Quick question about driver side door lock

camoki

Hey guys, the driver side door lock, it's manual, I cannot close it without having the door handle open in the inside. The passenger side, the door handle can be closed (ie regular position) and the lock can be closed very easily. Is the driver side supposed to be like this? Thanks

95 del sol si, no power locks because canadian version

Yes, all Honda's are this way. In fact, I think most cars are this way. It's to prevent you from accidentally locking your keys in your car, I believe. A reminder, if you will.

You'll get real used to it quick, holding the handle while hitting the lock button at the same time. You can do it real quick one handed. Pull with your fingers and hit the lock with your thumb as you're opening your door to get out of the car.

You can also hold the outside handle out and hit the inside lock with your other hand.

Yes, all Honda's are this way. In fact, I think most cars are this way. It's to prevent you from accidentally locking your keys in your car, I believe. A reminder, if you will.

You'll get real used to it quick, holding the handle while hitting the lock button at the same time. You can do it real quick one handed. Pull with your fingers and hit the lock with your thumb as you're opening your door to get out of the car.

You can also hold the outside handle out and hit the inside lock with your other hand.

Cool.

I'm glad I read this post.

I'm new to the Del Sols. My Del Sol's driver door lock is the same way.

I just figured that this was one more problem that I was going to have to fix, seeiing as how I had bought a 14-year old car. It's nice to know that this is not a problem, just something Honda did special to their cars.

This forum is full of very useful information.

Keep it up!

Power door locks work the same way. In fact, I think Drew thought you had power door locks.

I dont see how it would be an issue with alarms. The alarm shouldn't be armed until the door is closed anyways.

Are you talking about remote door locks?

Yes, it will work fine. I believe it will only lock if the door is closed though.

How difficult would it be to install the door panels from a later year Del Sol (that had power door locks)

onto my '94 Del Sol (that didn't come with power door locks)?

I want to wait on my car alarm installation until (if it's possible) I put in the locks.

Would the "later year" panels fit properly? And, if so, what else would need to be added to make the transition to power locks?

Any of you with power door locks, by any chance, do you have any pictures of the inner components of your driver door?

If you want to swap out your panels, the 95 would work just as well as the 96-97. 93-94 didn't have power door locks. i really should take my passenger panel off and figure out why that one's only unlocking via the power switch but needs to be manually locked now, but it hasn't bothered me quite enough to find the time to do it yet.

If you want to swap out your panels, the 95 would work just as well as the 96-97. 93-94 didn't have power door locks.

what else would need to be added to make the transition to power locks?

what else would need to be added to make the transition to power locks?

i could give the response of "the power lock assembly" lol... you'd need the switches and the wires, i'm not sure what else (if anything) is required as i've never added power locks to anything.

i could give the response of "the power lock assembly" lol... you'd need the switches and the wires, i'm not sure what else (if anything) is required as i've never added power locks to anything.

I guess that was a stupid question.

I appreciate the help.

ALL Honda's won't let you lock your door either manually or with power door locks while the door is "ajar"(open) as a safety, like stated earlier you can hold the inside or outside handle open and push the lock closed while the door is open and then shut your door and bam it's locked. this is a safety feature.

if you don't have power door locks and you want them, get them with an alarm! it's cheaper to add aftermarket power door locks w/ pretty much any alarm (i believe the actuators are like 25 bucks a door) then to try and install factory power door locks.

aftermarket ones will be controlled via remote only. so when you arm your car (with your doors closed) both doors will lock and the car will arm. when you disarm your alarm your drivers side door will unlock and if you hit the disarm key again, the passenger side door will unlock. you will not have a switch on your door to lock and unlock them, and honestly you shouldn't need it, if you can't reach across and unlock the other door, you are one lazy mofo! not to mention your alarm will unlock them anyways.

does this answer your questions about power door locks? getting power door locks with an alarm will save you money to do them both at the same time, plus it's easier then wiring your car for power locks then going back and having to rewire them to an alarm.

if you don't have power door locks and you want them, get them with an alarm! it's cheaper to add aftermarket power door locks w/ pretty much any alarm (i believe the actuators are like 25 bucks a door) than to try and install factory power door locks.

Thanks for the information.

I didn't know that you could buy "actuators". (Never heard of an actuator until now.) Now I need to find a car place that sells the actuators along with the alarm installation.

Or do you buy them separately?

I don't mean to sound stupid. I just don't know about this subject.

Google, Ebay, or Honda dealership (Majestic Honda)

Actually, I found a place in Houston that will install a car alarm and the door actuators. The guy there told me that he would have to see my trunk to determine whether or not they could install an actuator there also.

This is a great forum. Thanks for all of the advice.

If it weren't for this forum, I wouldn't have known anything about door actuators.

Thanks again.

:)

Archived