Phone charger plugged in 24/7/365?

no my phone is not charged the entire time the charger is in the wall socket. I take my phone out with me when i leave the house while the charger is still in the wall socket.

Other than using a small amount of electric when not in use, it will suffer no ill effects.

Are there any cons to having the charger plugged in all day everyday? Cons in regarding to ruining your cellular phone.

From what I was told since its a rechargable battery that if your at full charge and keep it on charge it starts to diminish the life of your battery....but i've always left my phone on a full charge when Im at home and when im at work (i'm always in and out of my office, and still havent bought a car charger lol)

I haven't noticed anything with my iphone, but have noticed before my previous updates my battery didnt last for crap, and since the updates its been fine...weird huh

From what I was told since its a rechargable battery that if your at full charge and keep it on charge it starts to diminish the life of your battery....but i've always left my phone on a full charge when Im at home and when im at work (i'm always in and out of my office, and still havent bought a car charger lol)

I haven't noticed anything with my iphone, but have noticed before my previous updates my battery didnt last for crap, and since the updates its been fine...weird huh

It's well known that to get the most life from the battery, you should only charge when it's almost dead. I myself wait until it blinks, unless I'm going to be away from the charger for a while. My friend who works for Verizon knows all about this stuff. Only charge when you need to. Besides, you're just wasting money on the electricity. The charger should be unplugged from the wall too, unless you want to be charged for the power.

It's well known that to get the most life from the battery, you should only charge when it's almost dead. I myself wait until it blinks, unless I'm going to be away from the charger for a while. My friend who works for Verizon knows all about this stuff. Only charge when you need to. Besides, you're just wasting money on the electricity. The charger should be unplugged from the wall too, unless you want to be charged for the power.

False. The most life from the battery is obtained by random charging and discharging, with a complete drain and recharge every so often. Look it up.

False. The most life from the battery is obtained by random charging and discharging, with a complete drain and recharge every so often. Look it up.

Truth. That depends on what phone and battery you have doesnt it. Some newer phones with lithium ion are fine, but other with ni-cd need this treatment. Don't generalize everyone's phone. What I said works for every phone.

Truth. That depends on what phone and battery you have doesnt it. Some newer phones with lithium ion are fine, but other with ni-cd need this treatment. Don't generalize everyone's phone. What I said works for every phone.

I'm not. I'm going by what is actually written in *every* phone manual.

Given link.

http://www.copquest.com/battery_care.htm

Seeing as how some phones still use NiMH, it's a valid practice. Actually, it's a valid practice period.

i have my charger at my work which when i charge my phone it sometimes is almost dead but also when its just like in the middle and ive never had the problem that alot of people have with their batteries goin dead after like a hours.

I'm not. I'm going by what is actually written in *every* phone manual.

Given link.

http://www.copquest.com/battery_care.htm

Seeing as how some phones still use NiMH, it's a valid practice. Actually, it's a valid practice period.

No crap. This link proves my point, thanks.

No crap. This link proves my point, thanks.

No, you said it works for *every* phone, which is false. My old RAZR still had a NiMH battery, and it said to completely discharge and recharge every so often. I did it about every month.

leaving the charger plugged in will not use any considerable amount of money. leaving a plain incandescent 40 watt bulb on for a month strait uses a little over $1 of power, the combination of the little LED light on the charger and the tiny bit used up from the slow static discharge probably wont even add up to a full watt.

No, you said it works for *every* phone, which is false. My old RAZR still had a NiMH battery, and it said to completely discharge and recharge every so often. I did it about every month.
Dude. You're missing the point. Point was that it doesn't NOT work for every phone. You can do that for every phone and it WILL work fine.
leaving the charger plugged in will not use any considerable amount of money. leaving a plain incandescent 40 watt bulb on for a month strait uses a little over $1 of power, the combination of the little LED light on the charger and the tiny bit used up from the slow static discharge probably wont even add up to a full watt.
Try closer to $4 a month buddy. And the LED is not is what's drawing the power. Hell most chargers don't have an LED. What you're paying for is the stand-by power, or vampire energy.

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Dude. You're missing the point. Point was that it doesn't NOT work for every phone. You can do that for every phone and it WILL work fine.

Try closer to $4 a month buddy. And the LED is not is what's drawing the power. Hell most chargers don't have an LED. What you're paying for is the stand-by power, or vampire energy.

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

$3.50 for a 40 watt in Ca :p

I looked online and Ca has a $.012 per killowatt hour average (they change the price depending on the time of the year). The figure i posted before was what we figured from our physics textbook ($0.05 per kWh so $1.462 was the the exact number we got).

found something on the googles...

Kyocera wall-wart cell phone charger, 5.2VDC, 400mA: 1.4 watts while not charging, 5.8 watts while charging.

Sony power brick AC-L15A charger for my camera: no measurable draw when disconnected from camera, around 8 watts while charging.

Linksys wall wart for a WRT54G, 12VDC, 1000mA: 2.4 watts alone, around 6 watts during operation.

Titanium Powerbook power brick: no measurable draw while disconnected from laptop, around 20 watts just now (but battery is fully charged, so it's just the operational draw).

Recoton multi-voltage wall-wart power adapter: between 0.8 and 1.1 watts under no load.

Nikon camera battery charger: 0.8 watts when the wall wart is plugged into the charging base but no battery is inserted. No measurable load when disconnected from the charging base (which has an LED on it)

Sony wall wart for a minidisc recorder, 6VDC, 800mA: 1.8 watts alone, 6.3 watts while charging MD's battery.

So if I left the minidisc charger plugged in and forgot about it for a year, 1.8 watts times 8760 hours in a year is about 16 kilowatt-hours (or 56,764,800 joules). At my current electricity rate, that's around $1.25 for the whole year (assuming that the power brick doesn't draw more as it heats up, which it very well might). Now consider that I probably have 20 wall warts like that, and there are umpteen million of me in the US alone.

so assuming you have the same charger as this guy is using its about $1.23 per month

one of you EE need to check my math

($0.12 per kWh, 731 hrs per month, so (watts X 731hrs X $0.12)/1000

Archived