How can I improve low end power?

Col

I know that the VTec is famous for sluggish low end power (in the name of economy). I love the thing once it is wound up, but it would be nice to have something a bit earlier. Are there any after-market products which help the low revs, or even a way to get the VTec to change the timing a little earlier? Oh, and does anyone have some good excuses to tell the wife explaining why the front tyres are wearing so quickly?o:)

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are VTEC controllers that can change the RPM at which it engages, but Honda has it pretty dialed in from the factory. Obviously I/H/E will gain you some power. A SRI is better for low-mid power. Outside of that, some kind of forced induction like a turbocharger.

Prelude are set at 5200 RPM from the factory which is a great setting, I have pretty decent low end power with the mods I have, 3'' mandrel bent exhaust piping with Apex'i N1 canister, Skunk2 pro intake manifold, BDL fuel rail w/ aeromotive fuel pressure reg, BDL cam gears, BDL 66mm throttle body, Crower stage 3 cams w/ crower valve springs and retainers, Exedy stage 2 clutch w/ Fidanza 8.5lb flywheel, intake, DC ceramic header (went cheap because replacing soon with turbo manifold) also removed AC and cruise control, had to take out cruise control to fit intake manifold. Also gonna get it tune pretty soon on my Hondata S300

You've heard the opposite from HF, which is false Info. My teg has a 4-2-1 and my Del Sol had a 4-1. I did that on purpose because I wanted the 4-1 to help accentuate the B16's great top end and the 4-2-1 helps accentuate the torquier B18C1 engine.

That's usin' your head. Now I know the truth...

Oh well, it'll be fine since I tend to drive real light most of the time out of habit, and I don't rev above 3500 unless I'm getting on my car for the 20 seconds I ever do it every now and then. So I should keep my everyday situation comfortable this way.

Thanks for some useful info.

I have heard that intakes are the best value "bang for bucks" upgrades, so maybe this is the place to start. I see a "Short Ram Intake" suggested - these are the cheapest, but is a full intake going to be better? I have found a site in Canada called Cosmo Racing that offers cheapish products - www.cosmoracing.com - should I be avoiding lesser known companies like this?

Yeah, money's an issue - having spent more than we planned on getting a newer model Prelude, every addition is going to need "management" approval. She's already cheesed off that I stuck some all season tires on only to discover that I going to need some winter boots for the snow :crazy:

Prelude has an H22, they only make a 421 header for the H22. Oh my bad Nate you prolly didn't notice what car he had, it says on the little info on the said that "col" had a 1998 Prelude

the whole 4-2-1 vs. 4-1 debate seems to be obselete with the technology these days....read here to check out what's going on with choosing a header.

Team-Integra articles are great sources of info in case anybody had any technical questions....

Prelude has an H22, they only make a 421 header for the H22. Oh my bad Nate you prolly didn't notice what car he had, it says on the little info on the said that "col" had a 1998 Prelude

Yep, it's an H22. Apologies for not being tech savvy - but what is a header, what does it do, how much does a 421 header cost approximately, can I fit it myself and what do I gain by this mod?

I actually had a chance to open it up a little today (first time since I've had it), and they are pretty fun without any changes. I am going to have to learn not to make a habit of doing that!

OKAY, I'M FRUSTRATED BY THIS CAR AND I HAVE ONLY HAD IT A WEEK :rant:

I've grown up in England where we have some nifty little GMs, Fords, VWs, Renaults etc which can all knock out some low end power and zoom around like insects. Here you don't have a similar market, so the niche is filled by the high revving Japanese cars, V8 gas guzzlers and trucks. I'm not used to it, and I can't afford a Beemer.

So I start with a Mazda Protege. I can't afford the MazdaSpeed, so I get a 2.0ltr ES. It's slow unless you rev the knickers off it, and it feels as if it's going to fall to bits if you drive it fast all the time. So I research a few cars, and after being convinced not to buy a 300hp Fairlady because of Calgary weather I decide that the Prelude seems "capable". 190hp compared to my old 130hp Vauxhall (GM), 0-60mph in 7.5 (as opposed to my GM's 7.9) and 2.2ltr v 2.0. So to my wife's digust I buy the Prelude instead of putting up with the Protege.

