WTB: Nikon D40 or D40X Cheap!

Munky_JDM

I Want a "Starter DSLR" i Want a nikon D40 or D40X i dont mean to be a Low Baller I was offered a Nikon D40x With Memory card case and 18-55mm Lens for $350 Shipped to PR!

I Want to see if i can find something lower...i know i'm poushing but in still in college but want to start a business and i need this Camera; so if anyone can help please do!

I'll be selling my D70s in about a month....body only and I plan to ask $320 shipped and paypalled (although shipping to you might be another 20 bucks or so. You can pick up an 18-55 for about $60 (I just sold one for that actually) or get a used 50mm f1.8 for around $80 so you'd still be around 400 or under.

If you wonder about the quality of the camera you can view my site

www.sidersphoto.com

Probably 99% of those (or more) are with my D70s and all of the family pictures and the "Lillian Snelson" photoshoot are with the 50mm f1.8.

If you can't wait a month or aren't interested, I understand but I thought I'd throw it out there just in case.

I'll be selling my D70s in about a month....body only and I plan to ask $320 shipped and paypalled (although shipping to you might be another 20 bucks or so. You can pick up an 18-55 for about $60 (I just sold one for that actually) or get a used 50mm f1.8 for around $80 so you'd still be around 400 or under.

If you wonder about the quality of the camera you can view my site

www.sidersphoto.com

Probably 99% of those (or more) are with my D70s and all of the family pictures and the "Lillian Snelson" photoshoot are with the 50mm f1.8.

If you can't wait a month or aren't interested, I understand but I thought I'd throw it out there just in case.

Not Bad....but i mostly use the cam for low light Photography I've heard D40 is better 2 that...i'm not an expert on Nikon..so dont flame me if this is untrue....

Not Bad....but i mostly use the cam for low light Photography I've heard D40 is better 2 that...i'm not an expert on Nikon..so dont flame me if this is untrue....

Depends on what you mean by low light. D40 has better high iso but not "great" by any stretch. Problem is that the 50mm f1.8 or 50mm f1.4 is going to be much better for low light (larger aperture/lower number means faster shutter speed). Neither 50mm will autofocus on the D40 or D40x, but they will on the D70s. Oh and the D70s has about the same Iso performance of the D40x if not better.

D70s + 50mm f1.8 at ISO200 will have better low light performance (faster shutter speed) and much better quality than a D40 + 18-55 f3.5-5.6.

So, in actual use, the D70s would be a more practical low light camera and I'm sure Kegger and Nancy would both back up the above statements.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I1ZWRC

:thumbsup:

Better AF (9 point vs 3 point)

Better sensor (CMOS vs CCD)

Will AF with all lenses

Sorry, but all CMOS sensor's are not automatically better than all CCD. XTI has worse high ISO performance than the regular D40. Plus the D70s has a nice sensor as well (probably close to the XTI on ISO) and is much easier to use. D70s has the benefit of changing settings on the fly with dedicated buttons versus going into the menu like the XTI, D40(x), etc... OH yeah, and at a lot less cost. That's not even mentioning that the Nikon 18-55 kit lens is much better/sharper than the Canon one.

Oh, and don't get me wrong, Canon makes good stuff, but the XTI has never had any better high ISO than the D40 or D40x and with a CMOS sensor it should. So the fact that it doesn't is kind of a slam for Canon in my opinion. Then again, I would never own the entry level of either for many reasons (D40/x, D60, XT/XTI, or XS/XSI). I wouldn't get less than a D70s/D80/D90 or a 30d/40d/50d.

Guys Don''t Argue So Much And get me OFFERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lolz!

Not really arguing (or didn't mean too). You just need to know as much about every camera as possible. Honestly the dedicated buttons for changing ISO, Focus Mode, WB, etc..... is one of the main reasons to consider a D70s/D80/D90. Rebel XT/XTI are good cameras too, I was just never a fan of their menu setup/layout. The 9 point AF system is nice though, and CMOS sensor is nice, but not particularly better until you get into some of the higher end stuff like the 40d in my opinion.

