WHAT RWKW HAVE YOU ACHIEVED...............................

dilema

hello... ive just gone to some motorsports shops around the sydney area and have come up with this..

Just about to buy an s2k and want to work the motor...

exhaust

headers

hondata computer

Inlet induction

cams, cam gears

that all sounds good to me but not one can give me a rough idea on how much rwkw that will put out...

So how much rwkw do you's have with what mods... thanks

You seriously won't see much gain with those mods on an S2000. That car is tuned so well and designed so well from the factory that you about have to go f/i to get decent gains. Because of the good design of the S2000 and F20C, people often lose hp with certain combo's of aftermarket parts. Do your research and make sure you get stuff that works well together. browse around s2ki.com and see some setups to get good ideas.

I don't want to start an argument with you but my dad and I test drove both an 01 S2000 and an 01 Z3 3.0, and we both liked the S2000 better. In case your wondering, my dad was bias.......he had it in his mind he wanted the Z3 ahead of time. After driving both, the S2000 felt like a more solid sports car. The shifter was much shorter and more solid in the S2000 and the throttle response on the Z3 wasn't quite as good. He ended up buying the S2000. To be honest, we were really suprised at how poor the Z3 was, and maybe it was just a dud or something. Those are my experiences.

there's and s2k in town with an hks exhaust. the engine mounts must be crazy stiff on those things because when he rev's it the whole car twists to the side a little bit. the engine is actually louder than the exhaust.

• 1 month later...
hello... ive just gone to some motorsports shops around the sydney area and have come up with this..

Just about to buy an s2k and want to work the motor...

exhaust

headers

hondata computer

Inlet induction

cams, cam gears

that all sounds good to me but not one can give me a rough idea on how much rwkw that will put out...

So how much rwkw do you's have with what mods... thanks

I would agree with HungGSR on this, becareful of what you buy. Have a game plan before doing anything.

I like Toda, J's, Spoon when going N/A if you have money to spend. Unfortunately they don't make hondata for S2K and you would have to go with something like AEM EMS further down the line. Don't think about going Cams, Cam Gears, Retainers without going with that standalone computer first and doing a full on port/polish. Also try this Canadian website a try, they're good at knocking off stuff and the official distributor for J's Racing in North America. www.aj-racing.com

And to answer your question of how much to set aside the moment you get your new whip: Intake $400, Header <edit> $1000, Exhaust (assuming going TI single exit) $1200, Throttle Body $650 (i recommend going no more than 68mm straight through and bore the manifold to match), Test Pipe $100 (unless you're running a header back exhaust system), AEM EMS $1200, Light Flywheel & Clutch $800 (highly recommended, mine was slipping bad @ 40,000 mi). Without the cost of tuning or installing, your total is roughly under $5500 USD.

I would agree with HungGSR on this, becareful of what you buy. Have a game plan before doing anything.

I like Toda, J's, Spoon when going N/A if you have money to spend. Unfortunately they don't make hondata for S2K and you would have to go with something like AEM EMS further down the line. Don't think about going Cams, Cam Gears, Retainers without going with that standalone computer first and doing a full on port/polish. Also try this Canadian website a try, they're good at knocking off stuff and the official distributor for J's Racing in North America. www.aj-racing.com

And to answer your question of how much to set aside the moment you get your new whip: Intake $400, Headers $1000, Exhaust (assuming going TI single exit) $1200, Throttle Body $650 (i recommend going no more than 68mm straight through and bore the manifold to match), Test Pipe $100 (unless you're running a header back exhaust system), AEM EMS $1200, Light Flywheel & Clutch $800 (highly recommended, mine was slipping bad @ 40,000 mi). Without the cost of tuning or installing, your total is roughly under $5500 USD.

don't touch the computer.

i would just say intake, and an exhaust. don't even bother with a headER (there's one)

unless you go forced induction.

Turbo all the way. i have seen some crazy turbo S2ks.

and just to back up Hung and s2kl33n, be careful what you buy like they said. some performance parts do more harm than help. thats just like the g35, it responds the same way as the s2k.

don't touch the computer.

i would just say intake, and an exhaust. don't even bother with a headER (there's one)

unless you go forced induction.

Corrected, common typing habit I guess?

im not starting an arguement or anything, i just don't want people spreading mis information, someone could read this, and in another post say headers, and someone will rip them a new one.

my opinion, don't touch the computer unless you are HIGHLY experienced. get exhaust work done, and an intake. besides that forced induction is the key.

opinions are like buttheads, everyones got one.

im not starting an arguement or anything, i just don't want people spreading mis information, someone could read this, and in another post say headers, and someone will rip them a new one.

my opinion, don't touch the computer unless you are HIGHLY experienced. get exhaust work done, and an intake. besides that forced induction is the key.

opinions are like buttheads, everyones got one.

Headers or Header, okay I get your point. But if anyone is asking about headers (yes I know it's plural because there are many different headers available) for an S2000, I sure hope they'll know how many to buy. Actually, just leave the car alone all together.

I'm gonna elaborate on Mtndew's post. The stock ECU these days are pretty smart to readjust the A/F ratio on the fly.

Buying an exhaust is key, to opening up (but not much) more power, but the reason why I would get an aftermarket exhaust is to reduce weight. The S's stock exhaust is very restrictive in the muffler design. I can go more into that if needed and provide pics I found from the web when someone opened it up. I went with a custom 2.5" exhaust system, much like Powerhouse Amuse but mine is header back & single exit. Why single exit? No need to carry extra weight when the system isn't full TI. Up to you which route you want to go, just make sure it's the right size piping you want.

Intake, decent bang for the buck power there as long as it isn't a short ram.

Header, made out of thick metal (not sure of material now that I look at it). True, it's almost made perfectly. Equal length primaries. But why don't I like it? It's weighs a ton and the collector is small. I wouldn't get Comptech's 4 into 1 either because you lose low end power, go 4-2-1 like Mugen's R& D statement on KingMotorsports.com (the official Mugen distributor of No.America). Toda, J's, Amuse, makes the best and power (and the most expensive in that respective order) gain proven with the right exhaust & intake combination.

When you reach this point, it doesn't hurt to get it a $75 dyno for an a/f reading to see if a Piggyback or Standalone is neccessary with the combo you have. Might be good too if you had a dyno of your car prior to the installation of your mod. How else would you know if the stuff is detrimental?

Then if you need a computer, get it dyno tuned and mapped. You're working with a car that has been tuned to the max, but does have some room to free up restrictions that had to meet regulations.

• 4 months later...

Okay I know that I am new to the forum but I am not new to the S2000, and I agree with Hung when it comes to not touching the computer itself but you have another option. That is to use a fuel controller like the Apexi Vafc II. If tuned right with;exhaust, intake, cams, and came gears, you can see some good gains in power. I have a good freind in s2katlanta that has a well tuned setup with these adatives along with a new final drive gear (4.57) and clutch. He is making some good numbers. I think the last time we dynoed his car he was making about 250whp but i am not sure what the tourqe numbers were. He is happy with the setup.

But do what you want to do just get a good reliable tuner to set everythign up for you. That is my .02.

Archived