My Del Sol is at it again....

Kristin

So, for the last couple of weeks I've been doing work on my motor just to get the stupid thing running correctly. Check Engine light codes, out the ass...

First it was the distributor. Replaced.

Next, the 02 sensor. Replaced.

Next, MAP sensor, Idle Control Valve, Throttle Position sensor just to name a few...

BAM BAM BAM. Back to back.

Now, after having my car undergo surgery several times in the past few weeks, installing a turbo and fixing these minor problems... the car is still running funky. Quirky.

Still a check engine light. It's throwing the code 41. [HO2S Heater, which is located inside of the 02 sensor.]

That code doesn't make any sense to me, considering the thing is brand new.

ANYWAY, to make a long story...even longer....

My car lags when it starts, cold or not. The check engine light will not go off. The car blows the ECU fuse, relentlessly. I'll reset my computer and it won't blow for about five days... I'm thinking my ECU might be faulty. When I put the new distributor on, it was blowing fuses as soon as I turned the key in the ignition and the motor wouldn't turn over. It runs now, but for how long? I'm stumped. I can't figure out what the hell is causing it to blow fuses and lag. The reason I think it's the ECU is because before the distributor was replaced, it was throwing all sensor codes, that were related to the distributor... now its replaced, the computer was reset [because they hold memory] and still no change in action.

Any ideas?

okay im new to hondas and such so dont get mad if im wrong here

but if you just put a turbo on it.. have you had it tuned or put bigger injectors or a different mass air or ecu or anythin on it? mainly it probably needs a tune (I am probably wrong but it was worth a try to help..)

seems to me that it's not those individual components...it's the circuit itself...

what kind of an ecu is it?

The stock ecu works on loops programmed in it...so when you have say an intake on it, it tries to adjust to it...but now, you have a turbo, so you have to get it tuned: look into hondata...

and replace the O2 sensor with a wideband...

I hope this helps :)

keep us posted...

I also would question the tune, since you're having all these problems after putting on the Greddy kit, if I remember correctly. Perhaps there's some unintended stuff going on with that?

• 3 weeks later...

Problems were fixed. I had the car tuned. The problems were afterward. Anyone who's ever worked near/on my car, knows it's a bitch to work on. My roommate's favorite quote, "Like owner, like car.".......douche bag. But It's running extremely well. My Sol is such a pig. It ran 13's last weekend, which isn't too shabby considering...

considering................................................wat lol? ??? ??? ?

Considering Del Sol's are pigs. My car has had several problems. It's quirky. It's a bitch. It likes to make me feel bad by running slow. What else do you want? Haha. God. It's kind of sad, I'm kind of happy with 13's for right now. Hahaha.

well i dont know if you put up a build thread but the only thing i know is that you slapped a greddy kit on it and thats all but 13's aint bad..............or are they so wat it a high13???

I didn't just slap anything onto anything. That's not how I roll. I've been building my Sol for a while now. It's times were as follows: 13.9, 13.7, 13.9, 13.9, 13.7. The adrenaline rush gets me... hence the 13.9's. Not that two tenths of a second really mean a whole lot when you aren't running... but still. It's good for what it is. Not everything is done on it, that I want to be done, but when it gets there, I'm hoping for 11's. 11's have been my goal. I don't know why, don't ask.

thats a good goal, and sorry i didnt mean to offend you so my bad and are you running bseries? also im doing a build with my del sol did you have any traction issues? if so please let me know cause im trying to find out wat i can do so i dont have a problem getting power down to the street/strip

thats a good goal, and sorry i didnt mean to offend you so my bad and are you running bseries? also im doing a build with my del sol did you have any traction issues? if so please let me know cause im trying to find out wat i can do so i dont have a problem getting power down to the street/strip

Traction issues are something I'm still having. Haha and NO, I'm NOT running a b series motor. You didn't offend me or anything at all... so, I don't know why you said that. People make fun of me for the motor I'm running because they consider it a pointless motor. For all of those people, lurking this forum, suck my vag. Anyway, I'm running a D16Z6. [sOHC] -waits for glares and negative commenting-

I was just wanting to find out the potential of this motor. Thus far, it's been proving itself. The issues have been minor. Nothing that wear and tear won't do on a motor this old and poorly treated with previous owners. [170K Miles, wrecks, non-regular tune ups and oil changes, etc.] I'm proud of my car. I really am. Whether or not it's the fastest, prettiest, lowest, loudest, cleanest, whateverthefrack. I love it and it runs 13's and I'm proud as f*ck.

wow you are proud and thats good but i dont see why people would hate i mean the z6 is one of the best sohc motors out there and for it to be pulling good times like that, i dont think it's doing bad at all but im wondering were you using street tires??

