blackberry curve 8900

It comes with hotspot wifi. I don't have the internet option on my plan but for some reason, i can't connect to the house wireless connection. I should be able to connect even though I didn't pay for the internet option on my plan, correct?

If i should be able to connect, what are reasons why I can't connect? I thought I did everything right setting it up on my phone. I did everything i could to try to connect but no dice!

• 1 month later...
It comes with hotspot wifi. I don't have the internet option on my plan but for some reason, i can't connect to the house wireless connection. I should be able to connect even though I didn't pay for the internet option on my plan, correct?
sorry to burst your bubble, but i have the same phone, just a year older hehe. and just because your phone has wifi and your plan dont, dosent mean you can go online because you cant unless you buy the option. i have t-mobile and the data plan is like 20bucks iirc.

sorry to burst your bubble, but i have the same phone, just a year older hehe. and just because your phone has wifi and your plan dont, dosent mean you can go online because you cant unless you buy the option. i have t-mobile and the data plan is like 20bucks iirc.

Wi-fi has absolutely nothing to do with a data plan.

Data Plan - You are downloading information through the network of your cellular company. You are paying because you are using bandwidth on their servers/towers.

Wi-fi - you are connecting to a wireless internet connection and downloading your data to your phone through that connection instead of the cellular company.

You get charged based on data usage through the cellular company. When using wi-fi there is zero data usage on the cellular company so you are not charged....it's absurd to think that you'd be charged for that and if so.....I'd be switching away from T-mobile.

Oh...and the cellular company has no way of monitoring wi-fi usage since it doesn't connect to them for data in any way.....how can they charge you if they don't even know when/if you are using it.

TL- I have no answer for you because I don't have a blackberry. A few people at work do but they all have data plans to get their info so never need the wi-fi portion. What exactly happens when you try to connect? You might try to temporarily disable the security on your router and try to connect....that would let you know if you are having issues with that area. Does it pop back a message that says can't connect? If so, what does the message say?

Your best bet is going to be to find a blackberry forum and join to search and/or ask your question on there..

Who is your provider?

My sister just got that one not that long ago, but Verizon requires you to have a data plan if you have a smartphone with them. I picked the Omnia up a couple of months back and unlimited data is another $30/month.

In order to get on the internet on your phone you need to have a data plan with your provider, the wifi is just the speed in which you can download data faster than a network connection through the cellular carrier.

Sorry TL you gotta buy the data plan for your phone.

Archived