engine swap

j_feze

got a motor from a 95 civic (SOHC VTECH) for my 93 del sol si. The salvage told me it would work. Will the exhaust manifold CPU and distributor be able to swich over and will it be a smooth install?

yea both engines are the d16z6 so everything should be an exact match. how many miles does the civic engine have and how much did it cost you? im looking to get another d16

600 bucks + exchange

yea both engines are the d16z6 so everything should be an exact match. how many miles does the civic engine have and how much did it cost you? im looking to get another d16

600 bucks + exchange

i got my zc for 700 shipped with almost no miles on it

I'll gladly sell my D16A once I've got a bike as secondary transportation... I freaking hate it. I get worse mileage than a B16. I did finally manage to hit 34 with ethanol-free fuel... but that's with 90% highway driving.

I'll gladly sell my D16A once I've got a bike as secondary transportation... I freaking hate it. I get worse mileage than a B16. I did finally manage to hit 34 with ethanol-free fuel... but that's with 90% highway driving.

Yeah ZC is highly over rated. If you want a DOHC go B for cheap and easy! :thumbsup:

i got my zc for 700 shipped with almost no miles on it

where did you get it from?

as to getting a b series i cant see spending that much more money for only 20 or so more HP. i dont know though im having some promise with a job prospect right now and if that goes through then maybe a b series will be in my future.

as to getting a b series i cant see spending that much more money for only 20 or so more HP. i dont know though im having some promise with a job prospect right now and if that goes through then maybe a b series will be in my future.

20? try 30-50 depending on which B-engine you go with. And you're talking about spending $700 for maybe 3 more hp. And a lot lower fuel economy. If you went with the B16A2, you'd get 35 more horsepower, and still be able to get 36 mpg. With a ZC, you're looking at very little power gain, and probably about 34 mpg max. Probably closer to 31 during the winter. (I'm working under the assumption that my engine is very similar to a ZC, which based on how Sarah's described it, it seems to be.)

20? try 30-50 depending on which B-engine you go with. And you're talking about spending $700 for maybe 3 more hp. And a lot lower fuel economy. If you went with the B16A2, you'd get 35 more horsepower, and still be able to get 36 mpg. With a ZC, you're looking at very little power gain, and probably about 34 mpg max. Probably closer to 31 during the winter. (I'm working under the assumption that my engine is very similar to a ZC, which based on how Sarah's described it, it seems to be.)

WaT? You have ZC bottom end??

Yeah ZC is highly over rated. If you want a DOHC go B for cheap and easy! :thumbsup:

mine is the SOHC vtec ZC.. they made DOHC and SOHC.. a lot of people never think about the single cam\

japan star motors.. i know one person who had a bad experience from them but mine was pretty good.. and one of my friends got a f20 in really good shape from them

my ZC has like 5 more hp stock but a good bit more torque in my findings.. no idea about the DOHC cam though

and i get like 31-33 city and higher highway.. sometimes better i think.. depends on traffic and all that.. it runs great in the winter (it likes cold better then summer).. i got to school 40 miles away and when i drive mine it takes about 2 gallons a day

has all the same plugs as the Z6 too.. well one less actually.. so i have a random plug hanging out at the back of the motor with no where to plug it to lol the zc manifold has one less emission thing i guess

my ZC has like 5 more hp stock but a good bit more torque in my findings.. no idea about the DOHC cam though

and i get like 31-33 city and higher highway.. sometimes better i think.. depends on traffic and all that.. it runs great in the winter (it likes cold better then summer).. i got to school 40 miles away and when i drive mine it takes about 2 gallons a day

has all the same plugs as the Z6 too.. well one less actually.. so i have a random plug hanging out at the back of the motor with no where to plug it to lol the zc manifold has one less emission thing i guess

I have the same hanging plug, same gas mileage (except when on ethanol free gas, yay 5% increase in mileage w00t ), runs better in the cold... Yeah, I'm betting we have the same engine. And from the research I've done, the ZC/D16A has either the same or slightly more horsepower than the Z6, a few more ft-lbs. of torque, and crappy gas mileage.

Honestly, if you want to go a bit better, but still D-series, grab the Y8 rather than the ZC. 2 more hp, 6 more ft-lbs, and slightly better gas mileage than the Z6. So same deal as ZC, but without the major drawback in fuel economy.

i get 38 on highway with the z6

+1

ZC does make a great boat anchor though! :thumbsup:

nah kills the fish

I have the same hanging plug, same gas mileage (except when on ethanol free gas, yay 5% increase in mileage w00t ), runs better in the cold... Yeah, I'm betting we have the same engine. And from the research I've done, the ZC/D16A has either the same or slightly more horsepower than the Z6, a few more ft-lbs. of torque, and crappy gas mileage.

Honestly, if you want to go a bit better, but still D-series, grab the Y8 rather than the ZC. 2 more hp, 6 more ft-lbs, and slightly better gas mileage than the Z6. So same deal as ZC, but without the major drawback in fuel economy.

d16z6. i outrun y8's all day long stock for stock. plus i has V TAK YO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mine gets about the same gas mileage as the ZC (mine also wasn't completely stock)

almost all d series are ABOUT the same.. the z6 is almost exactly like the SOHC ZC, the 16, etc

i have heard the z6 block is stronger then the y8 and more people like the z6.. but idk for sure

idk how you guys think 30+ is bad gas mileage.. my old firebird got like 17 in the city and MAYBE 20ish on the highway

mine gets about the same gas mileage as the ZC (mine also wasn't completely stock)

almost all d series are ABOUT the same.. the z6 is almost exactly like the SOHC ZC, the 16, etc

i have heard the z6 block is stronger then the y8 and more people like the z6.. but idk for sure

idk how you guys think 30+ is bad gas mileage.. my old firebird got like 17 in the city and MAYBE 20ish on the highway

With the Y8 I was just looking at the specs. And I thought it did have vtec... *shrugs* I dunno. And 30 mpg isn't bad mileage, if you've got a big engine. 30 mpg out of a 1.6 liter engine pushing 130 horsepower on the other hand, that is kinda low. The new 370z has twice the engine, twice the horsepower, weighs 1000 pounds more, and still gets around 26 mpg.

IMO, the Sol should be a fun little car with a good bit of kick out of the engine, but good enough gas mileage that when you complain in the winter about getting relatively low mileage all the folks who drive SUV's and muscle cars glare at you. :happy: (I did that to my sister a lot when she was driving the Pilot)

With the Y8 I was just looking at the specs. And I thought it did have vtec... *shrugs* I dunno. And 30 mpg isn't bad mileage, if you've got a big engine. 30 mpg out of a 1.6 liter engine pushing 130 horsepower on the other hand, that is kinda low. The new 370z has twice the engine, twice the horsepower, weighs 1000 pounds more, and still gets around 26 mpg.

IMO, the Sol should be a fun little car with a good bit of kick out of the engine, but good enough gas mileage that when you complain in the winter about getting relatively low mileage all the folks who drive SUV's and muscle cars glare at you. :happy: (I did that to my sister a lot when she was driving the Pilot)

And look where that got you! :laugh:

Archived