Del Sol Towing Capacity?

Garret H

Oops -- I tried that but it didn't work -- I guess I didn't do it right!

Correct me if I am wrong, but the added weight is going to produce the same amount of inertia acting upon the car whether the weight is in the back (trailer) or the inside (extra passenger weight).

Garret

yes but the the seat and everything is made to take it, the mounting point on the seat are thicker and the weight is spread in a calculated way. when its on the trailer hitch the weight is distributed to areas that aren't meant for it.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, today I called my friend at the Honda recycling/parts/repair place here in town. This guy knows anything and everything about any and every Honda! He says that there is absolutely no problem with towing a small trailer behind a Del Sol -- he say he woudn't recommend going over 500lbs for the trailer weight, but he said a 200lb trailer would be just fine and would not strain the frame any. He said that where the hitch mounts is plenty strong for the pull...

Garret

yes but the the seat and everything is made to take it, the mounting point on the seat are thicker and the weight is spread in a calculated way. when its on the trailer hitch the weight is distributed to areas that aren't meant for it.

Yes, but I am not referring to the frame right now -- I am talking about the added weight to the car in regards to acceleration and braking -- having a 200lb trailer behind the car would be pushing just as hard as having a 200lb passenger inside, correct? The same amount of force is required to get the car moving and to stop the car...

Thanks,

Garret

Yes. Tis the same point I made earlier. The drive train, suspension and brakes will all behave in a similar manner as if you had just thrown that much weight in the trunk or the passenger seat.

I really don't think 200-300 lbs is gonna hurt your car to pull. Especially if it's just across town. That's like a fat dude on roller skates holding on to the back of your car by a trailer hitch. But if you have an automatic, take it out of overdrive. If you have a 5-speed, it's said that you shouldn't use the 5th gear whilst towing. Also, be mindful of your speed and allow adequate braking distance.

And as far as a difference between a trailer and in-car weight, wind resistance. You ever driven with a mattress strapped to the top of a car? The mattress may only weigh 25 lbs, but if the wind catches up under it, it'll feel like you let out a parachute. lol

Sorry they're kinda small. Could only find the thumbnails of SolTrailer's Sol on SS. Towing with a Sol can be done as was stated as long as you don't exceed it's GVW... and assuming the hitch is fabbed in a logical way.

sol_trailer1_001.thumb.jpg

sol_trailer2.thumb.jpg

I really don't think 200-300 lbs is gonna hurt your car to pull. Especially if it's just across town. That's like a fat dude on roller skates holding on to the back of your car by a trailer hitch. But if you have an automatic, take it out of overdrive. If you have a 5-speed, it's said that you shouldn't use the 5th gear whilst towing. Also, be mindful of your speed and allow adequate braking distance.

And as far as a difference between a trailer and in-car weight, wind resistance. You ever driven with a mattress strapped to the top of a car? The mattress may only weigh 25 lbs, but if the wind catches up under it, it'll feel like you let out a parachute. lol

Thanks for the info -- as far as "overdrive" you mean keep it out of "D4"? (I have an auto) -- because I will be towing this down the highway, I will have to have it in the highest gear (D4).

Garret

200 pounds is much?

i meant if he's towing something like every weekend why not just invest in a small truck or somethin

its not the 200 lbs that's going to hurt anything, its the inertia from stopping and starting.

to me the weight being behind is going to make more of an issue then having passenger.. the passenger in it the center of the car with the weight distributed while the trailor is stopped initially and has to be pulled.. and then when stopping the trailor is still going to be pushing againest the car because it was already moving while the 200 lb passenger is still evenly distributed..

but go ahead and tow it.. theres a v6 mustang around here that pulls a trailor and a lawn mower all the time and i guess it hasnt messed them up but i wouldnt try going the speed limit on the highway.. stick to a lower gear and SLOWER.. aka get in the right lane and let people pass you if they must

Because there is no play in a properly set up trailer hitch and ball there should be no sudden application of force exerted against the frame. The trailer should move with the towing vehicle as one unit.