and hey dont worry my car had over 245xxx and it still took a 85 shot like a champ over like 10 times with no problems...and also a z6 so dont let no one bring you down even though i dont think they can cause of how proud you are of ur car

wow you are proud and thats good but i dont see why people would hate i mean the z6 is one of the best sohc motors out there and for it to be pulling good times like that, i dont think it's doing bad at all but im wondering were you using street tires??

and hey dont worry my car had over 245xxx and it still took a 85 shot like a champ over like 10 times with no problems...and also a z6 so dont let no one bring you down even though i dont think they can cause of how proud you are of ur car

Don't get me wrong... I'm no dweeb. I don't wear a t-shirt with a picture of my car on it, daily... and whatever else. But I am proud of it. I was using street tires, by the way. It doesn't get traction until third sometimes. I have to play with it.

those are good numbers :) what are your plans for future?

Yea, nice times Kristen.:thumbsup:

+1 What's done?

Haha thanks :blush:, my future plans are to continue the body work that needs to be done, which isn't much considering the car was totalled [not by me] twice. I have a primer/bondo spot on the passenger side door, where a disabled, midget lady decided to plow into my car with her 1989 Chrystler New Yorker AKA TANK. That's my main concern. The rest of the body work are small dents from previous owners and the accidents they've had. The car has had 16 owners, EXCLUDING myself...so...I'm going to start working more on the internals of the motor. New pistons are my next immediate goal. The ones I have in there are some hand-me-downs that are better than stockies, but not as good as what I'm looking for. I really need a new ECU. The ECU I have is the stock one and it's just not cutting it at this point. I'm glad I'm just not having the ECU fuse problem I was having before. That was a nightmare before and after being newly turboed.

For long term plans, I have a fully built GSR motor sitting in my parents garage that I've been working on for the past four years. Completely cleaning up and modding it. By next year, I want it dropped into my engine bay. :happy: The D16 I'm running right now is just something I want to play around with. See the potential it has. We'll see how everything goes. Hopefully it doesn't end up like my roommates CRX, blown up. I'd like to keep this motor as a backup because it's been reliable.

Wow, didn't realize you did all that work....when next year are you going to drop the GSR? And what else are you waiting for?

Good luck with everything, and post some pics here when you work on it...or start a new build thread.

Wow, sounds like you put an impressive amount of time and attention into getting your car to where it's at right now. I mean, I'm impressed, at least.

Apparently you have a much higher threshold for adrenaline release than I do. I would be perfectly content with running high 13s. In fact, I'm pretty well content with my stock D16Z6 if only I got the car to handle and look and sound a bit better. But in time...

Wow, didn't realize you did all that work....when next year are you going to drop the GSR? And what else are you waiting for?

Good luck with everything, and post some pics here when you work on it...or start a new build thread.

Thank you. Yeah, I plan on dropping the GSR within the next year. This summer I'm supposed to be attending a Honda meet in Nashville, TN. I know the car won't be ready, the way I want it to be ready, by then. So, my goal is next year. The only thing I'm waiting on, for the GSR is the valve cover to come back to me from being powder-coated. Haha. It's pretty much complete. I'm hoping the work I've put into it, shows off. I'm hoping for 11's with it. I'll post some pictures when I get a new computer. Right now I'm stuck using the library because my laptop was stolen. :(

Wow, sounds like you put an impressive amount of time and attention into getting your car to where it's at right now. I mean, I'm impressed, at least.

Apparently you have a much higher threshold for adrenaline release than I do. I would be perfectly content with running high 13s. In fact, I'm pretty well content with my stock D16Z6 if only I got the car to handle and look and sound a bit better. But in time...

Thank you too. I appreciate the positive input. It doesn't LOOK like much right now. It still looks completely stock on the outside. Other than its dropped and has rims. I've had some typical Del Sol bad luck with the exhaust on this car. No "muffler" that I put on it... has stayed on it more than five to six months. They all fall off. Even if welded. The car needs a whole new exhaust system. Excluding a header. I've already spent the money on a new header for the GSR and D16. I just need new piping from the header back. It has some damage from living up north in Chicago. Salt and water = RUST. I've had the Del Sol for about a year and a half now. Just remember, anything worth anything takes time.

I'm content with 13's..... for now. :happy: This car, in the next year... is going to get me into so much trouble.>_< Hahaha.

Haha, just post scans of your speeding tickets, lol.

Hahaha. I don't NEED anymore. I was on probation for a year for speeding/racing back in 2005. 115 in a 70.>_< I think after I reach my 11's... I'm becoming a granny driver.

Haha. Then I will welcome you to club...

Wish i was smart enough to join that club..even with all of 3 tickets i have recieved (resulting in two license suspensions) i feel like i have used up most of my luck...

Maybe when i start driving again i will slow it down..

Archived