Mitchness' build thread

Mitchness

Hey there! bye1.gif New to the forum obviously. And, yes *sigh*... I am another of MPearce's converts from SS. Been with my baby for three years now and couldn't be happier with another car.

So first the stock pics.

When I got her back in May '05

2039192_5_full.jpg

I added the steering wheel cover and the dashmat. Everthing else was as is at the time.

2039192_3_full.jpg

The PO had swapped in the z6 right before he sold it to me. Engine had 43K on it at the time, body had 136K. I'm third owner and for being broken into twice before I owned it and being passed between three people she still runs and looks pretty good... beside the Milano Pink of course. >_< But she's got zero rust and no mechanical problems to speak of. Bought for $4K because of the swap and the PO is a good friend of mine.

...and now on to the build. 8)

Yeah, I don't have a whole lot of pictures of my Sol floating around. The only existing ones are on my CarDomain page. But there will be plenty up here once I'm finished with my build shortly (I hope).

Alright, so no new pics of the Sol in one piece. She's been on stands in pieces in my garage since last October. But you do get these.

HXWheels.jpg

HX's wrapped in 195/60R14 Zexius rubber. These wheels are so damn light. Even with the mileage-killing traction tires I still easily break loose at green lights.

FrontSwayMounted.jpg

Suspension Techniques front and rear sways. Just the front is on now. I hate, repeat HATE, the below-LCA mounting system. If I hit a pot hole the wrong way I'm effed in the ay. But others have run them with minimal problems so I'll try my luck.

BlackLights.jpg

7030s.jpg

Black one-piecers/auxes and 70/30 tails. I got these tails done by Doc on SS back before they started offering them on eBay, d'oh! They'll go on with this.

BumperProject.jpg

Extra rear bumper that I'm using for my rear diffuser project to help with mileage. Will probably do the trunk leak fix while I'm back there too.

CF.jpg

Jon from SS (and here too, I guess) helped me out with these. They are going on with this

Ameripol.jpg

Bronze Ameripol top with new seals. I ordered some new hardware from Majestic and the top fits so much tighter now. Should take care of the rattle I was beginning to get.

And finally

LipGrilleInstalled1.jpg

EX lip with a custom grille insert I cut out of a security screen door (damn expanded metal that small is impossible to come by :mad: ).

Whew! I think that's it. I'll update more as I get more photos taken.

Way to pic whore! I am proud of ya! Also like the direction you are taking! :thumbsup: Rear diffuser? Would like some insight into that! I was considering trying to enclose bottom of rear and bottom of engine compartment!

Way to pic whore! I am proud of ya! Also like the direction you are taking! :thumbsup: Rear diffuser? Would like some insight into that! I was considering trying to enclose bottom of rear and bottom of engine compartment!

Yeah, if you put skid pans in the correct placement you can achieve the same effect, but that also adds weight (minimal, I know) to the car. I'm gonna be doing something like this.

delSolbumpervents.jpg

This adds 1-2 mpg from what the people who have done this tell me.

i dont know about the extra mpg. but i kinda like the way it looks.

Yeah, I know. Right now I'm going off of what I've been told. But it makes sense to me. The bottom of the del Sol is actually quite smooth. Not alot of gaps for air to get caught in... except the rear bumper. Apparently it has a drastic "drag chute" effect that robs a bit of mpg. And while Mike might be right in the use of skid pans I too actually like the way this looks so I'm gonna do it regardless. Hell, I've got the extra bumper. Why not? *shrugs*

Mitch!!!

I haven't been her for awhile and I find you here....lol

That's the first time I've seen your car too.....other than the pics you posted of the lip you installed recently. Looks nice.

Mitch!!!

I haven't been her for awhile and I find you here....lol

That's the first time I've seen your car too.....other than the pics you posted of the lip you installed recently. Looks nice.

Hey hey, another TSNW member. Yeah, other than those initial pics I took when I first got her I haven't done too much. Mainly because I didn't think she looked that good. *shrugs* But once all this $#!+ is together I'll finally be proud enough of her to take pictures more frequently... although I need to get the paint redone.>_<

Pic of the bay as it is now with all the goodies that I've added over the last three years (AEM CAI, DC ceramic header, CX Racing rad)

Bay.jpg

Sorry I missed this thread.

