My Turbo Build

ok guys and gals, it has begun. i am going to turbo the d16z6.

heres a base

D16z6-160,000 miles

Si Tranny-160,000 miles

-does not burn oil,does not smoke

GOAL:

~200 WHP(180 would do fine)

going to be a DD so not looking to go all out.

List of parts:

Stage 2 Clutch(should i go stage 3?) http://www.buyimportperformance.com/product_p/8022-2100.htm

-is there any stage 2 clutches that dont require a break in period?

ARP Head Studs

2.5" exhaust--- http://www.buyimportperformance.com/produc...c%20catback.htm

new tires-suggestions?

have not decided on the full kit yet, still looking around for prices.

so far the cheapest ive found is $1895 http://www.buyimportperformance.com/produc...rks-strtkit.htm

Turbo Timer http://www.buyimportperformance.com/product_p/3530003.htm

im going later next week to have a compression test done.

any suggestions or comments are welcome :)

I suggest buying a compression tester. I bought one new for like $12. It was a cheap harbor freight one, but it works.

Also, I don't think you will need the head studs. If you take the studs off, you may need to replace the head gasket. That seems like a lot of unnecessary work. The kit looks good.

I suggest buying a compression tester. I bought one new for like $12. It was a cheap harbor freight one, but it works.

Also, I don't think you will need the head studs. If you take the studs off, you may need to replace the head gasket. That seems like a lot of unnecessary work. The kit looks good.

Headstuds are a good upgrade. You can, in fact, change the headbolts out and install the headstuds without removing the head.

Headstuds are a good upgrade. You can, in fact, change the headbolts out and install the headstuds without removing the head.

yep, but im gonna go ahead and get the apr. the car is almost due for a new gasket anyways.

first thing to come is a new exhaust. does anyone know where i can find one for cheap? probably 2.5". might go with a 3".

Yeah if your looking for cheap find a local shop to fab you up one. On a 'stock' z6 2.5" would be more than enough. Might also wanna try CL for a cheap catback. I've sceen plunty of fair/good shape Greedy catbacks from various cars go for as low as $100.

Yeah if your looking for cheap find a local shop to fab you up one. On a 'stock' z6 2.5" would be more than enough. Might also wanna try CL for a cheap catback. I've sceen plunty of fair/good shape Greedy catbacks from various cars go for as low as $100.

yeah i tried CL but cant seem to find anything. and what i do find is so far away that i would rather just pay the extra for the muffler shop to fab one. ill stop by tomorrow and ask them if i get time. i know the owner personally so maybe ill get a discount :D

update on OP

• 2 weeks later...

all i have to say is 3 inch exaust will be pretty damn big you need back pressure for the turbo to spool. im doing a b18b swap into mine and going turbo i was thinking about a 2 1/4 would be about right with a high flow cat and muffler im sure my opinion probably isnt the best but thats what i was planning if im wrong please correct me so i dont make a mistake thanks

all i have to say is 3 inch exaust will be pretty damn big you need back pressure for the turbo to spool. im doing a b18b swap into mine and going turbo i was thinking about a 2 1/4 would be about right with a high flow cat and muffler im sure my opinion probably isnt the best but thats what i was planning if im wrong please correct me so i dont make a mistake thanks

that's actually ass backwards. you need some backpressure on a naturally aspirated engines to help with exhaust scavenging. turbo engines are the opposite, backpressure prevents the turbo from spooling quickly. the best exhaust for a turbo car(in terms of spool up and power) is no exhaust.

see thats what i used to think that all the back pressure for the motor was contained in the turbo but after i started talking to people that have driven turbos for a long time said you need some back pressure or the turbo to spool im not arguing im just stating what i have been told anyone else have any knowledge for the contrast of information thanks

see thats what i used to think that all the back pressure for the motor was contained in the turbo but after i started talking to people that have driven turbos for a long time said you need some back pressure or the turbo to spool im not arguing im just stating what i have been told anyone else have any knowledge for the contrast of information thanks

Well, everyone else is wrong. Turbos need exhaust gas to flow as freely as possible. More flow = quicker spool = earlier power.

well crap im glad i found this out now because i would have my damn turbo on listening to others with fracking a cat and muffler on it loosing what i really want a quick spool im more of a redlight to redlight guy so that would kill me thanks

oh yeah isnt the compression of the z6 a little high to just straight turbo without low compression pistons thats why i was affraid of turboing mine or did i miss him saying that he was changing the pistons?

well crap im glad i found this out now because i would have my damn turbo on listening to others with fracking a cat and muffler on it loosing what i really want a quick spool im more of a redlight to redlight guy so that would kill me thanks

oh yeah isnt the compression of the z6 a little high to just straight turbo without low compression pistons thats why i was affraid of turboing mine or did i miss him saying that he was changing the pistons?

