Tein S Techs

can i drop my car using just the s techs? ive heard they are designed to safley drop your car almost two inches on stock shocks and struts...is it true?

also theres a guy selling omni power coilover sleeves and springs for 100 bucks...can i drop the car with that?

what would you go with the omni's or s techs?

Just get coilovers man. It will be a better investment over breaking the stock struts. Tein makes the best suspension in my opinion so any of theirs will be fine.

You can safely do it, but your stock struts will break after a short while.

Not true. Well.....I could say, I strongly disagree.

I ran S-tech's on stock shocks on the del sol for a good 40,000 miles and never blew them. Car had 110k miles when sold and now has 140k and still running the same setup with shocks that arent' blown.

I am running S-tech's on my civic with stock shocks and haven't run into a single problem and haven't the slightest worry that I will. S-tech's are a really soft rate and a mild drop. You'll be fine.

Just get coilovers man. It will be a better investment over breaking the stock struts. Tein makes the best suspension in my opinion so any of theirs will be fine.

Yes, cause we all know Dwayne has *that* kind of money.

Not true. Well.....I could say, I strongly disagree.

I ran S-tech's on stock shocks on the del sol for a good 40,000 miles and never blew them. Car had 110k miles when sold and now has 140k and still running the same setup with shocks that arent' blown.

I am running S-tech's on my civic with stock shocks and haven't run into a single problem and haven't the slightest worry that I will. S-tech's are a really soft rate and a mild drop. You'll be fine.

Your del sol was also a few years newer, has many less miles, most likely was WAY better taken care of and isn't in Ohio. That salt eats everything. Including the shocks. I would bet a dollar that one of his rear shocks is already compromised on stock springs.

Yes, cause we all know Dwayne has *that* kind of money.

i just got insurance money...but i ended up buying koni yellows with tein springs...i can drop it two to 3 inches

Your del sol was also a few years newer, has many less miles, most likely was WAY better taken care of and isn't in Ohio. That salt eats everything. Including the shocks. I would bet a dollar that one of his rear shocks is already compromised on stock springs.

Sorry.....I have family in Ohio and used to live there. Ohio winters aren't much (if any) worse than what we get in Missouri unless you are in the northern part of Ohio. Plus, my Del Sol was a 95 and his is a 92....so 3 years difference. My civic is a 1991 that was never garaged until December with 18 year old shocks and they are still fine with the S-techs. Sure they may not have a ton of miles but they've still had a 2100ish pound car sitting on them for 18 years straight and driven through 18 winters (we have salt on the roads here too in the winter).

Sorry.....I have family in Ohio and used to live there.

I lived in north central. It sucks. My previously rust free civic rusted just sitting in the driveway this last winter. Both the 65k 93 Sol and the 205k 95 Sedan have had at least one blown shock on stock suspension. Did I mention that the roads in Ohio are rather disrepaired? And depending on where you live in MO the weather would be worse in Ohio. Right through the middle of Ohio is on the freeze line. The average daily temp is 36 and the nightly is 25 something or other. Every single day it freezes and thaws and every singe day a new application of salt is put down. It is not as bad in Toledo or Cincinnati as they are both colder and warmer and do not have the daily refreeze and salt.

It doesn't really matter. The bottom line is that a lower spring will tax the shocks a bit more than stock would have. They may blow out prematurely. No way to tell in advance. The warning is out there. Dwayne decided to install a sport shock on it so the discussion is pointless now anyway. The game ends in a tie.

What part of Ohio did you and your family live in and when? Other then the routinely crapty weather it isn't a bad place to call home.

I know where you live Dwayne, you have it listed on your damn avatar.... :rolleyes:

I was asking Nate where him and his family live when they were in Ohio.

I know where you live Dwayne, you have it listed on your damn avatar.... :rolleyes:

I was asking Nate where him and his family live when they were in Ohio.

They live in Chillicothe....south of Columbus. So really, their weather isn't much worse than what we get in St. Louis area. Far northern Ohio would definitely be a different story.

I'm a firm believer that if Tein S-tech's blow your stock shocks, then they were probably pretty close to going anyway and can't necessarily be blamed on the springs (i.e., 200k miles shocks have limited life regardless). If you don't drive like an idiot with them and pretend that you are running Custom Ground Control's with Koni's, then the stock shocks should be fine...

....as you said though...doesn't matter much now.

Edit: And no I didn't extend my top hats with the S-tech's. I only did that with my Illumina/GC setup and only because I was dropped 3-3.5" and would have had zero shock travel if I didn't.

ok well i ended buying koni yellow with tein springs for 240 bucks...they are adjustable, should i ride stiff soft or in between?, i now nothing about suspension so fill me in on things i should know from your personal experiance

im pretty sure i have it completely stiff right now...everything is lowered 2 inches except the DS rear...cause im scared of breaking another bolt lol...i had to buy a new controll arm cause the PS bolt broke...any ideas on how the avoid breaking/or how not to break the bolt?

lots of pb blaster and patients.

would extending my tophats gave me a better ride or any benefit other than possibly extending the life of my shock? My friend is a welder and is willing to to the tophats for me for free or really cheap, so if they help at all i might as well.

the three days my car was on jack stands i was just soaking it with pb almost a full can...ive heard a torch would help, any thing on that?

Yes, heat will oftentimes loosen up stuck bolts.

whats another way?...i know my buddy is buying one for when i get back to finish the other side, but if the torch fails then what?

Honestly the torch will work the best. Heat up the bolt until it gets red and hot and then impact it off. That's how I had to get my cat bolts off...

Yep. That bolt is threaded through a steel casing suspended in rubber in the hole of the control arm.

You will either

A: Finally break the bolt loose

B: Shear the bolt head off

C: Strip the rubber flanges that are embedded in the steel to keep it immobilized.

Most likely it will be C. That rubber is old and is likely the weakest point. Once you heat it the bolt will come loose or, more likely, the rubber will just fail and the whole thing will just rotate in the socket.

Archived