Method of Payment???

CleanGSR

I got an email last night (just now read it) from someone interested in my wheels. They sounded extremely interested and said they've been looking for Enkei Shogun's for awhile. Anyway, they said if I'm willing to ship they'd throw in an extra $50 plus pay shipping and handling costs.

Catch?.....from Ontario, Canada. So, I've heard about international scams regarding money orders/cashiers checks, and heard of people getting screwed through paypal.....never happened to me though.

So, what do I look out for? What method of payment should I request and how do I insure that I don't get screwed over or something.

Thanks.

well its usually up to the buyer, since he is more at risk.

you can accept a personal check, just make sure it clears before sending.

money orders are great too.

western union usually costs money..... as with paypal.

doesn't really matter how you get the money, just as long as you get it in your hand before you ship.

EDIT:

I got my rims/tires from canada and UPS wanted to fuk me over on shipping. since they were tires, DOT wanted their share of money, there was an extra tax because they were foreign made, and was supposed to have to pay some other bull for someone to inspect them.

somehow they made it through customs, without all that extra garbage.

idk if it works the same way going back across tho, so watch out.

It's not usually up to the buyer. Look at ebay......it's always the seller that specifies what type of payment is accepted. I've heard about scams using Money Orders and cashiers checks, so that's my concern with that. I might run by the bank and ask them how quick they can check to see if a money order is fraud or real. Personal check would work too as long as I waited for it to clear I guess. Never shipped anything this expensive so a little cautious.

use paypal dude if you have an account thats verified. than you get an invoice and the whole 9. proof. if not , go with a postal money order. no checks at all imo.

PayPal (make sure you have the tracking number when shipping, so if the buyer tries to dispute the charge)

Money Order (treat it like a check and don't ship until the money is in your account so the buyer cannot cancel it/them)

use paypal dude if you have an account thats verified. than you get an invoice and the whole 9. proof. if not , go with a postal money order. no checks at all imo.

i agree. ask him if he has a paypal account and if he does, you can see if hes verified or not when he sends you the money. if not, money order.

I'm not going through with the sale. I was reading on fedex.com and there's almost half a dozen documents I'll have to file with customs to get them shipped. I don't feel like messing with all that. Plus it's going to be around 300 or more to package them and ship them.

Always always always use paypal bro, yes i know theres a fee to accept money but its the safest incase you never see the money or what not...so yea Paypal it up man!

So I told him about the shipping hassle and that I didn't want to mess with that....and got this response.

awwww, that's a shame. well i wanna organize a road trip this weekend.

just

to grab those rims. it mean that much to me. so hopefully no one is

interested at that time. 14 hours drive one way. if it's not sold by

thursday, could you give me an address?

To which I responded with......

I'd rather not give my address out, but if you want to drive to Rolla, Missouri 65401, then I'd be glad to meet you somewhere to sell them. It would need to be on a Saturday when we meet up though since we're pretty busy through the week. Also, if you drive down I would need to be paid in cash (American money obviously) since I wouldn't have time for a money order to clear.

The other thing is that I'm not willing to come off the price just because you're driving here. I don't mean to come across rude, but I had one guy want me to knock $100 off because he was going to drive 6 hours to pick them up so I just don't want to run into that after you've driven so far.

Anyway, if you wanna drive down and meet me in Rolla, Missouri, and agree to all those things above, then that's fine with me. If you are going to make the drive...let me know and I'll hold the rims for you. Also, I'll try and get you some high res pics tonight if I can.

Nate

How do you guys think that sounds?

I'd do it if he was down for that kind of a drive. Sounds like he wants them. I dunno why so bad, but who cares?

It makes sense to ask for cash and to tell him in advance that you won't knock down the price.

