Buying a 96 Civic Hatchback!! what should i do??

ThiNguyen

So there is this 1996 red civic hatchback that someone was selling at 3500 but i got it lowered down to 2,800. the exterior of the car is red looks nice and clean with only one dent and has nice looking rims. the tires seem sort of bald on the outer side and they're firestone which i heard sucks. the it's said to have around 90,xxx on the d16y8 vtec motor but she could be bullcrapting. it has a.c., no power steering, and needs a radio. it's got del sol racing seats. the car's looks are decent but the thing is when she was driving it i swear it shakes & bounces a lot more then other civic hatchbacks i've road in. sometimes when she changes gears it shakes a little and once in a while it shakes. when the car comes to a stop the car's steering wheel shakes a lot! not over excessively but very noticable. she's selling me this car but doesn't know jack crap about cars. i think it may need new motor mounts or rotors but something is definitely up with the car.. i don't know if i should buy it or not. i mean i want the car but how much would it cost to get the motor mount fixed or the rotor?? plz tell me if i'm getting a good deal or not >_<

shaking when braking and coming to a stop is an indicator of needing a brake job, including rotors.

if the rotors are bad enough it can cause the car to have a shake just driving down the road.

96 hatches power steering depended on the trim line you bought. one trim came with, one trim came without. Since this is without I am guessing it is a CX because the DX came with air and p/s

motor mount wouldn't likely cause the car to shake when shifting. that's an item that would require significantly more info to figure out.

as for value. I sold my 00 dx hatch with 175k, mechanically perfect, no rust but rough paint and worn interior and steel 14" wheels with new tires for $2800. so her asking price doesn't seem out of line if it actually is a d16y8 that is properly installed and the interior and exterior are in very good condition.

If you really want the car take it to a service garage. almost every service garage will do a full inspection of the vehicle for around 75-100. Takes about an hour and they will tell you everything you could want to know and what it would run to do the initial needed repairs.

If I had 3500 and a need for a 2dr I would call you tonight and fly out this weekend to buy and drive home. that is a good price for a clean body hatch at those miles...very reasonble price.

You wouldn't happen to want to sell the wheels separate now would you?

So there is this 1996 red civic hatchback that someone was selling at 3500 but i got it lowered down to 2,800. the exterior of the car is red looks nice and clean with only one dent and has nice looking rims. the tires seem sort of bald on the outer side and they're firestone which i heard sucks. the it's said to have around 90,xxx on the d16y8 vtec motor but she could be bullcrapting. it has a.c., no power steering, and needs a radio. it's got del sol racing seats. the car's looks are decent but the thing is when she was driving it i swear it shakes & bounces a lot more then other civic hatchbacks i've road in. sometimes when she changes gears it shakes a little and once in a while it shakes. when the car comes to a stop the car's steering wheel shakes a lot! not over excessively but very noticable. she's selling me this car but doesn't know jack crap about cars. i think it may need new motor mounts or rotors but something is definitely up with the car.. i don't know if i should buy it or not. i mean i want the car but how much would it cost to get the motor mount fixed or the rotor?? plz tell me if i'm getting a good deal or not >_<

I would get it checked out by someone who knows civic's. Make sure everythings right especially if there's something funky with the gears.

I am in Ohio, so shipping would be required. If you would be willing to ship then I'll pm you and we can cover a few details.

be careful with that guy

hes the same guys who posted nothing but BS including the 'i have a k20 in my car' crap

You are talking the internet buying/selling king.

To date I have over 5000 successful internet sales transactions on my eBay account alone. That does not include the 7 years I worked for someone else selling their crap on their eBay/webstore accounts

• 1 month later...

i got a 96 civic ex coupe with a d16y7...everything is fine with the car except needs an O2 sensor thats it. and has about 40k mi on it bc i replaced the motor

Archived