f20b swap?

Drop Shock

I'm thinking about swapping out the d16 in my del sol for an f20b DOHC vtec engine. I found one for $599. What are the things I will need to purchace in order to make this work? I also was researching and I saw alot of people talking about similarities between the H22 and the f20. What parts that will work for an h22 will also work for an f20?

Trans, mounts, axles, wiring harness, shift kit... for the price its retarded, to properly put it in your car you will need suspension things, also a saw or hammer to actually fit it into the space. H22 is a better option, needs same stuff with better power.

power is about the same.. f20 actually uses some of the same replacement parts

h22 has better aftermarket support though

it'd be just as expensive as an h swap.. would really mess up weight distribution.. make it understeer worse.. i know a guy with a boosted h22 hatch.. i would never do it

power is about the same.. f20 actually uses some of the same replacement parts

h22 has better aftermarket support though

it'd be just as expensive as an h swap.. would really mess up weight distribution.. make it understeer worse.. i know a guy with a boosted h22 hatch.. i would never do it

the h22a has 223 to the crank and the f20b has 200 to the crank

i totally agree that the h22 has better support for aftermarket parts

i dont understand how it would be just as expensive. an H22a engine costs around $2,700 and from the same site I can get an f20 for 600?

if i could use alot of the replacement parts for an h22 than what is making up that extra $2100

and you'd never boost an h22 or do the f20 swap?

edit: I found a topic on honda-tech and this dude said this:

"Do it. The only parts you can't easily obtain are bottom-end related things. The cylinder head is nearly identical to H22, same intake and exhaust stuff, etc. Swaps just like an OBD2 H22, so follow the how-to's and you'll figure it out. Everything you need is in there, trust me.<BR itxtvisited="1">Just make sure you get the MANUAL transmission version, and get the T2T4 transmission if you can. The automatic version has 180hp to the manual's 200hp; the manual has H22 Type-S cams and a bigger throttle body. The T2T4 transmission that originally came in the manual transmission version has good ratios (identical to 5th gen. Prelude; nothing neuters an H22/F20B like an Accord transmission with long gears). It also has a limited slip differential, which will be a major plus for you. Do intake and exhaust mods; RMF or Hytech header (replicas OK), EuroR or Skunk2 intake manifold (also makes swapping to OBD1 much easier!), and it should make power up to 8,000 RPM, maybe a bit more. I'd use a chipped OBD1 P28, with the Skunk2 manifold to get rid of the secondaries, and tune it. The F20B loves timing advance, so there are big gains to be had with proper dyno tuning. "

If the f20b has the same intake and exhaust than i'd be set. I'd stay all motor so getting headers and a cat-back exhaust along with chipping it would be the most i'd probably do to it.

h's are more desirable.. which is why they are more $$

from what i've heard about the h vs f is the f already has upgraded cams and stuff.. you can do more to the h (im no expert here though).. friend of mine put a f20 in his car instead of an h22.. mainly because he liked the f20 better.. no other reason

just realize how much will go into this swap before you go buy the motor and end up running out of money and with a non running car for a while.. its NOT a common swap.. dont forget about mounting and fitment of everything as well.. as well as hooking up your gauges and fan and all your other sensors

and remember dont always believe what you read on the interwebs.. A LOT of people (esp. on honda forums) dont know what they are talking about and what they say has no basis in fact. Do some factual research on the f20 and h22 from info you DONT find on a forum.. forums are helpful but can be hurtful

and you can probably get a small turbo kit for the D for less $$ after the entire swap is said and done and tuned and make just as much power and be quite reliable

and no I wouldnt do an h swap.. or an f swap... Honda owners like swapping engines more then any other car owner I know and I dont really know why.. and H in my del would do nothing but be a pain.. cost me money that isnt worth spending IMO.. and make it harder for me to take a turn which means i'd spend even MORE on handling and suspension.. if I just wanted to go faster in a straight line I would do it.. but I could also just buy a faster car

I like my reliable and fun DD that gets 35 mpg.. I actually considered an H a while ago.. and then was looking at piecing a turbo kit together.. and then realized it was a FWD honda and I was fine with the few mods it had and the ZC.. its responsive and fun and thats all I need out of it

(im not a fan of skunk 2 either lol)

thanks sweetie.

the reason i want to do a swap is my engine is shot lol so if i were to buy a small turbo kit for the d i'd eventually have to buy another d engine as well.

I also really like the f swap because its not done alot. Idc if thats a stupid reason but I think indivduality is key when building your car

yah be an indivdual is nice.. also means I hope you have a good knowledge of how the hell to do it

cranny put a k in his car.. he also knows a lot about hondas

if you just need a replacement D look at a ZC.. they make the sohc non vtec... sohc vtec.. and a dohc

the sohc swap is basically plug and play and it has a few more torque and hp.. not sure what the dohc has off the top of my head but d-series.org has an entire section on them.. you dont see the ZC all the time cause it is a 'D' ( at least I dont see it much because people are B crazy here.. I was the only one with a zc for a while in my area until a guy with a crx put the dohc zc in his car)

lol im not too shabby with my honda knowledge but when and if I swap my motor its gonna be a while from now. I'm talkin like 4-6 months. By than I should know about enough to do the swap without too many problems. I'm a fast learner :)

Sarah, you say 200 lbs.... are we comparing no motor to motor.... no way in hell is it 200 lbs diff. Its more like 50 lbs. H22 have gone up in price since i last looked.

Also i ot 2 z6 swaps for free last year. And i wasnt even in the market for them.

I will drive up and get a z6 from you. I'll even give you twice what you paid.

First thing, stop listening to people telling NOT to do something. Just do whatever the hell you feel like doing. F swaps are not common in a civic because the majority of civic owners are retards. Yes, an f series motor isn't as exciting as an h and the first reason why is the prelude is a fun car and an accord is a boring family car. The next reason is most people are sheep and they all pile onto the bandwagon of the motor sucking because it's slightly lower power then an h and weighs just a little more then a d.

FYI, a full H swap weighs about 50lbs more then the typical d series motor. I don't know specifics on the F, but I would assume it is only a couple pounds more then the H. Perform a battery relocation, pull the AC or go from power steering to manual steering are each modifications that will more then negate the slight weight increase.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived