Hello everyone, my del sol

JesseCuster

First off, hello everyone. I was at automotiveforums.com, but wasn't getting any responses from there on the del sol side, so i decided to come here. Recently got my second del sol, 93 s, 1.5, manual, red (unfortunately, the first is no longer with us, due to an untimely car stopped in the middle of the road i was going down) and i just had to get a new one.

Im going to go ahead and put up some pictures of it. Its very ordinary, with a few minor upgrades and such. But im going to be working on it a lot in the coming up months, so i may have a good amount of posts up here.

download-2.jpg

download-3.jpg

download-1.jpg

download-4.jpg

so far, i've obviously replaced the rims, i've also got skunk2 coilovers on it and a new radiator. and thats about it for now.

And just for a heads up, and if anyone can assist me on the issues i have now:

1) i believe my main relay may be going out, fuel pump doesn't always cut on and it has trouble starting sometimes

2) there is a tink tink noise coming from somewhere, not constant (tink tink--tink---tink tink tink---tink) but whne i press the gas in it stops.

3) i want to have a wide body kit put on it, but the ones i found it says i would need to relocate the gas take lid, any ideas on that

and my plans are to obviously have a body kit put on, paint black, turbo kit (only 8psi at first), and obviously lots of other engine work.

Soo, if anyone has any questions, concerns, ideas for me let me know.

And glad to be here.

you can post the pics here by copying the link on photobucket with the tags.

as far as the tinking noise, try to locate where its coming from and we could help you out a little bit better.

and the widebody kit... a lot of people on here will advise against it, but its your car, do what you want to do with it, but it will end up costing you more than youre probably thinking. the gas cap needs to be relocated because that area is widened. usually people just make an extension and have it in the same spot.

Wow, that was fast, thanks a lot.

I'm going to go ahead and see if i can locate that tinking noise and post it up here within a few days.

and as far as the wide body kit, sounds like you may be right, however, it's an idea on the back burner. I really wanna do it but i believe it may be a good bit before I'm able to, so.

Relays, if they go bad, generally don't work at all... I'd think an intermittent fault would be either wiring, or the fuel pump itself.

As for the noise... When you say a tink tink noise, I think exhaust. Can you tell what general direction it's coming from?

And on the widebody kit... I'll see if I can find the link, somebody put together a web page on it. The "official" wide-body kit from Japan will run you around $13,000. Evidently there are different ones available for far less... but they look hideous.

... I need to go wash my eyes out with soap:

-I came to the conclusion on the main relay because i heard of something bout a wet solder, or dry or cold or close to that, that is causing a connection to be not right and making the fuel pump act up.

look into that and let me know what you find, because i was about to go buy a new main relay, wanna make sure thats the right thing.

-the Tinking is seem to be around the firewall area, it sounds like its not in the engine, but not too far back, my first guess was exhaust as well, i just haven't gotten under it yet to find out.

-I don't know if i want my car looking that crazy. Looks like batmobile for robin or something ha.

I can't find it right now, but usually it's on ebay. Its not a whole body kit, but pieces that u bondo to ur car that makes it a wide body, that was selling for around 500. Was considering that with a r32 tailight conversion.

the thought makes me smile...

Oh, and while people are looking at things, take a look at this turbo kit i found

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...RK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

i think it looks beautiful, what do you think

and yes, i know i know, ew to the fact its on ebay.

BUUT, its my first turbo kit, and so far im in love.

can anyone talk me out of that...

okay i know what wide body kit youre talking about and i know that turbo kit youre looking at

DONT GET THEM.

that ebay turbo kit is terrible. they are built with poor craftsmanship and its a waste of your money. if you really want to boost your car, check out the Engine/Tuning/Upgrades/Swaps section of the forum and read through the pinned threads at the top.

As for the wide body kit, there is a lot more to it than just slapping it on like they make it seem in the auction. If you want a legit wide body kit its called the ME Edition which looks..okay and for the price of around 10 grand its not worth it

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/757543

you could also make a custom widebody kit but that will take an extreme amount of skill, so unless you know someone or can do it yourself then its probably not the direction you want to go with for this car.

Custom Widebody

29181060006_large.jpg

29181060017_medium.jpg

Good job, just fell out of love with both of them.

I'm sure i can piece together a pretty good turbo kit

going to just take a look at whats out there

Any suggestions and some good kits or piece i can piece together myself

for pretty reasonable price (reasonable, not cheap. there is a difference)

I know that can be a pretty extensive list, but just some general ideas

And as for the body kit, i guess i can just do without

unless i come into an insane amount of money (doubtful)

And thanks for all the knowledge.

im too lazy to read all of that but your fuel problem sounds like the problem i had.. car doesnt want to start when hot, turns off at random times, car lags and feels like its not getting enough fuel...

i changed my main relay and all of those symptoms went away.. me and alex (alex37211) did it out at his place, its a HUGE pain in the ass to get to and to do but once you get it done youll be one happy mofo, i know i was, lol

id say just go to honda and get a brand new one.. but if youre tight on cash to go your local junkyard and get one off them... you can use the same relay off of a 92-95 civic.. alex gave me his off of one of his many hatches..

hope this helps you a little..

oh and the relay is up behind your fuse panel under your dash, believe me when i say it was its a HUGE pain in the ass.. youll need a 10mm wrench to get the nut off and thats about it

yea and sometimes i try to start it when its hot, and it cranks for like a second and it turns off

it's been one of those things i want to replace, just haven't gotten around to it

and its still going.

but i may do that with the next pay i get.

sounds like it really helps.

did you take the steering column apart, like that plastic pieces off?

and it does help quite a bit thanks.

Oh, and one more thing i got to add

The other day i went under my hood and checked my spark plugs out (couldn't remember if i had changed them, and any ideas for good ones?)

When the plugs came out they were covered in oil.

I'm pretty sure that's bad

I am thinking gasket, but I'm not sure which one?

Its probably obvious, but i want to make sure.

And any walkthroughs of the changing gasket (if that is in fact the issue, and again, just to make sure) would be awesome.

if your spark plug is covered in oil it could be piston rings or cylinder walls that are badly worn. Oil may also be pulled into the chamber because of excessive clearance in the valve stem guides, or badly worn valve stem seals. If the PCV valve is plugged or inoperative, it can cause a buildup of crankcase pressure.

Search search search

theres endless info out there...

then if you REALLLLY cant find it...ask =)

just try to steer clear of questions about basic fixings....

and whoever posted that picture of the red wide body del sol, now i see why custer likes it....i didnt realize it looked that good...lol

yea and sometimes i try to start it when its hot, and it cranks for like a second and it turns off

it's been one of those things i want to replace, just haven't gotten around to it

and its still going.

but i may do that with the next pay i get.

sounds like it really helps.

did you take the steering column apart, like that plastic pieces off?

and it does help quite a bit thanks.

nah you dont need to take the column apart.. just the little panel that unscrews right by your fuse panel, thatll make it a little bit easier! its a VERY frustrating job but well worth it, i was tired of breaking down in the middle of lights and not being able to start after i filled up until 5 minutes later... kind of embarassing

haha sorry

ill try not to be a little stuck up noob who thinks my pos will beat everyone

dont worry

and thanks, glad to be here

lol no, ryan was just messing around..

we've been getting quite a few noobs lately.. most dont stick around, they just come in for a little bit and vanish...

ugh, i hate stalling at stop lights, and having to hit the ol' hazards

either that or after getting gas, and i have to sit there and look dumb,

and actually can't wait now to get a new relay, sounds fun.

yea, automotiveforums was like that too, bunch of noobies just poppin in and either 1) saying how they can beat everyone

or 2) just getting a simple question answered

but like i said, i plan on doing a lot of work to her, so ill be popping up every now and then, keep a look for me ha

and thanks for the info everyone! :)

ugh, i hate stalling at stop lights, and having to hit the ol' hazards

either that or after getting gas, and i have to sit there and look dumb,

and actually can't wait now to get a new relay, sounds fun.

yea, automotiveforums was like that too, bunch of noobies just poppin in and either 1) saying how they can beat everyone

or 2) just getting a simple question answered

but like i said, i plan on doing a lot of work to her, so ill be popping up every now and then, keep a look for me ha

and thanks for the info everyone! :)

oh no i dont stall (except for that one time at the DC meet >_< ), my main relay was soo bad it would just die, then i would have to wait for it to cool down so i could start it back up because i sure as hell wasnt about to push it and jump start it, no sir!! lol

its good that youll be sticking around, and its no problem with the help.. i know its a pain in the ass to get help when you need it the most so i try :thumbsup:

mine is gettin to the point, every now and then at stop lights it will cut off, but not bad

and while we are on the subject, the main relays on ebay, for 30-40, they should be good right, thinking about just getting on there soon

heres a link to one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1993-1997-H...p4506.m20.l1116

havent looked at prices at other places yet, was going to do that in the coming up days.

but any thoughts?

also, i know it was previously said

but that turbo kit on ebay,

would it still be bad if i were to purchase the kit, and then just buy a reputable turbo from somewhere else,

the hoses, intercooler, oil catch, waste, bov, turbo timer, boost controller and all, that would still be ok wouldn't it?

well at least, it sounds good in MY head.

all i needed to hear, thanks

and i look into that majestic honda site

looks pretty complicated, ahha not sure what im doing there

i usually shop at andysautosport

but ill spend a while at majestic see if i can map it out.

Archived