Does car need tune after bolt ons?

Clippersfan86

Yeah, we're not talking about subarus where you need a new tune just because you changed the oil.

Yea sorry if it seemed stupid. I know my 00 is lighter but still it's a 4 door NON V-tec.. this engine should be better even with the bolt ons. It's powerband is actually worse. I have to switch into second gear by 20 mph or i redline... also i don't get power till 4.5k rpm. I know Honda's are high revving but my 00 starts picking up decent about 1k rpm's earlier....

The power band gets bent toward higher RPM when you increase airflow (unless you increase the density of the air). In cars with more power, you don't notice the change. In a Honda, there isn't much low end torque to begin with.

It's a Magnaflow.. not sure on the diameter. It came with the car.. but it has I/H/E. I know the intake is a SRI AEM brand.. and the exhaust is a Magnaflow. I know Honda's get their power at higher RPM but.. full bolt on's should give 10-15 HP minimum eh? I would think the acceleration would be better than my stock 4 door 00 LX....

The power band gets bent toward higher RPM when you increase airflow (unless you increase the density of the air). In cars with more power, you don't notice the change. In a Honda, there isn't much low end torque to begin with.

So the only noticeable power gain with bolt ons for a Honda would be high RPM? I guess i assumed it upped torque as well. I just think 10-15 HP would be noticeable.

you make alot closer to 10hp with full bolt ons if your lucky. hell if your really lucky you'll make up what you lost from parasitic drag from the crank to the ground.

you make alot closer to 10hp with full bolt ons if your lucky. hell if your really lucky you'll make up what you lost from parasitic drag from the crank to the ground.

Yea i know lots of HP gains are exaggerated but i thought 10 hp to the wheels seemed possible with I/H/E. Maybe not though..

Yeah, we're not talking about subarus where you need a new tune just because you changed the oil.

O.M.G! aint that the truth! lmao. my car is so temperamental.

i/h/e doesnt really give you much more whp that one would hope.

10 extra hp isnt really something that you would feel. 25+ extra hp is something you would start to notice.

youll get slightly better gas mileage though.:thumbsup:

but really, who would do that?

God i really think the dealership sold me a car an IDIOT modded. You guys mentioned gas mileage.. I'm having to fill this damn tank every 3 days... My 00 civic.. was about once every 10 days! F*** man.... I can't afford any changes.. You guys gotta help me ; x.

how much did you pay for the car? are you making payments?

what kind of lemon laws does your state have?

do a compression test and leak down test.

return the car to stock. take off the mods, then figure out what any problems could be through a process of elimination.

how much did you pay for the car? are you making payments?

what kind of lemon laws does your state have?

do a compression test and leak down test.

return the car to stock. take off the mods, then figure out what any problems could be through a process of elimination.

No Lemon laws exist on a used car. I got it from a dealership for about 10k after all taxes and full warranty...

im pretty sure there are lemon laws on used cars. you should look into that more.

thats the point of a lemon law, to make sure you dont get scammed into buying a piece of crap car.

what are you getting for gas mileage

nancy - we had a guy up here with a 3" header back no cat on a '90 si with completly stock d16.

im pretty sure there are lemon laws on used cars. you should look into that more.

thats the point of a lemon law, to make sure you dont get scammed into buying a piece of crap car.

Dude.. but the car is in incredible shape that's the problem. I doubt i would win that in court with the claims of a poor gas mileage from mods. The car itself is nearly perfect... so I'm not sure i would be able to present enough evidence to return the car. I work in Law enforcement so i know how the courts would look at it. They would ask what's wrong with the car. I tell them it has an exhaust that hurts gas mileage.. they will tell me ok? Shouldn't have signed the papers..Lemon laws parameters have to be related to the car breaking down or being damaged if I'm correct. Btw thanks for advice buddy. I'm passing this car to my girl in 3 months... and getting an s2000 or srt-4. I just don't want her having problems. Also.. because i have no power below 5k rpms... i often drive 4k-6k rpms.. I'm sure that might be contributing to the problem?? still though... 3 days is bad

you can get a decent exhaust done at a shop for under $250.....hopefully i know AK has price hikes out the ass but i can get a catback done on a your car for about $200 using the muffler already there, $250 with a new muffler

you can get a decent exhaust done at a shop for under $250.....hopefully i know AK has price hikes out the ass but i can get a catback done on a your car for about $200 using the muffler already there, $250 with a new muffler

Can you make it sound as good as the Magnaflow haha? I like this deep rumble.. hate the rice tincan on most civics around here. Love the Chappelle show, Fear factor quote btw.

the dealership falsely led you to believe you were buying a vehicle in better mechanical/operating shape than it was in reality.

Since you were not able to test drive the vehicle over a period of days rather than a few minutes, you were unable to conclude that the vehicle was performing below factory ratings possibly due to mechanical defects or certain modifications. Furthermore, dealerships by law are required to perform inspections on vehicles as well as make any repairs to keep them operating under strict standards.

Now that you purchased the car, you were able to notice the problems that it has. That proves negligence on the dealership's part because obviously they didnt do a thorough inspection of the vehicle as required by law before selling said vehicle.

in short, you have a case. either pursue it, or just suck it up and deal with owning a pos car.

Archived