my velvet interior

so about a year ago i decided i wanted to do some work on the interior of my car. i didnt want to go the spray paint route because well, yeah RIIICE. the vinyl and leather was way too common and i couldt get a good enough color match for the milano red. i saw a sol with crushed velvet, it looks kinda blotchy so i decided to go with regular velvet. plus its red velvet and girls love to rub it.

i checked out joanns fabrics (my mom is a regular there for all her crafty stuff) and they had probably about 6 different red velvets. i took samples and found the best color match and bought a few square yards. we had a coupon or it was on sale so i paid about 20 bux for everything.

if youre looking to do a velvet interior, i would steer you away from it for 3 reasons

1. i have it and i want to be the only one (but if you really want to you can too)

2. it doesnt stretch even if you heat it like leather/vinyl does so getting it to fit and stay on the corner pieces (rear speaker covers)

3. you have to be careful with the spray adhesive because if you use too much, it will bleed through even though the can says it wont. if youre using a darker velvet, im not sure if it will be a problem.

if you still want to go through with the velvet i would recommend3M's super 77 spray adhesive. you really want the strongest stuff out there because when the glue starts to let go it looks crapty. i made the mistake of using some random ass spray adhesive and it started to bubble after a month or so.

i started with the long middle piece behind the seats between the speaker covers because its straight and very easy. cut out a piece of velvet and test fit it so you have enough to cover the whole thing. leave a few extra inches around the sides so you can glue it to the back. clean the surface really well. ive heard sanding it lightly helps, but i didnt do it. spray a light even coat on the plastic and a light coat on the velvet. check the bottle to see what they say for best results (how long you should let it dry before putting the pieces togehter). make sure it doesnt bleed through. you can use a spare piece of velvet to see how much adhesive you can use before it bleeds through. its easiest if you have 1 or 2 other people to help you lay the velvet down. start laying it down on one side, and work your way to the other. if you have a person hold up the velvet and you can slowly push it on the panel. using a credit card or bondo spreader works well. if you get a bubble, you can pull the velvet up a little and flatten it out with the credit card.

the corner pieces are the hardest by far. i went through many pieces of velvet because it does not stretch and the panel bends in a couple different directions. you may want to use 2 pieces and sew them together. one pieces for the front, and one piece for the triangular top part. take the speaker grill out and test fit a piece of velvet. if you cut an x in the hole where the speaker cover is, you can glue the velvet to the back there, and when you put the speaker cover back on, it helps hold the velvet down. for the curved pieces on the top, if you cut slits in the velvet that will be on the back of the panel, it helps make the round shape. i cant really give you a detailed way of doing the corners because i tried so many different ways and i dont really remember how i did those.

as for the door panels, those were fairly easy. it would be a lot easier if the upper panel came off the door, but they dont. take the door panel off the car and take off the door handle. its pretty basic from here, just glue the velvet down. as for the edges, you can get some spray adhesive in the crack running along the bottom of the panel (grey) to the rest of the door panel. use a credit card or butter knife to tuck the velvet into the cracks.

i also did the roof later on which was very easy because it was one flat piece. then my mom also sewed a shift and brake book out of velvet which fit perfectly. if you decide to go this route, we could probably make you boots if you sent us the material, its fairly easy. if you know someone who knows how to use a sewing machine, youre set. just take the boots off. and trace out a template on a piece of paper. cut the velvet to that size, and sew it together.

hope this long ass post helps you out. if i wasnt specific anywhere or you have any problems just let me know. good luck.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How much velvet did you need to buy to do your entire interior (allowing for some test pieces and mistakes)? I'm hoping to go get the supplies tomorrow or Wednesday, so I'm into specifics now.

i think maybe 2 or three square yards. it depends on if youre going to include the roof and boots or not. i think i just went outside and measured the area of panels, and rounded up.

im excited to see how yours turns out

Right on. I'm gonna go get the stuff tomorrow. I'm doing the stuff you covered in red with grey (except for the boots -- those I'll do black) and the rest black.

I might want to replace my carpeting in the car to make it match better. Anyone know how to do that? I would imagine I could just rip it up and staple some new stuff down...

Seat covers would be nice. Once I get back from France I think I'll try to get some black/grey suede covers made (my mom's pretty handy with sewing too, so perhaps she could teach me).

Also, has anyone seen the LED floor lighting option in the Scions? I think it looks pretty sweet, and I'm gonna rig something like that up for when you open the doors. All in all, it'll be a pretty tricked out interior for not much money.

Hopefully it'll all be done by the end of the summer, but I'll post pics along the way. Thanks for the post, airjordan223. Any more tips people have to offer -- I'd love to hear them.

I guess I could also just use some really strong glue. You ever used that Gorilla Glue? Some kid built a toothpick bridge with that stuff for a physics project in high school and his won just cuz he used that glue. It was like a rock, and it looked like the weakest bridge outta the whole class.

200 bucks is too many bucks. I'll go buy the carpet I want by the square yard and cut/glue it myself. Not to call your suggestion stupid, I'm just broke, nigga, I'm broke!

Edit: By the way, how did you do the LED thing? You should compete with airjordan223 and make a post about that...

I will make one when I get the actual time one day.

But def will, if others are interested.

Gorilla Glue is great, but I'm sure there is something better to use for automotive carpeting .. but that's just me.

Are you saying you won't make the thread just for me? Haha... just kidding. I'm not your spurned, jealous lover. Yet.

Yeah, I dunno what's going on with me tonight... Sorry.

You're probably right about the gorilla glue. I'll do my research when it comes time to do the work.

yeah i have 4 red streetglow neons in my car, never thought of wiring them to turn on when you open the door, but that would be real sweet. post that ish up solles

i have my stock floormats, i really like them with the red del Sol and zig zag kinda, but the owner before me had spikes on his heels and wore holes in it. i tried finding new ones just like them but they had every color but red. so i might buy some black ones with the del sol logo for like 50

Archived