Major Issue with my del sol

martin4o2005

the only reason i would get a del sol is for a h22. the extra weight up front from the "double firewall" would help in traction.

del sols are pretty much a preference. if you want to build a nice DD and are on a budget then turbo the D16 you have now. trust me, ive worked out every little detail and everytime the D series turbo comes out cheaper. (unless you go for 400+ whp, which is completely unnecessary for a DD). if you want to stay the all motor route then get a b16. its light, its got power, the only downside is youll have to switch mounts, axels, transmission, and some wiring. but in the end it has more power potential. i personally have seen two 500whp b16 del sols. they are daily driven too. its rough but doable.

here are some examples for prices

a rebuild for a d series turbo will cost around 1000-2000+

400 rods

100pistons

200 all gaskets

200 bearings

100 rings/oil

150-200 machine work(if needed)

150 balancing

250-300 clutch

500 dyno tune

turbo kit 500-1000

a b series swap will cost 2000+ most of the time. that doesnt include electric things youll need. but ive gotten lucky

$100 block, crank, mains

$65 shift linkage, rear main seal, crank gear, oil pan, coolant line, oil sandwhich plate, crankcase ventilation box, knock sensor, and some other things

$80 pistons and rods

$10 pickup tube

$50 4-1 header

$73 piston rings

$60 flywheel bolts

$60 water pump

$125 oil pump

$30 rod bearings

$55 main bearings

$15 thrust washers

$300 clutch kit

$180 flywheel

~$200 mounts

$100 ecu

~$400 transmission

~$300 head

$140 head studs

$250 motor work(including head)

$125 balancing

$170 axels

$100 suspension(lucky)

so either way its gonna get expensive.

heres some d's that have been worked on by a shop in the upstate

http://www.scautos.net/d16z6-60-1-9-1-compression-e85-dyno-tune-t220.html

bone stock del with a turbo bolted on : http://www.scautos.net/del-sol-d15b7-t3-t4-turbo-pump-gas-vs-e85-dyno-tune-t159.html

this one surprised me.. not much done but decent numbers: http://www.scautos.net/d16z6-50-trim-t3-t4-built-bottom-end-pump-gas-dyno-tune-t454.html shows what a good tuner can do

Actually, the Sol is still pretty light, even though, as you mentioned, it does have extra bracing to account for the targa. The 1995-1997 SI is 2414 lbs and DOHC VTEC is 2522 lbs. That compares pretty well with the 1995 Civic SI Hatch at 2390 lbs or the 1999 Civic SI Coupe at 2612 lbs, all MT of course. It's a fair bit heavier than the 1991 CRX SI at 2174 lbs but that car only had 108 HP pushing in US market trim, so performance was still similar.

Actually, the Sol is still pretty light, even though, as you mentioned, it does have extra bracing to account for the targa. The 1995-1997 SI is 2414 lbs and DOHC VTEC is 2522 lbs. That compares pretty well with the 1995 Civic SI Hatch at 2390 lbs or the 1999 Civic SI Coupe at 2612 lbs, all MT of course. It's a fair bit heavier than the 1991 CRX SI at 2174 lbs but that car only had 108 HP pushing in US market trim, so performance was still similar.

However a stock crx will still rape a VTEC del sol in auto-x...I drive a sol and love it..just saying.

However a stock crx will still rape a VTEC del sol in auto-x...I drive a sol and love it..just saying.

Agreed, all things being equal, the CRX was a better balanced car for sure. I loved my 1988 SI.

So i got my 1994 del sol s auto. I didn't drive it for 2 days and on the nxt when i tried it would start, so i am not a professional and really kinda new with del sols, common sense i thought it was a BAD battery, so i went to auto-zone the guy recharged the battery test it and said it should work 100%. I went home immediately put it in the car and it started up from the first time and i drove it, the next day i drove it again for 10 miles. On next day it wasn't driven and the day after that guess what same thing, car would not start. If anybody any suggestions at all are welcome, but all i know something is eating my electrical power, its not a bad battery, i really don't have any idea so any help at all is welcome. I really want to fix this issue i just can't stand it.

Check the Alt. Its probably no good.

Your car runs off the battery which is charged by the alt. if your alt. goes out then the batterty will die soon after. you said it ran for awhile after charging the battery but then wouldn't start the next day? Try charging the battery then hooking it up and if it starts leave it running for awhile, and turn all your lights on. If your car ends up dying or you notice the lights starting to dim then its more than likely a bad alt. I dont know a whole lot about electrical but i've had the same problem a couple times in other cars i've owned.

Archived