I hate, repeat HATE, the below-LCA mounting system. If I hit a pot hole the wrong way I'm effed in the ay. But others have run them with minimal problems so I'll try my luck.

LOL, I was gonna say, that don't look quite right. Why do they do it that way?

LOL, I was gonna say, that don't look quite right. Why do they do it that way?

Lazy engineering comes to mind, but your guess is as good as mine. :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

I've got her back up and running! Although the battery has set for so long that it won't hold a charge anymore. So where ever I go I need to take my jumper pack to jump it if I bother to turn it off. :blush:

I put the bumper back on even though it's all scuffed up from my accident. :mad: Hopefully it'll just buff out. Added the splash guards and Ameripol top. Those with the CF hood and trunk look pretty slick, if I do say so myself.

I'm making appointments today to get the hood pins installed along with the washer nozzles. Also getting 3M headlight film to keep the lights protected. Then I need to make an appointment with my local mechanic to sort out a speaker wire malfunction that I can't track down. Then she'll be done!

Pics by the weekend, hopefully. :D

I know this part is old, but the rear bumper issue is something even honda addressed years ago. The old eg vx hatches had plastic baffles that bolted in place to deflect the wind. I doubt they would fit the sol, but there are people that make these and sell them in the net. Possibly they may be able to make a custom set for a sol and they would only weigh about a pound, maybe less.

• 3 weeks later...

And done!

What's been added since I got her. (ok, here we go)

HX wheels, ST sway bars, splash guards, EX lip, custom grille insert, eBay black headlights, eBay black auxes, 70/30'd 1st gen APC altezzas, both trunk leak fixes, repainted all plastic parts except front bumper and door handles, new trunk board, Dashmat, steering wheel cover, Dynamo's (from SS) rear bin insert, VIS carbon fiber hood, VIS carbon fiber trunk, Summit Racing hood pins, Ameripol bronze targa with new seals, third brake light cover, CX Racing dual core radiator, AEM CAI. I beliiiiieeeeeeeeve that's it. Took a year for my lazy ass to get it all done, but I did get to drive it a little bit before I put it away for winter again. >_<

S7300207.jpg

S7300239.jpg

S7300245.jpg

Gotta get that trim repainted yet I see. >_<

S7300221.jpg

My fat-man syndrome still needs to be addressed obviously. :blush:

S7300220.jpg

S7300210.jpg

S7300247.jpg

Yeah, I need to detail it. >_<

S7300211.jpg

And the travesty that the dipcraps at TranceWorxs (local customizing shop) thought would be a great idea. RIGHT NEXT TO AN EXISTING HOLE THAT WOULD'VE BEEN A BETTER MOUNT. I had them initially install the key lock Spectre pins. Now I don't know how they made them fit, but once I unlocked that hood I could not find a way to reconnect them. I had to bite the bullet and order some conventional ones from Summit and hope. f*ck SHOPS!! :rant:

S7300216.jpg

Luckily I was able to salvage it somewhat and it doesn't look too bad when the hood's closed. Still need to paint the plates though.

S7300213.jpg

The tops pretty sweet idk if I'd like it all the time or not but interesting customization nonetheless. Congrats on the progress!

I actually don't notice it most of the time. It's so far over my head that my eye doesn't even pick it up. Plus the UV block is enough that it isn't too intense when the sun is right overhead. The blue tint blocks even more light as well. I highly recommend, dude if you can get your hands on one.

nice bro

who makes the trunk?

are both the trunk and hood a nice fit? good quality?

Both the hood and trunk are VIS. I got them from CincySolDude (Jon). He set up a group buy on SS and I locked into it. Everyone backed out except me and because he was such a badass he gave me the group price anyway. $1000 shipped to my place of work. Fitment is damn near perfect, especially on the trunk. I got all the stock attachments to fit to with minimal efforts. I'm just so pissed that TranceWorx fracked up the hood pins so much. Essentially $500 down the drain. But I'll live... somehow.

Archived