CTR - LSD grinding into reverse?

b16bhonda

this started out of nowhere two days ago...whenever the motor is running and i shift into reverse, there's that infamous grinding coming from the linkage. it doesn't do it at all when i've got my foot on the clutch shifting through the gears, but when i hit reverse, there's grinding. it grinds just going from neutral to reverse, but if i shift around into 1st or 2nd before putting it into reverse, it's fine. any suggestions? there's a 2-month old exedy stage 1 clutch/exedy flywheel in it. haven't had any problems whatsoever until now.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

its not normal it shouldnt do it. if it was normal it would have done it all along and not recently started doing it. it could be worn throwbearing , clutch slave or master cyl.. sounds like your clutch isnt quite disengaging. SSR can vouch for this too , when you step on the clutch with car not moving like going for reverse , your main and countershafts stop spinning so your reverse can engage safely. if your shafts dont stop spinning when you step on the clutch(for whatever reason like slave cyl. for example) , it will grind. so id say your clutch isnt disengaging all the way properly. in which case its most likely what controls that aspect of it.

You've got a bad reverse synchro.

cant be cause there is no synchro for reverse.

taking off in either 1st or 2nd gear, there is a very very slight scraping noise...you can hear it while going over a bump in the road while in gear. so i'm starting to think it's more of a clutch problem than a shifter. but this is practically a new clutch. ???

sounds like a throwbearing. just have the car idle while your sitting still , and step and let go of the clutch a few times listening to the changes in sound of the tranny. come back and tell me everything you notice. sounds like you may just need a throwbearing.

just sitting with the motor running...when clutch pedal is pressed and released, no noise. only when the car is moving. it almost sounds like the warning tab on the brake pads when they get low, but it's more pronounced than that...plus i just replaced the pads 2 weeks ago. but i was doing some heavy braking after i put on the pads, so could have i worn them down so quickly? i'm still thinking it's a clutch problem though. ever since we put the new clutch in, there's absolutely no free-play in the pedal...it's been stiff as a board with the engagement point about 3/4 of the way up.

its not fukin normal for a car to grind. he just said he put a clutch in it and it has no freeplay. boom theres your prolem right there. like i said its not disengaging fully. and you of all people should know this SSR , calling me stupid all the time, cmon man. you need at least 3/4 of an inch of freeplay and it should start to grab no more than halfway up. thats your prolem dude dont listen to these guys , friggen normal for a car to grind? gimme a break.

the reason it works when you hit a forward gear first is cause they have synchros and wont grind , and once in in a forward gear with clutch in your shafts stop spinning . thats why your getting it into reverse that way without grinding , putting it in a forward gear is stopping them from spinning long enough to get it into reverse.

its not fukin normal for a car to grind. he just said he put a clutch in it and it has no freeplay. boom theres your prolem right there. like i said its not disengaging fully. and you of all people should know this SSR , calling me stupid all the time, cmon man. you need at least 3/4 of an inch of freeplay and it should start to grab no more than halfway up. thats your prolem dude dont listen to these guys , friggen normal for a car to grind? gimme a break.

the reason it works when you hit a forward gear first is cause they have synchros and wont grind , and once in in a forward gear with clutch in your shafts stop spinning . thats why your getting it into reverse that way without grinding , putting it in a forward gear is stopping them from spinning long enough to get it into reverse.

Grinding going into reverse is common on Hondas. Same goes for the occasional 3rd gear.

haha that was a good one ssr......moron.....

grinding gears is always normal, along with lots of valve chatter, backfiring, and shards of metal in your oil.

eh, just let it go, its ok for your tranny.

wait a second....doesn't ssr sell trannys? his advice on what to do with this problem would make me want to buy a tranny from him....yeah....right...

get that freeplay adjusted dude!

Dude, he is saying it's normal for a Honda tranny to do that. Every Honda I have ever been in will grind from time to time in reverse. It doesn't mean your car is broken. I agree with the clutch part, but for Christ's sake, chill out. Don't be quick to judge, when I'm sure you have said some things without reading every word before. So I'm having to lay down the STFU card on that one.

Try this. In neutral let out the clutch. Then push in the clutch, count to 10, try going into reverse. If it doesn't grind then you're good. If it does you've got a clutch going out.

same thing...it's a new clutch though...disc, plate, bearings, flywheel are all new. master and slave cylinders are jdm stock...is there any other way to adjust the clutch engagement besides tuning the little clutch rod next to the gas pedal?...because imo that's a real pain

thats it. and once you play with it and get it perfect it wont grind anymore. although its odd you would have that problem with a hydro clutch but it happens. what kind of clutch did you install?

if i'm not wrong, fidanza is 7.5 lbs...mine's about a half-pound or so heavier, but i wanted to keep it one name...it's a really nice setup. i used to have an ACT in my sohc tranny, and i definately like exedy more. seems to be a much more aggressive clutch in high rpms

Archived