Sol won't start

Orca89

Ok, tried to start my Sol this evening, and all it did was click once (more of a "chck" noise really). Sounds like the starter hitting just once. Any ideas? I'm wondering if it might be the clutch pedal or clutch line or whatever, 'cause I have to just about shove it through the floorboards to get the car to start until now. I just drove it to Five Guys 45 minutes ago, and it started up fine on the way to and from there.

Ok, tried to start my Sol this evening, and all it did was click once (more of a "chck" noise really). Sounds like the starter hitting just once. Any ideas? I'm wondering if it might be the clutch pedal or clutch line or whatever, 'cause I have to just about shove it through the floorboards to get the car to start until now. I just drove it to Five Guys 45 minutes ago, and it started up fine on the way to and from there.

Are you talking about Nuetral saftey switch?

Are you talking about Nuetral saftey switch?

Probably. But I think that's just an annoyance, I'm betting the starter is the one with the problem.

Alrighty then... that was odd. We pushed it up into the garage to work on it, and it started up after a few tries... only thing we'd done is pop the hood and shine a light into it... Well... any theories on why that happened and how to prevent it? I'd also like to adjust the neutral safety switch so I don't have to have the clutch in half a mile past disengaged... or maybe I need a new clutch... I dunno, any ideas?

Alrighty then... that was odd. We pushed it up into the garage to work on it, and it started up after a few tries... only thing we'd done is pop the hood and shine a light into it... Well... any theories on why that happened and how to prevent it? I'd also like to adjust the neutral safety switch so I don't have to have the clutch in half a mile past disengaged... or maybe I need a new clutch... I dunno, any ideas?

Already told ya what I think on Aim! Good luck tomorrow! :thumbsup:

Already told ya what I think on Aim! Good luck tomorrow! :thumbsup:

care to share? my thoughts are starter spun after he rolled it in, fired up okay. Bad starter.

and no mike, you can't keel me. I AM IRON MAN.

"cues Tony Iommi"

i would check your battery, and charging system and if the numbers are good, check your starter.

you may have a bad ground and moving the car may have made the connection good enough to start.

for testing your battery alternator and starter you need a multimeter and a vat if you can get ahold of one.

i would check your battery, and charging system and if the numbers are good, check your starter.

you may have a bad ground and moving the car may have made the connection good enough to start.

for testing your battery alternator and starter you need a multimeter and a vat if you can get ahold of one.

Alrighty, I'll check those next time I see my Electrician buddy... although I don't think the alternator or battery have any problems.. Radio ran fine, turned the lights on to get it into the garage, etc. etc, no lack of power. mpearce suggested ground wires, so I'll be double checking those later today. And if I have time to kill, I'll check the flywheel as well, as that was another possibility that came up. Not sure if that's likely, but what the heck, might as well.

if it were the flywheel, it wouldn't start. your problem is said to be intermittent so my guess would be either a faulty ground or loose or exposed wire, bad connection.

i say check the alternator and battery too cuz if you're alternator isn't charging the battery properly then your battery won't have enough amps to move the starter.

it don't hurt to check, doing a starter draw test can help narrow it down. just be sure to check your grounds and connections, make sure nothing is corroded either.

if it were the flywheel, it wouldn't start. your problem is said to be intermittent so my guess would be either a faulty ground or loose or exposed wire, bad connection.

i say check the alternator and battery too cuz if you're alternator isn't charging the battery properly then your battery won't have enough amps to move the starter.

it don't hurt to check, doing a starter draw test can help narrow it down. just be sure to check your grounds and connections, make sure nothing is corroded either.

If for some reason he was missing a few teeth in a section, it woulddo that! (I had I hate to admit) a Ford Pinto, :laugh: with a bad section on flywheel! Had to push it backwards like every 3rd time I went to start it! >_<

Sounds likely to be a bad spot on the starter motor. As for the clutch issue, I believe the clutch switch is mounted under the dash at the top of the pedal arm. The mounting depth (how close it sits to the pedal contact tab) should be adjustable.

Archived