About Turbos

VerkineX

What kind of problems would I be faced with if i turbo'd my 95 ex coupe civic with the vtec engine, For example im saving to buy Thermal Turbo Cat Back System, GReddy Turbo Kit, GReddy Front Mount Intercooler Kit and have professionals install and setup everything for me, is this safe to run, or should i change the fuel system or axles or struts would i need limited slip, I would like only the people that know what there talking about to respond thanks.

I would like only the people that know what there talking about to respond thanks.

ah, you sure? that narrows it down to like 3 people on this entire board, lol.

anyway...

1. fuel system. yes, you will need to upgrade the pump, fuel pressure regulator, and injectors. some people will say its not needed, but it is mandatory if you want to get any life out of your engine.

2. exhaust. you will want the turbo catback, as well as a 2.5-3 inch high flow catalytic converter.

3. axles. you will be FINE. axles break/bend off the line, and that is one area where turbochargers don't effect, down low. and if you are REALLY worried about it, autozone will hook you up with lifetime warranty axles for 60 dollars each.

4. limited slip. it wouldn't hurt to have one, but its also not needed. if you are having serious traction problems, a better option would be to get R compound tires.

anything else, let me know.

Is that all i would need along with what I named to have a longer lasting engine/ turbo, and I am not the kind of driver to drive the crap out of my car, I would only race it if a ###### reved on me. Would I need like a stronger clutch or forged crankshaft or anything like that?

ah, you sure? that narrows it down to like 3 people on this entire board, lol.

anyway...

1. fuel system. yes, you will need to upgrade the pump, fuel pressure regulator, and injectors. some people will say its not needed, but it is mandatory if you want to get any life out of your engine.

2. exhaust. you will want the turbo catback, as well as a 2.5-3 inch high flow catalytic converter.

3. axles. you will be FINE. axles break/bend off the line, and that is one area where turbochargers don't effect, down low. and if you are REALLY worried about it, autozone will hook you up with lifetime warranty axles for 60 dollars each.

4. limited slip. it wouldn't hurt to have one, but its also not needed. if you are having serious traction problems, a better option would be to get R compound tires.

as he said, fuel system isnt absolutely necessary, but its a good thing to add while you're doing it. i believe the greddy kit comes with injectors and FCU so all you really would need is a fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator. axles wont be a problem until you're making alot of hp, and as it sounds like you're just keeping it street i wouldnt worry about them. lsd's are fun, but are needed more for rwd cars then fwd. and yes a clutch would be needed.

Yes, I agree with jackass and silvia. Clutch would be needed and so would fuel system. I would go with a stage 3 clutch from ClutchMasters. You might want to check into a boost controller and SAFC from apex-i. I would only run like 5 psi in your car because it is N/A. 3" exhaust is the biggest I would go. LSD would be nice, but once again not needed. All a LSD really does is give you a better launch. If you want to run for boost, do some internals(crank, pistons, sleeves...)

Yea, if i wanted to run more boost what would i need then, sleeves and rods and stuff like that, could you nae exactly what I would need to bump up the boost on the car?

if you sleeved your block, put in forged rods/pistons, and got some better camshafts, you could easily be hitting 200 wheel horsepower on pump gas.

also lets say I did all that, and i maintained my engine well, and did not race it around all the time and treat it like crap, do you think I could still get good life out of my engine?

depends on how many miles are on your engine right now. i don't know how much mechanical experience you have, but if i were you, i would hone the block, replace pistons rings, and gaskets. if you do all the work yourself (except the honeing) it shouldn't cost over 300 bucks. and your engine would run like new.

dont forget the port and polish..heh.. :laugh:

my cousin ran stage 3 clutch masters on his fully built B17 11sec civic with 102lbs of boost..

You can't run 102 lbs of boost.

The best sleeves out there can only handle south of 60 pounds.

civic_ricer Posted on Apr 11 2003, 10:43 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, I agree with jackass and silvia. Clutch would be needed and so would fuel system. I would go with a stage 3 clutch from ClutchMasters. You might want to check into a boost controller and SAFC from apex-i. I would only run like 5 psi in your car because it is N/A. 3" exhaust is the biggest I would go. LSD would be nice, but once again not needed. All a LSD really does is give you a better launch. If you want to run for boost, do some internals(crank, pistons, sleeves...) 