The Prelude is just a faster version of the Mazda that doesn't feel like it will fall apart. The power doesn't appear unless you are above 5000 revs, so to drive it fast you have to accelerate hard and change gear at the redline. So you are either going slow or racing. I don't want to do either. By the time you hit the valve change in 2nd you are going around 75kmh. I am not planning on taking tight corners at 75, so I am out of the power band and not able to throw it around like my old GM. Basically, the Prelude is a track car - it would blow my GM away on a circuit, but around London? Yeah, I don't recall seeing the boy racers driving them.

Have I bought the wrong car? I am just driving it wrong? Is it just set up wrong? I don't have the money to fully kit it out, and if I do chuck more in it has to to achieve the results I want - not more hp or top speed, but more low end power. If I stick a 421 header and a CAI on it will that solve my issues, or will I just be another grand out of pocket?

I know I am ranting, but that's because I know there are some people here who can offer me sound advice. Should I just buy a Mustang and a good life insurance for the winter? D'OH, can't afford the gas...

Well, I have 130 bhp, and 128 ft/tq and I'm more than content for now.

I don't see why you're having such a big problem...if you want more power than just put an intake, header, and exhaust on....for faster revs put a 8 lb flywheel on, i mean this just doesn't make sense....

Well, I have 130 bhp, and 128 ft/tq and I'm more than content for now.

I don't see why you're having such a big problem...if you want more power than just put an intake, header, and exhaust on....for faster revs put a 8 lb flywheel on, i mean this just doesn't make sense....

I'm just ranting, sorry :(

There is a part of me that thinks I should have got an Integra without the VTec. There is a part of my wife that thinks I need to grow up! There is an even bigger part of her that reminds me that I am already 3k over our original max budget on this car...

I think I am going to get a CAI. I can get one at http://www.cosmoracing.com for $79 - is there really going to be a huge difference between a cheap one and and a more respected brand? Can you suggest something else that't not too expensive if you don't recommend using Cosmo?

I am not going to get a new exhaust system just yet - I don't see the point in going budget on this, so I'll wait until spring by when I should have fixed the 3k deficit mentioned above.

A lightened flywheel sounds like a good idea (thanks for bringing that up). Back in the UK I had a mate who would engineer them in an aircraft shop and get old Triumphs and MGs running quickly. Please confirm - a lighter flywheel gives more acceleration but a lower top end? Is this an expensive addition (I will not be able to fit this)? Cosmo also have a lightened crank pulley - is this different and will it have a similar effect?

I really don't know why I am not satisfied - maybe the car isn't running correctly. I was lent a V8 Mustang for a few months last year, maybe I am looking for that kind of feel. Even I know that is unrealistic!

Lower it. No matter what the vehicle is,...lower it and it seems like you're going faster. You're really not, but hey, you're trying to get apple juice from an orange.

:D

You've heard the opposite from HF, which is false Info. My teg has a 4-2-1 and my Del Sol had a 4-1. I did that on purpose because I wanted the 4-1 to help accentuate the B16's great top end and the 4-2-1 helps accentuate the torquier B18C1 engine.

it has to do with runner length. the 4-1 header has shorter runners, which makes better top end, the 4-2-1 has longer runners which gives better low end. same goes for the IM. Just look at the 5.0 foxbody mustangs. that Intake Manifold has crazy long runners. that engine is made for torque. if you want better low end, get an IM with longer runners, and you should get an IM spacer too, it eliminates heat sink and gives you just a little more runner length. it also gives you 2-3 better mpg after the enging warms up. colder intake temps!

Honestly I think you're expecting too much. A stock Prelude has more power than a stock Integra. Sounds like you want to drive like an ass. If that is truly the case, sell it and buy a GM crapbox.

Archived