2001 Prelude VTECH upgrades

2001lude

Okay, first things first. I spelled it VTECH on purpose to get your attention. I know it's VTEC, haha :thumbsup: . Secondly, I'm looking to try and gain a few horses, I'm not all that car savy though, just wondering if you all could throw a few ideas my way. I've been researching but it seems alot harder to find upgrade help on a Prelude than it is for a Civic and more popular cars.

Car seems to be in very good condition, engine runs like a dream, the transmission shifts just fine. So I'm thinking it won't hurt to put a little power into it. Lets say....20-30? Possible? (without forced induction of course).

Side note...I always thought VTEC was a joke....just some kind of marketing gimmick that Honda used to sell cars. Hell I didn't even know anything about it, I just assumed. I have to say that when I hit about 5300 rpm's and felt it kick in, it was a blast. Put a huge smile on my face....and now as you can see im already addicted and looking for more :blush:

haha nice trick there with the title and welcome to the forums. well you can do all the typical bolt ons if youre not looking to get into a serious build. intake, header, exhaust, throttle body, intake manifold, fuel rail, maybe some cams and a nice tune.

haha nice trick there with the title and welcome to the forums. well you can do all the typical bolt ons if youre not looking to get into a serious build. intake, header, exhaust, throttle body, intake manifold, fuel rail, maybe some cams and a nice tune.

agreed....in that order

Welcome dood. Plelude parts are gonna be harder to find, but its possible. Just gotta do some searching.

I honestly wouldn't bother with upgrades unless you go with forced induction. Let's lay out the cost of 20whp

Exhaust - $500

Header - $400

Intake $200

S2 Throttle Body + IM - $500

OBD2-1 conversion + ECU + basemap tune from phearables.net - $400ish

All of that will get you around 20-25whp or so and you are at $2000. Add cams and you're pushing closer to $2500 assuming that it's a mild cam with no valvetrain upgrades needed.

For the same money you can get a modest turbo setup and gain anywhere from 60-100whp safely on a good tune.

After going through the waste for very little power gains, I'm really against doing basic bolt-on's. It's expensive and the returns just aren't that great. I've got about $1300 in my intake header and exhaust and got maybe 10whp over stock. It's just not worth it. Save the money and put it into something that is cost to power effecient.

Edit: Thought I would add that since your car is an auto tranny, you'll end up spending your first 1000-1500 just to be as quick as a stock 5 speed. It's just not worth it. Boost it and have it tuned to about 230-240whp. That horsepower range will be fine with your auto tranny and will be loads quicker than bolt on's.

• 2 months later...

I searched on how to tune my auto, and found there was not much in the tuning department.

However an apexi vafc or neo combined with a nice intake, exhaust and header can get you close to 20 at the wheels with a good tune.

Thats what i was going to do, but i have decided to do a transmission swap, that will free up some hp to the wheels if you have the funds ;)

Archived