How to wash your car

CleanGSR

Well there are both sealants and waxes that are good with durability.

Almost all sealants though will have really good durability. Some waxes like Pinnacle Souvergn only last a month but look better than any sealant (on dark cars and that's just my opinion). There are waxes out there that can rival the best sealant on durability too though.

Sealants are generally easier to apply and remove. For example, Meguiars 21 (sealant) is easier to apply and remove than Meguiars 26 (wax)...both are pretty easy though so might not be the best comparison.

Also, waxes usually give more of a deep glow while sealants are known for high reflectivity....like a miror or glass.

It's all in perference. I always do 2 coats of a sealant topped with a good wax to get a little of both looks. Also, I think sealants usually make the finish slicker than a wax and don't attract dust like a wax. Waxes use oils (carnuba oils) to help protect your finish and to give the deep wet look. Oils attract dust. Sealants don't use those oils and almost repel dust IMO.

Again it's all preference, but if I was only limited to a single coat of sealant/wax, I'd choose a sealant everytime..... again, that's just my opinion on which is better for me.

• 1 year later...

I'm going to bump this up for some of the new members we have, just in case they are interested.

I have a few comments to add:

I do NOT use an absorber anymore (well I do on my glass, but that's it). I did find it to slightly marr the finish. Honda's have really, really soft paint/clear and easy to marr. The absorber just wasn't soft enough for my car.

Second, regarding the steel wool on glass. There is a much, MUCH, better way to clean glass. Much faster and better results than steel wool. If you have a PC7336 or similar buffer then use a white or orange LC pad and some Optimum PoliSeal (I've also used DG105, but not as good as PoliSeal). Spread it on the glass on speed 3-4 and then work it to a haze at speed 6. It wipes off really easy and actually polishes imperfections out of the glass with the slight abrasives. Poli-Seal is also an AIO sealant so it will seal your glass, make it slicker and protect it from the elements better. The bonus, I can do all of the glass on a car in about 4-5 minutes tops.

Hung, didn't you have a full detailing thread too, back in the day?

Good stuff.

I know I did one on engines, but don't remember one on buffing. Next car I do, I might take a video of each process and show the results, then do a video tutorial + writeup. This way people would have some type of instructions to follow when/if they buy the tools.

I know I did one on engines, but don't remember one on buffing. Next car I do, I might take a video of each process and show the results, then do a video tutorial + writeup. This way people would have some type of instructions to follow when/if they buy the tools.

dooo ittttt!

I need my enigne bay done... bad! lol

what products would you reccomend for just a nice and easy waxing? thanks! All hail the detail king!

dooo ittttt!

I need my enigne bay done... bad! lol

what products would you reccomend for just a nice and easy waxing? thanks! All hail the detail king!

Clay Bar and then wax. Clay would be the least amount of prep I would do if I was you. If you don't have a buffer to remove swirls, then get something that has some fillers to at least hide some of the swirls. NXT 2.0 has fillers and would look better on an unprepped surface than something without fillers.

That, said, I never really recommend not doing the proper prep (i.e. polishing out swirls and scractches) but understand that it's not possible for some people.

Clay Bar and then wax. Clay would be the least amount of prep I would do if I was you. If you don't have a buffer to remove swirls, then get something that has some fillers to at least hide some of the swirls. NXT 2.0 has fillers and would look better on an unprepped surface than something without fillers.

That, said, I never really recommend not doing the proper prep (i.e. polishing out swirls and scractches) but understand that it's not possible for some people.

ahh nvm, Ill take it down to my buddies house and get him to buff it out and shine it up! thanks!

Just thought I'd post something up since the title comes across a little arrogant and that was very unintentional.

I did not come up with the 2 bucket method and don't claim it to be the only proper way (1 bucket + foam gun is the only other proper way though IMO). I also don't claim to be God's gift to the detailing world and there are a ton of people worlds better than me at detailing and buffing. I can hold my own though and merely try to pass on what little I know to other's so they can take the best care possible of their car.

Everything I've learned, I learned from the awesome community of people at www.autopia.org. Just wanted to make sure people don't think I consider myself to be something special, cause I'm merely a guy that wants to see the fewest swirl marks possible on the roads.

Thanks so much for this :)

It might have been mentioned, but just something I've read: is it good to wipe front to end straight, just like when driving, the air goes over the car? So that the swirls and scratches don't show much?

True the stuff on autopia is great, but it is nice to see those methods applied and with pics. I've been doing quite a bit of reading on there. The way your car looks makes me look up to you regardless because that is the level I want my crx.

i need to do a full detail job on my car. im just scared to use a buffer b/c i dont wanna screw up my paint if i dont do it right.

i have a car show coming up in july, so ill have to either learn to do it or go bring it somewhere lol.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...