integra gsr gas!!

jkm345

i was just wondering if any possibilities as to why my car is eating soo much gas!!!!i have a integra gsr 94 with around 180,000 miles and just recently replace the spark plugs. The car also recently starting idling from 900 rpm to 1200 rpm. Im a lil worry on that, but i been driving to skool which is 3 miles there and 3 miles back which is a total of at least 6 miles, and every time i drive it, it keeps dropping and dropping, (i also pump 89 octane), the fuel consumption is CRAZY!!this is eating way more gas then my mom's v8 truck and its a 4 cylinder!!!!i was thinking that maybe if i clean my injectors, it would help. any other suggestions??????

~also, can a bad exhaust manifold cause idling???i think i have a defective exhaust manifold gasket even though i replace it brand new like a month ago!!

I disagree with you Rick. Idle problem is probably due to the IACV (Idle Air Control Valve). You can clean it and don't need to buy a new one. Just do some google searches for it and you'll find some how-to's....it's pretty easy.

Also, run some fuel injector cleaner through it and if I'm reading right, you're using 89 octane? You need to be running the 91 minimum that the engine requires.

I disagree with you Rick. Idle problem is probably due to the IACV (Idle Air Control Valve). You can clean it and don't need to buy a new one. Just do some google searches for it and you'll find some how-to's....it's pretty easy.

Also, run some fuel injector cleaner through it and if I'm reading right, you're using 89 octane? You need to be running the 91 minimum that the engine requires.

touche, i completely forgot about the IACV.

good save nate.:thumbsup:

yeahs i was thinking of the lucas too!!!i also check out my tps and iacv, they were fine..my timing just came off!!im guessing something came loose, but its fine nows!!also, anyone noe about why my MAP sensor would just come on..i was driving the car and out of nowhere the check engine light came on, it said the problem was my MAP sensor..should i replace the map sensor of is there any other defaults to it??

I find it EXTREMELY hard to believe that your IACV would be "fine" The IACV on any used car is going to be somewhat dirty and need some cleaning. For you to say it's "fine" and that you didn't clean it then I'd say you need to go back.

Wouldn't the IACV being dirty make the idle fluctuate? That's what it did to mine.

Yes....that was his original problem (or one of them). For him to say it is "fine" says alot. Even a car that idles fine probably has an IACV that's fairly dirty. Mine idles fine and I'd still bet the IACV could use a good cleaning.

wells, im might look into the iacv cleaning method since it looks to be a major issue. BUt no one is still answering my question on the map sensor???my timing just came off, i check the timing and it came off big time!!dunt noe hows, butta yeahs.........................map sensor!!???anyone???is there also a way to clear it or reset the ecu??

wells, im might look into the iacv cleaning method since it looks to be a major issue. BUt no one is still answering my question on the map sensor???my timing just came off, i check the timing and it came off big time!!dunt noe hows, butta yeahs.........................map sensor!!???anyone???is there also a way to clear it or reset the ecu??

Remove ECU fuse wait 10sec, put fuse back in! :thumbsup:

I'm assuming that you know your timing is off based on a timing light which means you're referring to ignition timing. If so, have you touched the distributor area at all to check things. Like, with all of these problems and you checking things out, did you ever pull the distributor/cap, etc... to check things? If so, then that's probably how your timing got off. It takes about 2 minutes to check and adjust your ignition timing so just fix it and recheck it to make sure it stays. Check the bolts around the distributor and make sure they are tight...if they aren't then that could be the reason for the timing being off.

If you are referring to the cam timing being off, then please explain how you know this or what makes you think this.

Archived