Street racing is bad...don't do it. If you're running OBD2, or in an emissions state leave your cat on, it's better for the environment.

You can turbo any motor, but the lower the compression the easier it is. DSMs run 8.5:1

Street racing is bad...don't do it. If you're running OBD2, or in an emissions state leave your cat on, it's better for the environment.

You can turbo any motor, but the lower the compression the easier it is. DSMs run 8.5:1

dsm's are amazingly fun to turbo. as soon as my buddy comes to work ill try and get a pic of his gen 2 talon :D 450 AWHP.

yeah i just want the turbo to be a little quicker on the street, not racing wise, just incase a need to put the foot down and dont have enough power. im not replacing the pistons, just stock. only going with 8 psi..only thing im changing is the head studs and exhaust

dsm's are amazingly fun to turbo. as soon as my buddy comes to work ill try and get a pic of his gen 2 talon :D 450 AWHP.

yeah i just want the turbo to be a little quicker on the street, not racing wise, just incase a need to put the foot down and dont have enough power. im not replacing the pistons, just stock. only going with 8 psi..only thing im changing is the head studs and exhaust

8 Lbs damn lol i was going to only run 5 or 6 on my b18b i didnt think it would last long on anything higher than that and its a lower compression than the z6 how much lb boost can a stock b18b handle before it is to much for the roads to handle

8 Lbs damn lol i was going to only run 5 or 6 on my b18b i didnt think it would last long on anything higher than that and its a lower compression than the z6 how much lb boost can a stock b18b handle before it is to much for the roads to handle

Depends on the tune. 8 lbs is a conservative setup, can run 10 with a good tune. HP is a better indicator than boost level. Boost level is really only for estimation purposes. Have a good shop locally that can dyno tune it?

Depends on the tune. 8 lbs is a conservative setup, can run 10 with a good tune. HP is a better indicator than boost level. Boost level is really only for estimation purposes. Have a good shop locally that can dyno tune it?

theres a place or two that tuned my buddys mr2. im only looking at about 180-200 hp max

theres a place or two that tuned my buddys mr2. im only looking at about 180-200 hp max

200 is achievable on the stock components. Just think, get it tuned to 200 and you'll be where a DSM sits stock. :devil:

200 is achievable on the stock components. Just think, get it tuned to 200 and you'll be where a DSM sits stock.:devil:

yep lol thats about what the goal is..thers a couple dsm guys running around chillicothe with super loud exhausts and no turbos that need some lessons :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

200 is achievable on the stock components. Just think, get it tuned to 200 and you'll be where a DSM sits stock.:devil:

At the wheels? Didn't know DSM's came with 200whp stock. Plus, they're kinda heavy compared to a civic aren't they?

i was going to ask the same question about the stock dsm's i thought more like around the 160 range thats just a guess though wouldnt have thought 200 and so you think i could have my b18b set up for 200 hp and it wouldnt risk blowing the motor within a few thousand miles and i dont have anyone close for a dyno tune but i know a guy that does a street tune so that i can at least drive it to get it dyno tuned later on

b18b would be safe and sound at 200whp with stock internals if properly tuned. A good street tuner would be fine for temporary. There's a guy around here who a LOT of ppl use for tuning and they've never seen dyno time, but their stuff has held up well. He's made quite a name for himself.

And yeah, a 2G eclipse gsx is like 210hp at the crank. But awd has a LOT of drivetrain loss. Like 35% or so. That would put that 210 figure at around 136whp. That's less than a GSR.

yeah awsome i have a t3t4 turbo for it i know its big but im planning on doing bigger and better things later on approximately when do you think ill hit full spool with it with a 2.5 inch exaust and a stock b18b tuned for 200hp with a 255 fuel pump and dsm 450's i know its really hard to tell all are diffrent i know but i was just curious to see the responses

At the wheels? Didn't know DSM's came with 200whp stock. Plus, they're kinda heavy compared to a civic aren't they?

He's not saying at the wheels. A 2G DSM turbo has about 210 at the crank, non turbos around 130. They weigh just shy of 2800 pounds.

Archived