You don't know what you're talking about so don't answer. Won't need a stage 3 clutch. All turbo kits come with boost controllers. 5psi...haha, it'll be find at around 8-10psi. LSD is needed unless you want to run like a slow ass pirate with a wooden leg.

I figured I would run around 9psi, and I was also looking at the spoon lsd kit, is that any good? I know I wouldn't need a stage 3 clutch, but a new one would be needed regardless. Thanks for all the help guys.

Also, someone told me high compression engines generally dont take boost well is that true??

And would I need a new distributor cap if I got a turbo?

If it was, then companies wouldn't make kits for them.

No.

Contact the manufactuer for info.

The kit comes with everything you need.

I wouldget the Drag Gen 2 kit. It has the fuel pump and everything you need, including and intercooler and HKS SSQV.

I sure don't know what I'm talking about. I didn't know that ALL turbo kits come with a boost controller. OH MY GOD, I was wrong about 1 thing. yeah, have fun running 10 PSI in a engine that was never meant to have a turbo(and has VTEC). Anyone that builds a turbo honda engine will tell u to stay away from a VTEC engine to turbo. When VTEC kicks in, it screws with you A/F ratio and doesn't mix well with a turbo. You can run that if you did forged internals. If you leave your engine stock internally, 10 psi won't blow it up, it will shorten the life if it hardcore. I guess you wouldn't need a stage 3 clutch, but it is what I would recommend. At least if you want to race track with it, you can engage harder and come out of the hole alot better. If your going to daily drive it and not race track, than go with a stage 1(70% hondling capacity over stock).

I sure don't know what I'm talking about. I didn't know that ALL turbo kits come with a boost controller. OH MY GOD, I was wrong about 1 thing. yeah, have fun running 10 PSI in a engine that was never meant to have a turbo(and has VTEC). Anyone that builds a turbo honda engine will tell u to stay away from a VTEC engine to turbo. When VTEC kicks in, it screws with you A/F ratio and doesn't mix well with a turbo. You can run that if you did forged internals. If you leave your engine stock internally, 10 psi won't blow it up, it will shorten the life if it hardcore. I guess you wouldn't need a stage 3 clutch, but it is what I would recommend. At least if you want to race track with it, you can engage harder and come out of the hole alot better. If your going to daily drive it and not race track, than go with a stage 1(70% hondling capacity over stock).

You just made yourself sound like a total moron. VTEC doesn't matter, turbo or not, it still gets you more power.

You CAN run 10psi in an "engine that was never meant to have a turbo(and has VTEC). " Drag Gen3 turbokits can be turned up to 12psi on a stock engine. Anyone that builds a turbo Honda engine would tell you to go with VTEC. A stand alone engine management system such as Hondata will control your a/f ratio, genius. you don't need a "stage 3 clutch", it is called a street/strip, and that is all you will need at 10psi. You don't judge which clutch to get by what kind of driving you're doing, you judge by your driving AND more importantly power. Put a "stage 3" in a stock car and it will drive like crap, put it in a built car and it will drive like it came that way.

yeah, have fun running 10 PSI in a engine that was never meant to have a turbo(and has VTEC)

congradulations, you are a dumb f uck.

10 psi is easy as hell on a honda. hell, you can run 12 PSI on a jackson racing supercharger, and that crap isn't even intercooled!

and yeah idiot, a turbo on a VTEC engine is bad. tell that to steph papadakis and his 7 second VTEC turbocharged civic. as for street cars, ever hear of a VAFC? you should have one of these even if you don't have a turbo. but if you do, you can adjust the A/F ratio before and after VTEC. you and honda_civicex95 need to buddy up and have a study group together, maybe you will both be more useful members, and actually know a thing or two about hondas.

SSR and JDM, thanks for the info , btw you guys are funny lol.... anyways, I knew alot of this information from my friends and you basically confirmed most of what I knew as well as added to it, thanks alot guys.

you and honda_civicex95 need to buddy up and have a study group together, maybe you will both be more useful members, and actually know a thing or two about hondas

how did i get brought into this? i have never said anything about a turbo, nor have i posted in this thread! i actually made a thread to ask about turbo/superchargers...jesus christ.

you and honda_civicex95 need to buddy up and have a study group together, maybe you will both be more useful members, and actually know a thing or two about hondas

how did i get brought into this? i have never said anything about a turbo, nor have i posted in this thread! i actually made a thread to ask about turbo/superchargers...jesus christ.

Cause you don't know very much about cars, just like Civic ricer.

Archived