d16z6 vs d16y8

NUMBER 1 STUNNER

2262 is what i found for the curb weight of the car... I am not sure on the engines really correct me guys but is it just the head that makes the difference in the engines making different compressions? So would one engine be better to build n/a and one for boost? haha now i am asking questions

2262? That seems a little too low for the 99 ex.

My eg is supposed to weigh like 2100lb.

That's the lightest civic of all. (other than most crx's and some old ass civi's)

The 6th generation is heavier than the 5th. The coupes are heavier than the hatches. And the ex is the heaviest trim line.

All together I'd say that would have to add up to around 400lb or so more than my eg (5th gen. hatch).

I would put it's weight at around 2500 lb.

Oh and I think the y8 has like 2 extra HP but it's obd2.

And the z6 is obd1.

The y8 is probably slightly higher compression.

I'd go with the z6 for boost. (Really I'd do a b18b. They're cheap.)

what motor do you have or what car are you trying to find out about?

Edit: To break it down the y8 only makes like 2 horses more than the z6 but has the same amount of torque. The 92-95 civic's weigh less than the 96-00 civic's. In my opinion if you are building a 92-95 run a z6 same OBD and it is a little easier to swap. If you are runnign a 96-00 run a y8 because technically it is illegal to swap an OBD1 motor into a OBD2 car.

well my del sol weighs in at a heavy ass 2900 so would it be heavier??? and yea i would go with the z6, but just one thing from the y8 you would want to put on the z6 is the intake manifold it's better

wow. Del sols are heavy. I used to have one with a d16z6. It was pretty slow.

The 99 civ ex is around 2500 lb I'm pretty sure.

I was under the impression that sol's were only around 2500 lb or so. Where did you learn that yours is 2900?

well my del sol weighs in at a heavy ass 2900 so would it be heavier??? and yea i would go with the z6, but just one thing from the y8 you would want to put on the z6 is the intake manifold it's better

No it doesn't....unless you're hauling dead bodies or a huge stereo system. Del Sol VTEC's are the heaviest at just over 2500lbs and the S and Si models weigh less than that.

Gotta love the spreading of misinformation on the interweb.

Edit (took 2 minutes to find this info)

Del Sol S weighs : 93-95 - 2295 lbs, 96-97 - 2302 lbs

Del Sol Si weighs: 93-97 - 2414 lbs

Del Sol VTEC weighs : 94 - 2491 lbs, 95-97 - 2522 lbs

They're not actually that heavy (like most people think).....they're just heavy for there size. They're such a small car that you'd expect it to be much lighter.

I just typed curb weight on google and thats the number i got so if its not right it doesnt bother me not my car... my 94 ex car weighs 2200 right now and it is not stripped downt hat bad.. wiht me in it 2340

No it doesn't....unless you're hauling dead bodies or a huge stereo system. Del Sol VTEC's are the heaviest at just over 2500lbs and the S and Si models weigh less than that.

Gotta love the spreading of misinformation on the interweb.

Edit (took 2 minutes to find this info)

Del Sol S weighs : 93-95 - 2295 lbs, 96-97 - 2302 lbs

Del Sol Si weighs: 93-97 - 2414 lbs

Del Sol VTEC weighs : 94 - 2491 lbs, 95-97 - 2522 lbs

is that rite well i must of read wrong on the my door lol my bad hahaha yea i get alot of misinformation too its nice to spread the love lol jk

kind of like the 96-00 civic's people think they are lighter than they are.

they arent that heavy. a del sol weighs more than civics.

2 dr coupe: 2262

2 dr hatch: 2222

4 dr sedan: 2319

here is the site i used: http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com...nda-civic-4.htm

Z6 IMO is a better all around motor for either application. Nice and strong.

And I have never actually seen people put a Y8 intake manifold on a Z6. I have seen it many times the other way around.

Now the exhaust manifold is a different story, the 96-00 exhaust mani is one of the top picks for making more power out of a D.

• 4 weeks later...
The weight on the door is not curb weight. I'm not sure how they calculate those numbers, but it's not the actual weight of the car that's printed on the door.

I think the weight listed on the driver's door jamb, is with people and parcels (estimated weight)

Y8 IM is better than the Z6, but not by much.

Z6 is a better engine.

head flows better

straight inlet divider versus the Y8's curved

better oil pump

two oiling holes on the rod journal versus one with the Y8

0 deck versus the Y8's .020 deck

Archived