RSX Type S Upgrades

WIZUD

Should I go GReddy or DC Cat Back? V2 Cold Air induction or regular AEM Cold Air Intake? 4-1 or 4-2-1 Headers? Ceremic, Stainless or Polished Headers? This is for my 2003 RSX Type S. Also what should I focuse on next one I take care of Exhaust, Headers, Intake. Thanks Laterzzz.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yoo, my friend had an Type-S A-spec that I helped him work on many times, here was his set-up, it was beautiful

Greddy Evo 2 Cat-back Exhaust

AEM V2 Short-Ram Intake

Comptech Supercharger

DC-Sports 4-2-1 Ceramic Race Header

9 psi pulley

K-pro engine management

the Greddy Evo 2 sounded nicer than any exhaust I've heard on a Honda/Acura

AEM V2 sucks so much air so hard, i love that intake

If you search around these are the mods you'll find most RSX owners have been happy with

DC Race Header

Greddy Exhaust

Injen Cold Air Intake

Hondata Intake Manifold Gasket

Hondata chipped ECU

Engine Torque Dampners (eliminate wheel hop)

There's a lot of RSX Type S's out there hitting very low 14's and some even into the high 13's with those mods. That's really quick for a very mild n/a setup on a car.

Quote from Hondata website

Hondata have developed a special high temperature insulating gasket which replaces the stock intake gasket. This and bypassing several heat sources significantly reduces the transfer of heat from the head to the intake and incoming air giving you up to 5% more power.

Basically the stock IMG has a tendency to transfer heat from the block into the Intake Manifold which causes the air to heat up making it less dense, thus losing power. The Hondata gasket gets rid of that problem and reduced the amount of heat transfered into the Intake Manifold.

I'm interested in purchasing an RSX-S and I would like to know what I would have to do to it to be able to keep up with a 2000 S2000 with a Tanabe Medallion exhaust, test pipe, Comptech intake, and VAFC?

Would it even be worth it?

I'm interested in purchasing an RSX-S and I would like to know what I would have to do to it to be able to keep up with a 2000 S2000 with a Tanabe Medallion exhaust, test pipe, Comptech intake, and VAFC?

Would it even be worth it?

yes that would be worth it.

do what i posted above in this thread, his car put 250 whp and 195 tq.

that would take an S2000 with a couple bolt-ons.

oh and if you're wondering

Greddy Evo 2 Cat-back Exhaust-$600

AEM V2 Short-Ram Intake-$220

Comptech Supercharger$2200

DC-Sports 4-2-1 Ceramic Race Header-$400

9 psi pulley-$60

K-pro engine management-$no idea, not too much

we did most of the work, but got the car dynoed and professionally tuned after the supercharger installation, which cost around $300

That's a lotta bank to be able to run with an S2k. Guess there's never an easy solution to any of lifes problems. By the time I get the $ for an S/C Shawn will be running a Turbo'ed S2k, then all bets are off.

So what's the HP's for a type-S running a CAI, Hedders, Test Pipe and Exhaust?

That's usually what happens when you race a sports car that is 8-10,000 more than your car. You'll have to sink some good money to keep up. There are a lot of turbo kit options out there too if you're willing to spend the time searching for them.

That's a lotta bank to be able to run with an S2k.....

So what's the HP's for a type-S running a CAI, Hedders, Test Pipe and Exhaust?

Actually, stock for stock, RSX-S and S2Ks really aren't that much different in 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. If you're in doubt then check out caranddriver.com. In fact according to Car & Driver, the RSX-S is just barely quicker than the S2K in a street start (5mph-60mph). When my car was stock I raced a stock S2K from a roll and ran dead even with him. Also the S2K weighs a little more. Another thing that helps out the 05-06 RSX-S is the 4.765 FD. However, the S2K does have better handling and would take a RSX-S top end. So you really only have to have a couple of bolt-ons to run with, or even beat a S2K with a RSX-S.

As for hp, 05-06 RSX-S have been getting 200+whp with CAI, race header, and exhaust. The highest I've seen so far is 212whp. w00t

Okay, stock RSX type S is a 15 second car and if you want to argue that clubrsx has hundreds of users w/ type s's that will agree. Stock S2000 runs 13.9-14.0 stock. That's nowhere near close. Oh, and the S2k weighs less than a type s. Granted type s's can be quick w/ bolt on's, it will take a full list of bolt-on's to run with a stock S2000. Oh and this is according to all the users at clubrsx.com so if they're impartial at all, it's to the type s's advantage.

Okay, stock RSX type S is a 15 second car and if you want to argue that clubrsx has hundreds of users w/ type s's that will agree. Stock S2000 runs 13.9-14.0 stock. That's nowhere near close. Oh, and the S2k weighs less than a type s. Granted type s's can be quick w/ bolt on's, it will take a full list of bolt-on's to run with a stock S2000. Oh and this is according to all the users at clubrsx.com so if they're impartial at all, it's to the type s's advantage.

Yes a new S2K owns any RSX but if I read correctly, a 2000 S2K is the car mentioned and so I was comparing the '00 S2K and the '05 Type-S (I probably should have mentioned that). The 2000 model was only a 2.0 not the current 2.2L. While the power output was similar, the times were slightly slower. Based on tests run on a 2000 S2K and the 05 type-S the times actually are similar. 2000 S2K was tested anywhere from 14.1-14.4 while the '05 type-s has been tested anywhere from 14.6-15. Yes, I know I'm picking and choosing which test times to use but if you take the 14.4 and the 14.6 test times then yes, it is close. Oh and by the way, '05 RSX-S with just CAI/RH/E combos have run as fast as 13.6 so clearly that is faster than any stock S2K and it is only 3 bolt-on parts not a "full list." With all that being said I want to clear up before someone takes this the wrong way, in no way do I think that the S2K is a bad car or that the RSX is the best car evAr. All I'm trying to say is that a '00 S2K vs. a '05 RSX-S stock for stock could very well be a drivers race and with 3 bolt ons the RSX has a very good chance at winning. I only say this because I have seen it first hand.:thumbsup:

As for the weight I misread :blush: . The RSX weighs 2840 with the S2K weighing 2809. I thought sure I read 2908...my bad...another dislexic moment. :crazy:

Archived