Coilovers or Springs

I have a 95 civic ex coupe on cut springs and its workings just fine but I was planning to purchase something more better than the cut springs I got. I was wondering if someone could tell me what kind of spring or coilover I should go for but Im mainly looking towards springs

I've never heard anything about wheel hop/ any loss of traction when dealing with a decent set of coilovers. To be completely honest though, civics don't look so great lowered and it doesn't take a lot to f up you're wheels, we're talking like 1.25 inches is getting too low especially if you're rolling 17's or 18's.

But I've heard that coilovers are bad at top speeds and I heard civics get real bad bounces and start losing control. or am I wrong

don't listen to whoever you've been listening to. I wouldn't listen to the deathhorse either. lowering a civic is just fine. you won't have any problems with top speeds. the main reason Hondas eat up tires when lowered is alignment. toe will eat your tires. just get an alignment after you get it lowered and you'll be straight(no pun intended).

what exactly has the deathhorse misrepresented. You think the EX hasn't been through a front end alignment? Not a lot you can do about a wheel that touches the top of the fender on even the lightest bumps. Stick with a subtle drop if any and keep the wheels under 18" if you want to dodge any problems. Most shops will put the springs on then align the front end for free, that's the only reason I didn't mention it in my previous reply.

what size wheels, I don't want the man here thinking he can roll 18's, since that's what my dad had...I honestly will never believe that you dropped something 3", slapped on huge wheels, aligned the bastard and rolled away without ever rubbing a damn thing. Especially in a car that small...unless you cut out the inner fender walls or some ######-rig crap like that. Hell my trucks wheels used to rub and the lightning had a 3"drop all around ON A TRUCKS SUSPENSION which is roomier than any car...especially an Integra. How big are the rims on you're sol, cause my friend Derrick ran a 2" drop on coilovers, wherein the salesman informed him that anything above 16's would give him unnecessary problems...maybe the salesperson lied to him, seeing as how he could've sold derrick some 18's for a lot more and then could've taken in all that commission and left a kid spending his entire paycheck every 2 or 3 months from then on to buy new tires. BS....

my del Sol is lowered about 2" and I have no problem at all with rubbing on large bumps. my '93 integra was lowered 3" and I had no trouble with rubbing. if you have that much trouble with your lowered civic, your suspension setup sucks ass.

likewise. my sol is lowered 2.5" with 16" wheels. the crx (when it was last on the road) had a 2" drop and 16" wheels. no problems.

honestly, WHY does this person want to drive on 18" wheels on a CIVIC? if it's going to be a show car, just use the 18's for show purposes only.

what size wheels, cause the man here is wanting to roll 18's and that's what my dad had...I honestly will never believe that you dropped something 3", slapped on huge wheels, aligned the bastard and rolled away without ever rubbing a damn thing. Especially in a car that small...unless you cut out the inner fender walls or some ######-rig crap like that. Hell my trucks wheels used to rub and the lightning had a 3"drop all around ON A TRUCKS SUSPENSION which is roomier than any car...especially an Integra. How big are the rims on you're sol, cause my friend Derrick ran a 2" drop on coilovers, wherein the salesman informed him that anything above 16's would give him unnecessary problems...maybe the salesperson lied to him, seeing as how he could've sold derrick some 18's for a lot more and then could've taken in all that commission and left a kid spending his entire paycheck every 2 or 3 months from then on to buy new tires. BS....

if you put 18" rims on a civic and expect it to be a race car, you're an idiot.. I had 17" wheels on the Sol lowered 3". when lowered that much, you'll have negative camber. this negative camber will allow the tires to tuck a bit in the fenderwell. I now have 16"s and a 2" drop on omnipower coilovers and the Sol handles very well.

you proved my point...16's with a 2" drop, I never said there'd be a problem with that, in fact I wanna say that I gave an example of a friend I knew..oh wait look there it is

my friend Derrick ran a 2" drop on coilovers, wherein the salesman informed him that anything above 16's would give him unnecessary problems...maybe the salesperson lied to him, seeing as how he could've sold derrick some 18's for a lot more and then could've taken in all that commission and left a kid spending his entire paycheck every 2 or 3 months from then on to buy new tires.

I don't care how well your wheels tuck, with or without the right camber adjustments, if they rub the top of the inner fender wall on light bumps....you have a problem (it's worse in the rear)

I had 17" wheels on the Sol lowered 3".

did you miss the part where I said this?

again, I had my del Sol lowered 3" on Neuspeed coilovers with 17" wheels. the only problem I had was under hard cornering the tires would rub. I had no problems with normal speed bumps or anything like that. in fact, I had my car that way for over half a year and the tires still gripped somewhat decent. I had problems in the rain, but that comes with the engine build, NOT the suspension. in most cases, tire wear will be more effected by toe wear instead of camber wear.

if you'd like to argue with me more and continue to dig yourself into a deeper hole, just continue to say it's not possible. I'll gladly post pics of my del Sol lowered 3" on 17" wheels.

this is so hilarious!!

did you fellas consider the offsets?? :D

most 4 x 100 wheels will have the same offset for many different cars. miatas even have the same offset as civics, integras, del Sols, and whatever else. I have always had standard offset wheels and they fit perfectly fine.

Did you just say what I think you said,

the only problem I had was under hard cornering the tires would rub

No one has dug a hole here, and it's not like I am trying to mess with you. Stop acting like a pompous ass, you're not smarter than anyone on this forum(perhaps better informed than some, not including me...but certainly not smarter) If you can prove to me that my Dad's car hasn't had problems with the KYB coilovers that dropped him 2" all around and his 18" and 17" wheels, then please do so. I brought it by Lynn's yesterday and they said everything was installed properly and nothing could be done to change a thing, we had it lifted back up to stock height on the original springs and everything is working fine now.

Maybe you just couldn't here all the scraping and rubbing sound over your stereo or something, cause my dad had to go sideways to get over most speed bumps(one wheel at a time).

if you put 18" rims on a civic and expect it to be a race car, you're an idiot..
I don't think I said anything about racecars man

• 5 months later...

Archived