1.5 engine with a 1.6 vtec head?

1994 1.5 liter engine, came with a 1.6 liter vtec head and headers. The guy said it was done to add the vtec option to my engine, but what else do it need?

A new ecu and wiring? can anyone help me get the most out of this setup? thanks, drew

I'm new to honda engines...

I was told this engine i bought was a 1.5 engine with a 1.6 liter head. Has the vtech option as well? i just want the damn thing to run, but am curious why he did this.

I'm new to honda engines...

I was told this engine i bought was a 1.5 engine with a 1.6 liter head. Has the vtech option as well? i just want the damn thing to run, but am curious why he did this.

what does the engine stamp say? post some pics if you can

he did a mini me swap.. search for them and you'll find more info

oh, i wasnt too sure if he had the set up or wanted to do it.

as for getting the most out of it that depends what you have already.

most people who do that swap are on a budget and usually use a p28 ecu. but you can always get a aftermarket cam and all the other valve train stuff and tune on a hondata, neptune, apexi aftermarket ecu.

probably get like 140-150 whp depending on how you tune it.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=7130...mp;id=877060051

new engine came with a different end on the fuel rail. Has a hole near the end of the rail where my fuel line attaches, then a solid nut to secure it.

My original 1.5 liter stock engine had a different setup. Same fuel rail, but the hole is at the end of the tubing, and it had some kind of round regular maybe?

Which is the better option for my 1.5 engine/1.6 head/headers setup?

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=7130...mp;id=877060051

sensor assy. map....swapped throttle bodies to accomidate my sensor...other body only had a vacuum line..

Stock 1.5 engine had the assy. map sensor and the new engine had no hookups for it, just a vacuum feed. Why? Should i not have switched the setup?

what does the engine stamp say? post some pics if you can

I couldn't figure out how to post pictures on here...so i saved them through facebook, commented on them. The links hopefully work!

oh, i wasnt too sure if he had the set up or wanted to do it.

as for getting the most out of it that depends what you have already.

most people who do that swap are on a budget and usually use a p28 ecu. but you can always get a aftermarket cam and all the other valve train stuff and tune on a hondata, neptune, apexi aftermarket ecu.

probably get like 140-150 whp depending on how you tune it.

I might be interested in this if it doesn't cost too much. I just want to be able to drop this engine in my car and have it reliably run for me. I have 2 sensors, one grey and one green...shown in a link above....that i was told need to be wired in for this vtech option to work. True? How can i wire this in?

If i just get the p28 ecu and wire these in, is that the basics? How much more power does this give you with my headers and 1.6 head?

Thanks!!! Drew

he did a mini me swap.. search for them and you'll find more info

I searched mini me, couldn't find much....I also search how to time my engine, no luck....

could you give me assisitance with that? I posted pics...I have the crank lined up and the cam i think, but want to be sure. thanks, drew

yup, since your civic didnt come with vtec originally then you need to wire it.

vtec write up

but didnt you get the car already wired up?

mini me is basically any non vtec d series block with a vtec head.

heres a write up on how to do it. pretty basic if youre good with tools.

mini me

as for the header and exhaust id recommend a pretty good 4-2-1 and decent exhaust set up. for example a dc 4-2-1 header and skunk2 exhaust. should be around 800-1000

i recommend 4-2-1 because itll give you a little more torque and mid-range power.

Very much it sounds like. Great posts nancy. I just skimmed them tonight. Been a long day of working on the car...so i'll read it with a fresh mind tomorrow. Thanks for the information!

Can you give me tips on my timing please? I think i have it timed to stock at the moment...you might want to double check me......but if i set up the vtec option, would i be using stock timing?

Thanks guys, drew

What are the names of my two electrical connectors? The green and grey ones near my head that are for vtec? I'm looking to wire these up and buy a p28 ecu.

Probably keep my stock exhaust with my headers, unless theres a dramatic chance in performance installing less restricted pipes...also what about my fuel rail? which setup is better? No regulator i'm guessing...

thanks again guys, drew

What are the names of my two electrical connectors? The green and grey ones near my head that are for vtec? I'm looking to wire these up and buy a p28 ecu.

Probably keep my stock exhaust with my headers, unless theres a dramatic chance in performance installing less restricted pipes...also what about my fuel rail? which setup is better? No regulator i'm guessing...

thanks again guys, drew

stock timing and fuel rail will be good enough for basic set up. get into all that stuff and youll just be buring a hole in your wallet.

but if i were building a mini me my set up would be-

-jdm d15b block bored to 1.7

-z6 head

-full skunk2 valve trian (cam, springs, retainers)

-skunk2 throttle body

-aem cai

-dc 4-2-1 header

-rs*r ws exhaust

-omni test pipe

-jdm h22a fuel injectors

-crower pistons (10.5.1 comp)

-z6 transmission

-hondata s200

d-series.org has tons of combo's like this that you can look at. you can break 130+ whp with virtually all bits from other honda motors. but your basics are going to be compression, valvetrain, airflow, and trnsmission

Archived