B 16 head, IS IT GOOD?

ok i might be able to snag a JDM b16 head off an SIR locally, i THINK its OBD1 (pretty sure)

lets sayit is OBD1 and odds are in my favor..

will this be a good head for my LSVTEC? also, are the springs and retainers the same as a USDM spec? because obviously with it being older and unknown miles i want to replace them.

thanks!

i just mean i didn't know if there was any differences in the SIR heads or the regular b16 heads, or will they both perform the same. i know next to nothin about the b16 heads, and also if the springs and retainers are all the same? cause i was gonna prolly get crower springs and retainers w/ stage 2 cams.

i might be able to pick this engine up for 3 or 400 bucks believe it or not. some old guy that owns a business across the street bought the whole engine and tranny for his nephew, his nephew only needed the tranny so now he's stuck with the engine and has been for the past year. so i told a guy that works there, jokingly that is, to tell him 300 bucks and i'll take it, so he did, and i guess the old man said "sounds reasonable, i'll think about it"

i went over there today to find out if its OBD1 or 0, but he didn't have the papers with him today.

is there any way to tell by looking at the engine?

i dont understand how your associating obd anything with the head. what does its obd version have to do with how much air the head flows? all B16 engines since like 89 have same power output so i dont get your point here ssr. if hes got a B16 head than it dont matter what year it is its good. B16A (89-91 SiR , 160 horse. also 92-95 SiR 170 horse), B16A1(160 horse SiR) , and B16A4(170 horse SiRII) .

It sounds like this is just a very mild build so whats it matter which VTEC head you use?

If it is OBDO trash it. Those heads flow like poo

that my friend is known as a contradiction. i still dont know what your talkin about. any difference in the porting of the heads is bound to be very mild if any.USDM B16 engines all have same horsepower rating, so take it from there. how can one head flow any better without making more power is what im sayin? and once again ill say that the OBD version has nothing to do with the head. you can say this year head is better than this one, but you cant say obd "this" head is better than obd "this" head cause obd has nothing to do with the head or what it can flow. so if your gonna pass up on a pre 92 B16 head cause you think it flows crapty your as crazy as a crap house rat cause there the same.

just gonna put in my $.02 here...not like i know what im talking about though.

Doesn't OBD0, OBD1, and OBD2 refer to what years the car was made? 0=oldest, 2=newest? but you would think honda did some modifications to the head of their b16 motor between OBD0 years and OBD2 years wouldn't you? So, the newer heads might actually flow better then the older heads, therefore making ..ssr.. correct. I'm not trying to correct you Cranny, im just trying to put 2 and 2 together, you know?

i agree. plus wouldn't there be a wiring issue using an OBD2 block, OBD0 head, and OBD1 computer?

regardless, i only want it if its OBD1, because if i didn't use the head i'd resell it, and an OBD0 engine has considerably less value.

and cranny, its not a USDM engine, its JDM

so does anyone know a way to tell the dif. by examining the engine? thanks!

oh ok, didn't think i was right.

i just though obd0 is the older honda's and obd2 is newer honda's. oh well, can't be right about everything...

He wouldn't be putting a VTEC head on if he doesn't care about performance. Since he does care, he should get a OBD-I or higher head.

Get an OBD0 and OBDI head and have them flowed. You'll see the difference. The difference is not all in the ports.

run the numbers it will tell you the year. and it dont matter what year it is , if its a good head than buy it and run it.

honda is honda dude. dont make it complicated. even though its a JDM model , the head is the exact same as we have here. EXACTLY. the year of the head dont really matter. you can run any dis. on it you want. they all have same specs , same firing order so on so forth.

Archived