body issue...your opinion valued!

lrh23692

Hey all,

my 99 Honda Civic [sedan] was recently involved in a small collision (will need a new driver's side fender, bumper, and left headlight assembly) ----

The damage is mostly superficial - except - upon closer inspection to the inside, we've noticed that the frame is "pushed over" and rubbing on the power steering pump pulley ! [ Strange sounds when in "Drive" and noticeable smell ] (not currently driving it) So it's more complicated.

We were planning to take it somewhere - but were thinking, since that is all we notice that went wrong -

Would it be plausible to put a long board on the frame, and beat it straight?

thinking of economical but safe solutions, had to post this.

Greatly appreciate any advice you all have.

Thank's so much!

Hey all,

my 99 Honda Civic [sedan] was recently involved in a small collision (will need a new driver's side fender, bumper, and left headlight assembly) ----

The damage is mostly superficial - except - upon closer inspection to the inside, we've noticed that the frame is "pushed over" and rubbing on the power steering pump pulley ! [ Strange sounds when in "Drive" and noticeable smell ] (not currently driving it) So it's more complicated.

We were planning to take it somewhere - but were thinking, since that is all we notice that went wrong -

Would it be plausible to put a long board on the frame, and beat it straight?

thinking of economical but safe solutions, had to post this.

Greatly appreciate any advice you all have.

Thank's so much!

Pics would be most helpful, and can you rent a portapower tool??

Or you could do it the right way! :thumbsup:

Bah!

The area that is bent is part of the 'crumple zone'. as long as there was no structure damage to the area from the strut tower and back you haven't compromised anything. If you want cheap just beat it straight and do what you can to mount the replacement parts so they line up right. Getting the bolt holes for the fender to line up enough to bolt it back together is going to be your hardest part.

thats what to do with my latest car, the crumple zones were so bent in I was tempted to cut and weld new stock in place, but after a couple of hours with a BFH, ballpeen, some body hammers, a slide hammer, and some dollys I got it back to looking damn near oem.

dude why would he go through the headache of removing the PS system and converting to a manual rack, then it will take him 5 minutes to fix the issue? Sometimes I swear you were dropped on your head.. over and over and over again.

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE ADVICE-

means a lot to us over here, trying to get this situation straight sensibly.

will return after work later tonight to discuss.

in the mean time here are some photos: photobucket wasn't working as far as showing the pictures, so they are linked.

Please bear with me...

http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/zz99/lr.../P1080386-1.jpg

http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/zz99/lr...ll/P1080388.jpg

http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/zz99/lr...ll/P1080389.jpg - out of square? What do you all think? advice?

Thanks a million guys.

well first off you need to get it on a flat level surface and measure the bay to see if it is out of square, and if so where the adjustment is. Way to do this is take the diagonal measurement from the shock towers to the hood hinges. Then do diagonals again from hood hinges to outer most edge on the core support (where the fender bolts to it), then repeat from the core support to the shock towers.

Now all of your diagonal measurements (pairs, eg shocktower to hood hinges on both sides, etc) should be within .5cm of eachother. If you are off more than that AFT of the shock towers, or in the whole bay your going to have permanent alignment issues, if the damage is forward of the towers you should be fine. Basicly all you will need to do is pry and beat out the inner fender then reshape it using a set of dollies and pinging hammers.

Thanks, Cmgogo and everyone else for the advice. Checking the square on the diagonals sounds good and we plan to proceed with that.

Also, looking at the car from the front, I see that the metal bumper support (to which the plastic bumper connects, was shoved down. it is no longer level. I guess I will just look at a way of jacking that up.

Archived