quick question

optional187

so...i looked up close at a s2000 yesterday and i noticed something wierd. right below the door on the side moldings (or just above them) the paint was all ribbed and bumpy. it looked like it was supposed to be like that, but i've never noticed that before. is it supposed to be like that? if so...the hell for?

what year was it? was it like this on both sides? i've never seen that on joey's s2k, but then again i never looked for it.

edit, nm, just asked joey and he said his is a little bit like that as well. the nsx may also have it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wrong....they do that from the dealer. I was told by various paint an body guys that this is to prevent chips (dumb idea I think). My dad's S2000 has that to and came like that when he bought it new. His is also a 2001. It is actually on the litte lip on the sides that almost goes under the car, so really not that noticable. I've seen a few other cars with this also, and usually more visable than the S2000.

Also, clearcoat is not that chip resistant. If it was then explain all the daily driven cars that have rock chips on the clearcoated front bumper.

Wrong....they do that from the dealer. I was told by various paint an body guys that this is to prevent chips (dumb idea I think). My dad's S2000 has that to and came like that when he bought it new. His is also a 2001. It is actually on the litte lip on the sides that almost goes under the car, so really not that noticable. I've seen a few other cars with this also, and usually more visable than the S2000.

Also, clearcoat is not that chip resistant. If it was then explain all the daily driven cars that have rock chips on the clearcoated front bumper.

Whoever told you that is full of crap. Clear coat is much more chip resistant than the older enamels.

it may be MORE resistant than older enamels, but it's not chip-proof. and i don't think it's so much of someone telling him that as it is from personal experience (and experiences of friends, etc) :rolleyes:

Whoever told you that is full of crap. Clear coat is much more chip resistant than the older enamels.

Yeah, I'm full of crap, since we bought a brand new S2000 with 2 miles on it and it had this rough texture built onto it on the very bottom of the sides. I'm sure that I just imagine it when I go out and look at it.

If I'm so full of crap, then why don't you explain why the hell they put that on there. Any ideas smart guy? Your title says badasscivic but it seems more like dumbasscivic. I've seen probably half a dozen cars with this including my old celica when I had it repainted. The guy that owns the body shop I go to can actually spray this on a car, so I'd say he knows what it is for.

And just like you said, clearcoat is more chip Resistant, not chip proof. I'd like you to show me one daily driven car that doesn't have some rock chips on the front bumper.

• 2 weeks later...

Its on the underside of just about ALL cars. More expensive cars paint it. Civics put side skirts over it.....climb under a civic and you'll see it under the floor boards.

Even on porsches, you can see it at the very bottom of the rocker panel. I believe it avoids chips and ALSO is a thicker rubbery primer so if it DOES chip, you don't have the problems that early 90s cars and previous had, where rockers rusted out if chipped.

Archived