94 integra gsr

pdx94gsr

Hello,

I just picked up a 94 gsr and I am a complete newb when it comes to automobiles. I would really appreciate any advice from those knowledgeable in this aspect. I'm really curios in what order I should go for when it comes to adding aftermarket parts for engine tuning. I am 100% completely ignorant when it comes to type of engines, b18's, b20's ect...ect... I know it's a DOHC VTEC, and I understand what that is. So if you guys are bored and feel like educating me, I sure would appreciate it.

I would like to know what mods are worth putting on, ecu, intake, turbo, headers, bodykits (jdm type-r stuff like that), suspension and most importantly what companys make the best products that are worth investing into.

I'm also trying to do my share research on this, but it becomes very overwhelming with all of the engine types and other stuff I can do to this vehicle. If you guys could also maybe show me links of pictures for body kits that would be so appreciative. And if anyone is in the Portland, Oregon area, I'll buy the beers for the knowledge.

Thanks in advance. Would appreciate no flamming if possible, but I understand it is destined to happen. Thanks again

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's what I've been getting. Is there any specific brands I should look into? Is that motor pretty good? Or should I start looking into other motors. It has 166k miles on it, but there doesn't seem to any problems with it. How much horsepower would these mods add?

That's what I've been getting. Is there any specific brands I should look into? Is that motor pretty good? Or should I start looking into other motors. It has 166k miles on it, but there doesn't seem to any problems with it. How much horsepower would these mods add?

Depends on what you want to pay. The motor is a good one, and should last you a while longer. I/H/E would probably add about 15 or so HP.

Cool that's really good to know. I'm not sure on price, I think I can afford to spend normal pricing right now, whatever "normal" is. I will soon find out. I really, really like the type-r integras. ONe i saw earlier today hauled ass. What motor do those have in it? IS there any way to "bore" the cylinders to create more pressure for power? I feel like such an idiot for even attempting the terminology and methods of increasing horsepower techniques.

So after the intake and headers what's the more advanced stuff? This way I can start budgeting and looking for the parts for the best prices in advance.

Thanks again for the help.

Cool that's really good to know. I'm not sure on price, I think I can afford to spend normal pricing right now, whatever "normal" is. I will soon find out. I really, really like the type-r integras. ONe i saw earlier today hauled ass. What motor do those have in it? IS there any way to "bore" the cylinders to create more pressure for power? I feel like such an idiot for even attempting the terminology and methods of increasing horsepower techniques.

So after the intake and headers what's the more advanced stuff? This way I can start budgeting and looking for the parts for the best prices in advance.

Thanks again for the help.

Type-R should have a B18C5. You can bore the motor, stroke the motor, maybe increase compression to go N/A. Could probably upgrade cams to squeeze out a little more power. More advanced things would be turbocharging or an engine swap for more power. It can get really involved.

Type-R should have a B18C5. You can bore the motor, stroke the motor, maybe increase compression to go N/A. Could probably upgrade cams to squeeze out a little more power. More advanced things would be turbocharging or an engine swap for more power. It can get really involved.

there really wouldnt be a reason to swap out that motor unless going K and it falls in your lap. but there are numerous ways to go about doing it.

as far as exhaust goes. find a shop that does custom mandrel bend exhaust. purchase a quality muffler and go from there..2.5" Id would be a good exhaust.

there really wouldnt be a reason to swap out that motor unless going K and it falls in your lap. but there are numerous ways to go about doing it.

as far as exhaust goes. find a shop that does custom mandrel bend exhaust. purchase a quality muffler and go from there..2.5" Id would be a good exhaust.

Not entirely true. The B18C1 is not the most powerful motor Honda has..

Thanks for the exhaust tip. I'll start looking around. This car 100% stock since 94, even the stereo. It's in great shape and has only had 2 owners. The interior is flawless. The exterior needs a paint job, but there is no dents what-so-ever. I'm really excited to start customizing the outside to give it my own flavor.

Is there any really good websites for ordering parts? Does ebay have quality goods? Would you recommend an AEM cold air intake used? I just have numerous questions like this, but don't want to ask too many at once. =)

Thanks. Still looking around. I really like the front itr jdm conversion kit, but was wonder if there was any body kits that were made to look like that kit, without actually being JDM?

like stated above jus go with ebay intake pipe and a k&n filter :thumbsup: ...for exhaust you can go the costume route or get a real catback which will run anywhere from 400-600 for an average exhaust...for header if your looking for "normal" i would say go with a DC header not to expensive but not cheap i had one on my 91 teg and loved it...as for the type r fromnt end screw a body kit if your gona do it do it right just save up and get the real thing...otherwise you could look into getting the 98-01 bumpers throw a type r lip on it and a type r wing that would looks super clean :drool:

Some websites to check out

Passwordjdm.com

Ebay

Craigslist

Jazzproparts.com

Weaksauceparts.com

Adn of course google :thumbsup:

Good companys to look for

Tein "suspension"

Eibach "suspension"

Tokico "suspension"

PIC "suspension

Skunk2 "everything"

Blox "everything"

