what do you guys think?

OTiS

looked at a del sol tonight. 95 Si 5spd. 177k miles.

Good

-DIdnt see any rust on quarters and they didnt sound like they were full of bondo

-new yokohama tires

-5 speed

-body looked to be in good condition (had a few scratches and spot on rear bumpber where was backed into a parked car (silly women drivers))

-new distributor and timing belt

-coolant looked good (no metallic flakes, was neon green, no gunky stuff on cap)

-oil looked good. wasnt dark. was able to see cam, valves

-picked up speed good (didnt feel like there was any loss of power)

-interior was good for a 95. ds seat had normal wear, astray and center consol were still intact.

-all lights worked

-didnt see any leaks in bay

-trunk looked great and didnt have any bad smells.

-drove good

-started on the first try

-idle seemd fine

-its a honda (del sol to boot)

-cheap insurance

BAD

-check engine light (guy at advanced auto couldent do a cel check but said it was prob an exhaust leak. put his hand over exhaust and said that)

-kinda high miles (177k)

-may have had a tick sound in motor but could have been normal sound (not 100% sure)

-no power steering

-couldent tell if it was cold and exhaust was smoking from that or if it was smoking due to other problems

he wants 2950 for it obo. he did say it had been resprayed before he bought it (bought it from a small dealer when his daughter turned 16). he said as far as he knew the targa didnt leak. he kept it garaged for a while because his daughter wanted something newer. he replaced the distributor because it died when his daughther was driving it and said the module in the dizzy was bad but when he replaced the dizzy it fixed it and started right up. what do you guys think??

find out what the cel code is, odds are the ticking is the valve lash needing to be adjusted, fawk power steering dS are so small they dont need it (i never have on all 3 of my sols, and on my hatch) , what color is the exhaust, white, blue, black?

without pics and w/o knowing the cel code (and not knowing the history of the car, aka get a carfax) i wouldnt make an offer on it tho.

find out what the cel code is, odds are the ticking is the valve lash needing to be adjusted, fawk power steering dS are so small they dont need it (i never have on all 3 of my sols, and on my hatch) , what color is the exhaust, white, blue, black?

without pics and w/o knowing the cel code (and not knowing the history of the car, aka get a carfax) i wouldnt make an offer on it tho.

i didnt make an offer. didnt wanna start ripping the car apart in front of him lol. i may pay for a carfax tomorrow. the smoke coming from the exhaust was white but not puffy white like when a headgasket blows. i was thinkin it was probably from where it was cold, and it decreased as he drove if that helps

whenever i have an exhaust leak the CEL doesnt pop on

and the tick sound may very well be an exhaust leak (if there is one).. take a paper clip with you when you go back and get the code

i think the guy would look at me a bit weird if i asked him to use a paperclip lol. i was thinkin about seein if he would take 2400 for it and go from there. i have a spare block and head so if anything goes bad i could swap out but tbh id rather use what comes on it. the guy at advanced auto put his hand over the exhaust and said thats what it was, how would you know?

cory you said the valves need adjusted (common problem with hondas from what iv heard) what could happen if i drove around for two weeks or so before i adjusted them?

air jordan the kbb is 75 lower than hes asking so i dont think its way too expensive. he said obo so i may be able to get him to drop it.

also im kinda needing a car now because the truck iv been driving took a dump on me today :(

Archived