Yeah, that's why I'm a little suspicious. Why would someone make a 14 hour drive just for these Enkei's? He talked like he really wanted them too, but seems like a lot of effort for a used set of Enkei's. I didn't want to give my address out for the same reason people blank out their plates in pictures.....don't want the guy to never show and then end up with my car stolen a week later.

nope about 14 minutes lol.

he was coming down from NY to a bug show in my area. and he brought it with him.

we met the day before the show, did the transaction, then hung out at the bug show the next day lol.

DO NOT give him your address.

I wouldn't take a money order either, I got one from something I sold on e-bay and it turns out it was fake. They sent me $2000 in a money order, with a note telling me to "wire transfer" $1800 of it to an address....haha i called it in and it was fake, so I filed a claim with the money order place and who knows what happened from there.

He also typed like that e-mail....not using any plurals for the most part, and being really shady and nosey.

I'd hold out and find someone in the US close-by or sell locally.

I'm gonna drive like 6-7 hours to sell my sol. But the buyer is gonna drive pretty much the same distance to buy it from me. And he is an active user on here so I feel less sketched out by it all.

Well, he/she is planning to drive down. We'll be exchanging cell numbers (does that sound okay?). I'll be meeting them in the next nearest town (10 miles from where I live) and doing the "exchange" at our Walmart parking lot. I have also told em that I will only accept cash....so, I think I've covered everything. Can you guys think of any other precaution that I might have missed or I should take? Let me know....cause I really REALLY don't wanna get screwed over and lose my wheels and get no money.

By the way....the person's name is Thea Ruos. Is that a chick's name or a dude? I have an address

Thea Ruos

11 Main street South

Newmarket Ontario Canada

L3Y3Y1

Don't know if that makes a difference or what.

Edit: My dad's driving down to go with me to meet the guy in case anything shady goes down. He's been burned a couple times on online transactions so knows what too look for some.

Just take a bat or something in case he tries to jack 'em from you.

And John, how would I screw you anyway, not only am I giving you money and my ride, I can't use my left arm,so how could I mug you.

I know a few guys that are deputy sheriff's in town......maybe I'll see if one of them can just go with me to do the exchange. Could even tell the dude that I"m doing that as a precaution......if they were planning on jacking them, that would probably scare them off.....ya think?

Either that or I could just have them meet me at the sheriff's department and do the exchange in their parking lot. Could even see if one of the sheriff's could stand out there while we exchange to be safe.

I know a few guys that are deputy sheriff's in town......maybe I'll see if one of them can just go with me to do the exchange. Could even tell the dude that I"m doing that as a precaution......if they were planning on jacking them, that would probably scare them off.....ya think?

Either that or I could just have them meet me at the sheriff's department and do the exchange in their parking lot. Could even see if one of the sheriff's could stand out there while we exchange to be safe.

maybe this is all a sign that you should keep those rims. the sheriffs thing is a good idea, but may freak the buyer out a little bit, i know i would feel a little weird, but not enough to stop me from going there. if hes got nothing to hide, he'll be fine with it, but i dont think this guy is trying to rip you off.

Here's my story. I posted up some rims on a local recycler advertisement. I was contacted by a guy who said he loved the rims and wanted them badly. So bad, that he said he would throw in an extra $100 to hold them until the check arrived.

The guy said he was from Europe and he was coming to the states on a business trip. So I told him to send me the check. He tried to sound real professional but his grammar was sub par. The dude starts to get religious and shiat so I give him my address and phone number to send the check.

When I got the check it looked real but I knew something was up. So I googled the check info online and found out there was a recent surge of counterfit checks that matched mine. I e-mailed the guy and told him I was going to turn him in (which I wasn't) but I was trying to avoid a problem and hoped that would scare him off.

The next morning I wake up and I had like 20 missed calls. Sure enough it was the shady dude. He demanded money to be sent to an address in Africa or else he would hurt my family. That's when the shiat got serious. I have had a ruff life and I live in a bad part of town so I calmy explained to him the consequences of his threats and actions. He then apologized and asked me not to turn him in. Bottom line is to sell your stuff locally for cash and make sure to show up armed or bring a friend.

Archived