HKS "everything"

Mugen "everything"

spoon "everything"

DC "exhaust components"

AEM "everything"

those are just of the top of my head im sure ppl can name more sites and namebrands to look into :thumbsup: ...well hope i some what helped lol

Thanks a ton! I really, genuinely appreciate it. Is the lip the part that shapes the headlights?Because it's the headlights i'm wanting to change. From the research i've done that's the look that i'll be after. However, untill i actually purchase the parts and place them on the stead, nothing is determined. So I might change my mind on looks.

no the lip has nothing to do with headlights it goes with the bumper...just google type r lip...i mean the type r front end will look the best of course..but 98-01 front and rear bumper with type r or mugen style wing and either type r or mugen style front lip would look badass :thumbsup: just check out both styles if i can find pics of both ill post them

Will do! Thanks a lot. Yeah, after I posted that ignorant question about the lip, my google search engine toolbar slapped me in the face and woke me up. In which turn lead me to images.google.com and answered my silly riddle. Going to check on the mugen style.

~ I've been thinking today I want a really laid back style...something that isn't too....ah..."HEY LOOK AT ME!!!", if you know what I mean. I would like some nice rims, lowered a bit for suspension (if it helps the handling performance. Still an ignorant noob), a black tint and just a clean, casual body kit. Something basic and smooth. I'm not sure if i have the vocabulary to describe what i picture in my head, but maybe I can find some pictures of what i mean. I want people to under estimate me at stoplights then when they see green light, they then see my red tail lights, telling them to stop trying. Kinda dorky, but fun for me.

Will do! Thanks a lot. Yeah, after I posted that ignorant question about the lip, my google search engine toolbar slapped me in the face and woke me up. In which turn lead me to images.google.com and answered my silly riddle. Going to check on the mugen style.

~ I've been thinking today I want a really laid back style...something that isn't too....ah..."HEY LOOK AT ME!!!", if you know what I mean. I would like some nice rims, lowered a bit for suspension (if it helps the handling performance. Still an ignorant noob), a black tint and just a clean, casual body kit. Something basic and smooth. I'm not sure if i have the vocabulary to describe what i picture in my head, but maybe I can find some pictures of what i mean. I want people to under estimate me at stoplights then when they see green light, they then see my red tail lights, telling them to stop trying. Kinda dorky, but fun for me.

you want a clean sleeper with a few nice body mods :thumbsup:

i think it'll look great when you get done :drool:

Not entirely true. The B18C1 is not the most powerful motor Honda has..

well thats an obvious one, but its a great start and why go itr when he's already got a decent foundation to start from.

well thats an obvious one, but its a great start and why go itr when he's already got a decent foundation to start from.

Not saying he doesn't, but to say it's pointless to swap when there are more powerful motors available, is blatantly false.

I liked the headlights...and I saw an itr the other night and mentioned how fast it was. It impressed me, and me being to new the tuning scene, I got tunnel vision on the itr. I've always liked acura, but before a week ago when I just recently bought the gsr, I never realized how much these can be modified.

Besides that, I have a question regarding the cold air intakes I have been seeing on ebay. They have a lot of different ones, but my question is this; Isn't it better to fork over the money for a better cold air intake that is measured to put the filter in the coolest spot in the engine compartment rather then one that just acts as an aluminum tube?

What about ECU's? How effective can an ECU be? Isn't there a computer program you can order specific for certain vehicles that reprogram the computer to allow more fuel to enter the engine to increase the compression or however it works? I'm not sure if that's how it works, I'm just trying to guess what a possible reaction would be. I have no idea if that's what happens.

I liked the headlights...and I saw an itr the other night and mentioned how fast it was. It impressed me, and me being to new the tuning scene, I got tunnel vision on the itr. I've always liked acura, but before a week ago when I just recently bought the gsr, I never realized how much these can be modified.

Besides that, I have a question regarding the cold air intakes I have been seeing on ebay. They have a lot of different ones, but my question is this; Isn't it better to fork over the money for a better cold air intake that is measured to put the filter in the coolest spot in the engine compartment rather then one that just acts as an aluminum tube?

What about ECU's? How effective can an ECU be? Isn't there a computer program you can order specific for certain vehicles that reprogram the computer to allow more fuel to enter the engine to increase the compression or however it works? I'm not sure if that's how it works, I'm just trying to guess what a possible reaction would be. I have no idea if that's what happens.

you are learning my friend :thumbsup: if you want cool air and the most power (a few more horses), get a COLD AIR INTAKE. a short ram intake has the filter close to the engine, while a cold air intake has the filter down by the bumper, which will allow for the coolest air :thumbsup:

i like the short ram myself, i suffer probably 1-2 horsepower from what the Cold Air Intake creates, but bringing in warm air improves gas mileage.

So, to gain the most power, get a Cold Air Intake, not a short ram. It will have two pipes 99% of the time.

Yeah that's what I'm going to go for. So i guess then any cold air designed intake will work because they'll be two tubes. Thanks for the insight

np buddy :thumbsup:

the ebay intake is generally accepted around here :happy:

Archived