feel like it is best for Alex's family to just have things over and done with. While I'm not really a religious man, all that Alex's family and friends are left with is faith the things happen for a reason and that Alex and the other driver will be given their rewards in the afterlife. While I could wish for more, that is all I have to hold onto.

To close, mostly I just wanted to tell everybody a little about what a great guy Alex really was. No one who he touched in life ever would have a bad thing to say about him. I think this picture exemplifies his personality and passion for cars just perfectly. You can see the dirt on his hands, and he's just laid back, chillin' and lovin' that Supra.

499543039_l.jpg

Here's a link to a news story as well:

http://www.kpho.com/news/14796975/detail.html

To continue his point about the cops:

No one really knew what that driver was going to do. The cops have a job to capture the criminal so he can be tried in a court of law. Shooting at him or trying to run him off the road would just be even more dangerous (to the driver, other drivers, pedestrians, and the cops themselves) , and for what? To possibly kill a bank robber?

Obviously with the right amount of time and coordination, the cops could - and probably would have - put up an effective blockade or spike strips to stop the vehicle.

Unfortunately the driver did not give them that much time.

No one could have known what was going to happen, so we can't fault the cops for that.

To continue his point about the cops:

No one really knew what that driver was going to do. The cops have a job to capture the criminal so he can be tried in a court of law. Shooting at him or trying to run him off the road would just be even more dangerous (to the driver, other drivers, pedestrians, and the cops themselves) , and for what? To possibly kill a bank robber?

Obviously with the right amount of time and coordination, the cops could - and probably would have - put up an effective blockade or spike strips to stop the vehicle.

Unfortunately the driver did not give them that much time.

No one could have known what was going to happen, so we can't fault the cops for that.

I've seen cops use the PITT maneuver at those speeds before.

The gap between police and that car was massive. It's not as though he was driving eradically.

The gap between police and that car was massive. It's not as though he was driving eradically.

Which is probably why they assumed he wasn't going to do anything stupid like that.

It looked as though he was driving a comfortable speed for a while, and then when he truned off there, he just floored it and aimed at a car once he hit top speed.

Yeah, I think it had to be intentional. Like Sir_VTEC said, it was all open road. Plus the guy had a list of priors and this was at the end of a bank robbing spree if you read the article. He prolly realized he was gonna be in jail for the prime of his life so he decided to kill himself and take someone with him as a statement. People who rob banks are usually not like George Clooney and Brad Pitt -- they usually have some issues...

Archived