Truck open exhaust/Headers

I have a 1997 Chevy C1500 Silverado V8 305 and i cut the the exhaust and the catalytic converter. I recently saw a picture of a Dragster with Headers and and a Merger Muffler i am guessing. Would it be possible to Put headers on my truck and add the Merger?

Heres a Pic of the dragster with the Merger

http://www.fabshopheaders.com/categories/p...0Header%201.JPG

weird first post for a HONDA forum but w/e. it just looks like a custom header with a baffled collector. just get normal headers for your truck and you can get one of those race mufflers that don't really do anything.

yeah i think that's what he's referring to. its a glass pack built into the collector. OP how loud do you want it? if you are just looking to quiet things down a little but still keep it loud then you can slap a straight through style muffler after the header such as an slp loudmouth or any other universal muffler. maybe you could be more specific on what you are looking for?

The thing is idk what i am looking for. Maybe if i explain the process maybe could get a better understanding. Ok already cut the Cat off so i would remove stock exhaust manifold, put the header then attach a muffler to the header. would that work? Want truck as loud as possible.

It's next to impossible to get a V8 louder with any sort of muffler than no muffler at all. Open header is the way to go..

Now Honda's..another story..

those headers look sketchy to me. the collectors are uneven and they just don't look right.

by log manifold i mean like a stock cast iron one

manifold.jpg

similar to this. if he gets longer headers then he would be safe running open header, but with a shorty style yeah i'd get some extra piping on there

Longtubes actually wield gains in power all across the band, not to mention change up the sound of the the vehicle a little bit.. Definitely wouldn't waste my money on shorties.

Longtubes actually wield gains in power all across the band, not to mention change up the sound of the the vehicle a little bit.. Definitely wouldn't waste my money on shorties.

Longtubes would but not on a 1997 Chevy with a....305 V8? Think somebody needs to take another look to be sure they are seeing what they think they are seeing. 350 maybe. Anyway, just weld up some pipes and run them all the way back without a crossover. Be plenty loud and obnoxious to the point I'm sure a nice cop will be happy to write a few tickets.

Didn't know Chevy actually used a 305 in the late 90's..

I'd be pretty confident, however..in an aftermarket set of long tubesgaining power versus a factory exhaust manifold..

That all depends on the motor and factory exhaust manifold. Seen some not become restrictive until approaching the 600+hp mark. Bolting on a set of $700 longtubes with appropriate mid-pipe and such is really not going to do ANY good on an otherwise stock GM 350 in a truck. In fact it would probably do more harm than good.

Archived