Just got a free 94 LS 4 door Integra, is it worth fixing up?

tegtegbrett!

I've always been into tuners and I'm currently trying to become a mechanic, however, im only 18 and don't know much about any cars, but i want to learn everything there is. Maybe someone could help me with making up my mind on what to do with this car.

My dad Bought this car about 4 years ago from our neighbor who claimed that they took amazing care of the car. Since my dad bought it, it's had quite some work done to it but nothing more than basic upkeep. The paint is pealing and eaten away which i have noticed is a common problem with hondas/integras. Other than that, the car is in really good shape. I'm really short on money but i wanna give it a little show, and a little go. Would anyone say that this car is worth it?

)its got like 250k miles on it and needs some work as well. might put up pictures later.)

I've always been into tuners and I'm currently trying to become a mechanic, however, im only 18 and don't know much about any cars, but i want to learn everything there is. Maybe someone could help me with making up my mind on what to do with this car.

My dad Bought this car about 4 years ago from our neighbor who claimed that they took amazing care of the car. Since my dad bought it, it's had quite some work done to it but nothing more than basic upkeep. The paint is pealing and eaten away which i have noticed is a common problem with hondas/integras. Other than that, the car is in really good shape. I'm really short on money but i wanna give it a little show, and a little go. Would anyone say that this car is worth it?

)its got like 250k miles on it and needs some work as well. might put up pictures later.)

What motor is in it? I would look at swapping same motor, but with lower miles on it! Is car being given to you? If so if it has nice interior, and you can come up with a fairly cheap motor, I would swap then sell! Is it a auto, or 5-speed? If it is a auto, I personally would not bother dumping to much money into it! :thumbsup:

What motor is in it? I would look at swapping same motor, but with lower miles on it! Is car being given to you? If so if it has nice interior, and you can come up with a fairly cheap motor, I would swap then sell! Is it a auto, or 5-speed? If it is a auto, I personally would not bother dumping to much money into it! :thumbsup:

Well like i said, i don't know too much about cars yet, im sure you were there at one point. lol but all i know is that it's a 1.8 liter engine? and yeah it's an automatic, but I do plan on putting a nicer engine in because im sure the current one will not last much longer, it has been giving all kinds of problems. So if i do that, i was thinkin about swapping a 5 speed in there.

Fair amount of work involved there! :thumbsup: Trans, shifter linkages, master cylinder, hydrolic lines, ecu, shifter, mounts, and about 20 things I dont remember, or know about! Easy I am sure for some of these guys, but not something I have done in these cars! Did it to a 71 Camaro, and my 76 F-150 4X4, but was younger then, and was easier I would think on those! :dry:

I wouldn't bother doing much. By the time you spend the money to swap it and 5 speed conversion and repaint the car due to peeling, you could buy a good condition 5 speed LS or probably even a GSR. Save your money and buy something with a better base.

I wouldn't bother doing much. By the time you spend the money to swap it and 5 speed conversion and repaint the car due to peeling, you could buy a good condition 5 speed LS or probably even a GSR. Save your money and buy something with a better base.

Yeah I figured that's what i'd hear. I might just clean it up and use it as a daily driver till it dies. kelly blue book on it was like $900 so im kinda stuck. lol

I have a 2000 dodge caravan that I bought like 2 years ago for my band to use to move our crap around, so im about to sell that for like $2000 if i can even get that much. idk if the teggy is even worth selling. haha

Yeah I figured that's what i'd hear. I might just clean it up and use it as a daily driver till it dies. kelly blue book on it was like $900 so im kinda stuck. lol

I have a 2000 dodge caravan that I bought like 2 years ago for my band to use to move our crap around, so im about to sell that for like $2000 if i can even get that much. idk if the teggy is even worth selling. haha

Hey free is never a bad thing! :thumbsup: If you are just looking to get your feet wet it would be fine! I meant if it was something you were going to be pouring money into, I agree with Nate get a 5-speed good condition platform and go all out! Then again for learning purposes it will do fine! Start slow and just try to get it into shape, then sell, or go from there! :)

Hey free is never a bad thing! :thumbsup: If you are just looking to get your feet wet it would be fine! I meant if it was something you were going to be pouring money into, I agree with Nate get a 5-speed good condition platform and go all out! Then again for learning purposes it will do fine! Start slow and just try to get it into shape, then sell, or go from there! :)

Yeah, I think I'm going to fix it up (new starter because it takes about 30 turns of the key to get it running, but shop told us it's the starter so im gonna get a remanufactured one) and find why im leaking so much oil and then sell it. How much would a GSR run me in good condition?

Yeah, I think I'm going to fix it up (new starter because it takes about 30 turns of the key to get it running, but shop told us it's the starter so im gonna get a remanufactured one) and find why im leaking so much oil and then sell it. How much would a GSR run me in good condition?

If it cranks over 30 times with no problems then I doubt it's the starter....more likely ignition or fuel problems. Seriously,.....all the starter does is crank the engine over so if it cranks over fine, then how could it be bad??

Edit: I see you said 30 turns of the key and not cranking 30 times. First thing to check is the battery terminals...if they are corroded then it will lead you to believe the starter is bad. My wife's car did this a few months ago and I ordered a starter rebuild kit......went to pull the terminals before installing them only to find that (under the positive terminal cover) it was corroded and not getting contact.

If it cranks over 30 times with no problems then I doubt it's the starter....more likely ignition or fuel problems. Seriously,.....all the starter does is crank the engine over so if it cranks over fine, then how could it be bad??

Edit: I see you said 30 turns of the key and not cranking 30 times. First thing to check is the battery terminals...if they are corroded then it will lead you to believe the starter is bad. My wife's car did this a few months ago and I ordered a starter rebuild kit......went to pull the terminals before installing them only to find that (under the positive terminal cover) it was corroded and not getting contact.

Nope, cleaned terminals and battery corrosion with some crap i we use at work. (work at national tire and battery) Already checked all connections and such. took it to a local shop and they said they're 95% positive that it's the starter.

ps. 30 is a little exaggerated it's only a couple times and eventually it starts.

i would take it for free myself the parts arent that hard to find for a small amount of cash if you look hard enough.

oh well the car is mine already. It's just deciding wether im gonna fix it and sell it, or fix it and build it.

it's an automatic which i hate, and according to pretty much everyone, i'd be better off selling it and getting a manual ls or a gsr for what it would cost me to do a manual swap.

personally, i'd just do maintenance and if you got 50k or more out of it you got a good deal! The swap would be a bit much for something with that high on mileage, but once the motor dies you could always make it your project :thumbsup: . I'd keep it as DD for right now and find something else to build! Or like I mentioned, DD drive it till the wheels fall off then get another DD and build this one!

thats a good grab imo, a free car is better than paying for a car :thumbsup:

just fix the few problems, and detail it and put it up on craiglist and start playing around with a better car thats manual

Archived