Anyway, in all honesty if it came down to either the D40/D40x or the XT/XTI, I'd go with the Canon XT/XTI hands down. Also (to be completely honest), I've considered switching systems to the Canon 40d/50d instead of the D90, but the main thing is the D90 has a better layout (again...my opinion) and better high iso than both at the same price as the 40d and much less than the 50d.

I Appreciate All Insights But Think I May Get The D40X with 18-55mm comes with SD card Tarmac Bag and All original package

I don't think I'll get a Better Offer for $350(Shipped)...

Probably not a better offer, but could definitely get a better setup for that price (be it canon or NIkon). Your decision though....I personally hated the D40 and kit lens and would about rather use my wife's Canon A620. But, a lot of people seem to like the way under featured camera and if all you want is a fancy point and shoot then it probably is right for you. Oh.....D40 is MUCH better than D40x though in regards to high ISO/low light performance. In all seriousness I think the D40 is a much better camera than the D40x and most on the photography forums agree so I'd suggest the D40 instead of D40x.

Megapixel doesn't mean crap. I can print 20x30 with my 6 megapixels without a pixel in sight...looks as good as an 8x10.

I Understand but all i want is a decent camera for low light night shots and decent day shots...starter DSLR...not a big gun like you all have...i wish i could aspire more but @ the time money is tight :(

I Understand but all i want is a decent camera for low light night shots and decent day shots...starter DSLR...not a big gun like you all have...i wish i could aspire more but @ the time money is tight :(

You seriously aren't hearing me. D40 is a better camera for low light night shots and decent day shots than the D40x. A used D50/D70 with 50mm f1.8 would be better yet for the same price but for some reason you don't want to consider those. In any case, the D40x would be at the very bottom of my list for your requirements.

And I'm honestly not trying to just promote mine for a sale.....I've already got 2 people who are wanting to buy mine when it goes up for sale assuming the timing is right for them.

Yours is Great too i know and undestrand you but for example....$340 Body alone (even thought is a Great Price) i cant Afford...cuz you know how this goes..one lens....then another....and accesories....filters....adapters...hoods...i'll be spending too much IF i ever have that money....if not all i'll be is a Dude with a D70 Body....and Broke lol!

Yours is Great too i know and undestrand you but for example....$340 Body alone (even thought is a Great Price) i cant Afford...cuz you know how this goes..one lens....then another....and accesories....filters....adapters...hoods...i'll be spending too much IF i ever have that money....if not all i'll be is a Dude with a D70 Body....and Broke lol!

You can get a used D50 for closer to 250-275 and it will focus all the same lenses as a D70s. 250 for a D50 body (D50 has amazing high iso by the way....probably better even than a D40) and the 50mm f1.8 (80 bucks) and your in for $330. But if you want a D40, then go for it, but you'll most likely be far from happy with it's low light night time performance with that 18-55 kit lens.

Examples of what I've done with my Canon XTi (entry level):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/garyhebding/

http://www.alamy.com/stock-photography/FEB...ding%20Jr..html

Here's how the D40x fares against the XTi and Olympus E-410 in noise performance.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond40x/page17.asp

Also for low-light night photography you'll more than likely need a good steady tripod, so don't forget to factor that cost in.

Here's a used XTi for sale that includes the 18-55 kit lens, battery grip, and a wired shutter release for $400

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showth...light=Canon+XTi

nate - when you end up selling the d70, shoot me a pm. im broke as a joke right now, but i have been dying to pick up a good camera. ill probably still be broke when your selling it, but ill try to sell my liver or kill someone and steal their wallet and pick it up from you.

not to thread jack, or anything. lol.

Joe, I'll definitely PM you whenever I get ready to sell. Just waiting on my 1098-T from the university so we can file our taxes and then I'll be ordering it soon. Probably in the next month or two.

Munyky - when you said low light shooting, I thought you meant high ISO....as in low light, handheld, around town shots. For your needs, a D40 and kit lens will be fine. It doesn't take an incredible camera to shoot night time shots on a tripod....Here's two from back when I shot the Canon A620 Point and Shoot

IMG_0354croppedsmall.jpg

IMG_0317_small.jpg

IMG_0322_small.jpg

So.....the D40 will suit fine for that....really any DSLR will so go for it....that sounds like a good price for that kit anyway.

Archived