Project For School UPDATE

Joe W

Ok so I have a project for school, and it is going to be an engine constructed of wood, non-functional. What I plan on doing is constructing an 1:1 replica of a d series. Now the part people can maybe help me with: I want to use some real parts on the wood to give it some contrast, and I am hoping some of you may have some parts for a d series engine that I could have for the price of shipping.

Here is a list of some parts I am looking for:

-Stock Exhaust manifold

-Intake mani

-Spark plug wires

-dist. cap

-maybe a cone intake filter

Not looking to spend a whole lot sooo....if you feel like you can let it go for just the cost of shipping then let me know, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance guys.

I may have some wires for you.

ok just let me know for sure so we can get everything worked out.

cool project... I once built a small prototype engine (all metal though and not a car engine)

I have no parts...but post pics when you are done...wanna see it :)

Thanks, I will.

Yeah its a project for school. No internals because of the time I have so its gonna be block, head, tranny, and possibly the axles in wood. We have a woodshop on campus that I will be using, it has a lot of standard building tools, drill press, ban saws, disc sanders, and some other things that we arent allowed to use.

i woudl jsut do the block whit a cut away of a cylender.... i think shaping the tranny woudl be hard to do, but the block just glue some 2x16 together and make one big hunk of wood

if your gonna make any internals even just a cylinder and point and say "pistons go in here" i woudl think about how its gonna work and maybe cut crap out before u glue the boards togather... if that how your gonna make the project any way.... maybe make a small model out of cardboard or something to get an idea

Yeah we thats what we have to do make some cardboard models before the wood so we dont waste our materials. My instructor said I should just focus on the externals for now because that will be enough work in itself.

• 3 weeks later...

Well my wood project is coming to an end, and it has seen a big change for those who read my proposed idea.

Originally I was going to make an engine out of wood, but after thinking about the amount of time and level of complexity I modified my idea and I did SOME engine parts. Ill let the pics say the rest, oh and you get to see a little leg :o

P5302064.jpg

P5302062.jpg

P5302063.jpg

P5302058.jpg

P5302050.jpg

P5302053.jpg

If anyone wants some better pics I can take some.

No block no head and couldnt make the crank in time very minimal time for the amount of work.

I wanted to do the valves too but I spent so much time getting those to look decent, I mean i did a cheap camshaft the lobes are all even.

Archived