i belive you.. because i wouldnt really know much about it..

because if i want to tow something i use a truck and not a car that was made for daily drive around fun where it says in the manual 'do not tow anything'

:laugh: jk

i still wouldnt try going 70 mph on the highway while pulling anything though

i think i didn't communicate what i was saying properly. i mean the points where the trailer hitch will be welded is going to have more strain because of the inertia of the trailer. the reason i say so is from an experience my dad had. he was pulling a little boat on a trailer in his truck that only weighed a couple hundred pounds, and the max towing weight was 500lb, but when he stepped on the breaks or accelerator, there was much more than 500lbs of force jerking on that hitch, and it tweaked his frame.

Then he had his hitch installed wrong or had the receiver assembly installed wrong

Trucks of any size are intended to tow, sometimes multiple times their own weight. If the frame damaged from 500 pounds something was wrong.

My 95 Ram. Yes it is a large truck. It has an in-bed capacity of 1800 pounds and a towing capacity of around 9500. The vehicle only weighs 4300 with me in it. This vehicle has been hauling farm equip and gear for 15 years that was well over this rated capacity and it has been fine. I put 2500 pounds of computers in the bed and it didn't even flinch.

My point with all of this: Cars and Trucks are designed to handle an amazing variety of situations. The vehicles capabilities, of even something as small as a Del Sol, would not be exceeded by a 200 pound trailer.

Then he had his hitch installed wrong or had the receiver assembly installed wrong

Trucks of any size are intended to tow, sometimes multiple times their own weight. If the frame damaged from 500 pounds something was wrong.

My 95 Ram. Yes it is a large truck. It has an in-bed capacity of 1800 pounds and a towing capacity of around 9500. The vehicle only weighs 4300 with me in it. This vehicle has been hauling farm equip and gear for 15 years that was well over this rated capacity and it has been fine. I put 2500 pounds of computers in the bed and it didn't even flinch.

My point with all of this: Cars and Trucks are designed to handle an amazing variety of situations. The vehicles capabilities, of even something as small as a Del Sol, would not be exceeded by a 200 pound trailer.

factory hitch, although it was 80's chevy love and it wasn't exactly the best built truck he had owned

lol thanx, he said from pulling that boat and trying to launch it into the local lake tweaked the frame and the receiver was fubar, and toasted the clutch trying to pull up the launch ramp with the boat

That is depressing.

I will admit, I nearly got the ram stuck in the lake last summer trying to pull out my little sailboat. The ramp is only medium gravel and so low of an angle I have to back all the way into the lake. My front tires were a couple feet into the water and the water was only up to the hubs in the rear. I gave it a hair too much throttle and spun it and immediately sunk 6 inches. This year I bought a 4x4 G.Cherokee. No more stucky.

That is depressing.

I will admit, I nearly got the ram stuck in the lake last summer trying to pull out my little sailboat. The ramp is only medium gravel and so low of an angle I have to back all the way into the lake. My front tires were a couple feet into the water and the water was only up to the hubs in the rear. I gave it a hair too much throttle and spun it and immediately sunk 6 inches. This year I bought a 4x4 G.Cherokee. No more stucky.

good plan...

Didn't know they even made 4x2 trucks. And why would anyone buy one anyway? :p :p :p

ok ok i used to haul a Honda 250r dirtbike on a trailer i made for my del sol. I have had no problems with it at all except you have to remember that you cant stop on the spot you have to slow down gradually like in a truck...please show me a truck that gets over 30mpg like i still do towing 350 poundish behind me?

ok ok i used to haul a Honda 250r dirtbike on a trailer i made for my del sol. I have had no problems with it at all except you have to remember that you cant stop on the spot you have to slow down gradually like in a truck...please show me a truck that gets over 30mpg like i still do towing 350 poundish behind me?

good luck unless you can find an older diesel compact pickup

That is good to know! Thanks...

I'm just building my trailer now!

Garret

You aren't getting 30 MPG while towing.

Archived