How can I improve low end power?

Col

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kast is right, dont keep it if you are unhappy becuase alls that will end up happening is you will beat it to death because you wont care enough to take care of it and there will be one less prelude for those who actually care.

First, dump those Bosch +4s and fire some NGKs in there. You won't regret that. Honestly, I think you should sell it. All of your posts scream of not really liking the vehicle, and instead of keeping it and making yourself unhappy, find what you really want. Honestly though, it sounds as if you're somewhat immature, and want a racecar while your wife is deathly afraid of you having anything that is remotely fast. I say sell it and buy a Prius.

I am on the fence - not sure whether I hate this vehicle or love it. I think that if I had it running smoothly it might be the latter. I guess that I would be lying if I said I was totally mature, but I have grown out of throwing cars around as if the journey time was the difference between immortality or death. Don't get me wrong, no accidents or speeding tickets in my entire life might indicate that I am at least "responsible" (or lucky, choose which one you prefer).

My wife isn't afraid of my driving, but of me having a car that isn't safe for the conditions. For 10 months of the year I could have a Veyron and she wouldn't bat an eyelid. She is however against me selling the Prelude now that I have thrown money into it. As HungGSR says, I should have got a WRX - but they are as rare as rocking horse turd in the classifieds, and very expensive as a result. Oh and Chubs... whether I keep or sell the Prelude, it's already in better shape than when I bought it :)

Anyway, to end the issue about whether I like the car or not or if I should keep or sell it - I am not changing it right now. I would like to thank you all for your advice. There are some sound ideas to go on, and if find myself enjoying the car more as I get used to it then I will consider some of the upgrades. The fact that I am still in here posting should tell you that I retain an interest in this car, because as I have already said it is a decent vehicle.

p.s. PSML Prius!

How are WRX's rare ? Where are you located ? They are all over the place in Ohio

There are around Calgary, just not many for sale at the price I was looking to spend. Let me rephrase - I have only seen one pre-WRX Impreza for sale at under C$15k, and that had already gone by the time I saw the ad.

A step in the right direction - I changed the distributor cap and rotor arm, which has made the car run a little smoother and quicker. I am amazed as these looked okay on visual inspection. Now I am tempted to change the leads, as they look like the original set from '98...

The Bosch +4s seem to add a little more pep than the NGK double platinums that I took out before. I guess that I shouldn't read much into my "visual inspections", but I'll leave the +4s in for now.

i put 1000 dollar projector headlights in my buddies WRX last nite. there real nice. i put a 3" exhaust on it front to back. he now has no cats running on it at all. its comming. loud as hell though. he pulls in my garage , you can feel it idle in your chest , lol.

Hey Cranny (or others)... I'm contemplating an AEM Short Ram intake - what is that going to do to my car exactly? I have searched and read so many conflicting things, so it would be good to hear it from people in this forum. Cheers!

free up a few horsepower , make your car easier on gas when your not all on it , lol. they sound cool when you are on it. go with short ram though dude , cold airs are no good. harder on engine.

free up a few horsepower , make your car easier on gas when your not all on it , lol. they sound cool when you are on it. go with short ram though dude , cold airs are no good. harder on engine.

Cheers. I ask you because you probably know my climate better than others - and although hydro-locking is unlikely I would imagine that the slush and rocks around winter won't be too good to the filter.

I was thinking SRI because I have read that they increase low to mid end response (whereas a CAI increases top end?). Do they reduce torque though? I am looking to increase my low to mid end acceleration a little, but do not want to find myself having to rev the nuts off my car (excuse the pun!) to achieve any gain. I know that they don't add much, and yes I know that I have a Honda which is designed to have power at high revs - but just a little more low-mid power is going to make me a lot happier with this car. An exhaust and maybe a new header/cat will follow next year once I am sure that the car doesn't have any major problems - then I think it'll be perfect :D

a cold air intake cant be any harder on an engine that the factory intake with all of its restrictive boxes and tubes.

Doesn't a CAI allow more air in for better combustion? Surely that means the engine is working harder and faster? I know that Honda engines have a special reputation for lasting a long time, but aside from that it's the big V8s which tend to last longer - they are doing less work for the power, and therefore there is less stress on the engine.

Wrong. A CAI deosn't let anymore air in than a short ram. It's just letting cooler air in. Plus the longer tube will make your power band higher than a short ram. The amount of air would be the same though. The colder air from the CAI would actually be easier on the engine in my opinion.

A CAI deosn't let anymore air in than a short ram. It's just letting cooler air in. Plus the longer tube will make your power band higher than a short ram. The amount of air would be the same though. The colder air from the CAI would actually be easier on the engine in my opinion.

The colder air from the CAI would actually be easier on the engine in my opinion.

I should have said "more oxygen". The colder air is denser and contains more oxygen. More oxygen equals better combustion. The question is whether better combustion means that the engine is working harder or more easily. I was always lead to believe that the trade-off for making the engine more powerful was that you worked it harder. I'm not an expert though :)

whit attaching a cai u get get a slight increase in mpg. so the engine is running more efficient not harder, whit the added oxegen

Again, is that a correct correlation? Fuel efficiency doesn't necessarily mean less engine work, just that you are burning it better (due to the increased oxygen).

I should have said "more oxygen". The colder air is denser and contains more oxygen. More oxygen equals better combustion. The question is whether better combustion means that the engine is working harder or more easily. I was always lead to believe that the trade-off for making the engine more powerful was that you worked it harder. I'm not an expert though :)

That's completely wrong. The denser air actually makes it easier on the car under normal driving conditions. That's why most people notice a 1-2 mpg increase when getting a CAI over stock (while driving the same conservative way). The engine is running more effeciently and is taking less work to do so.

Edit: To clarify, you're right about the more oxygen (that's not what you said before). Just saying that it's incorrect that the denser air...more oxygen is harder on the engine.

technically it is. dense air would mean more oxygen to combust, so it could throw off your air fuel mix, causing you to run leaner. leaner=better gas mileage, harder on engine.

so slightly that it doesn't matter. but technically it is.

Horespower is a measure of tq. You can't gain one without the other.

cranny. If you are against strokers, why did you get something with a D17? Same redline as a D16 VTEC, but 4.4 more mm of stroke...

LOL really! go back to the hp/ torque graphs of your hondas.

why does the hp line skyrocket, but the torque stay basically flat?

I know the equation for hp..... torque x rpm / 5252.

......something just doesn't add up here.....

honestly SSR , i didnt know enough about how the different cars were equipped when i bought my car , or i most definitely would not have bought it. to elaborate , i like civics personally , more than tegs. and i thought id go with sohc to be different , not knowing how little could be done to the D17A2 , and the fact its not real vtec. i had the money to buy whatever car i pleased , so looking back , id be in a civic Si(R here) or GSR 100%. i know what your saying about D17 being a stroked D16 , but you gotta admit , its different than stroking an engine further than was designed for. im just biding my time dude , soon as my car is paid for , im getting a K engine. mark my words. my only prolem now , is whether or not to put the 200 horse K24 6spd in it , or type s.

Archived