I Love JL

Heres some pics of my 2 12" JL Audio W1v2's and a 500/1 amp, 663 watts peak.

DSC01822.jpg

And Here is the 5 Farad Capacitor I have.

DSC01826.jpg

They were in my '97 Cavalier, that I totaled in October because some lady in a Saab 9-3 pulled out in front of me.

The cap is worthless. .

The subs definitely dont do this. . .

Just be careful if you get the W7, you can easily blow the seals of your windows if you run it with the windows closed. I did with my 2 W1v2's.

only thing i can say is fairly clean install, nice amp. . . subs are lame and loose the cap

The capacitor might have been cheap but it made a difference. I can now run my system a good 6 hours just on the battery and the car will still turn over just fine. Without it I couldnt even push 2 hours.

Its not like it compleatly blows the seals out, just holes to release the pressure, you could feel the air coming out. And I know a guy that blew the seals on his Jimmy with a Pyramid 2000 watt amp and 2 1000watt 12"'s

just to give you a little overview of how your cap is working in relation to your system

You have 5 farads. 1 farad is released in a matter of milliseconds. so having 5 farads gives you MAYBE 1 second worth of electrons that will be drawn from the amp. The amp will only pull from your cap if your electrical system falls below its minimal voltage requirement. The cap is then recharged from the battery. . where as all your really doing is taking electrons from one place and dumping them in another.

now granted the cap will release the electrons alot faster then a battery. . what your really doing in the over all big picture is putting a band aid on a larger electrical deficiency.

I wasnt really commenting towards it being "cheap" It dont matter if you paid 20.00 for a cap, or 2,000.00 for the cap. its really not needed if you took proper steps to make sure your exsisting electrical system could handle the load in the first place.

Also, since the cap is charged by the battery. . .

I can now run my system a good 6 hours just on the battery and the car will still turn over just fine. Without it I couldnt even push 2 hours.

I dont see how this is possible. It dont even make sense in theory. Dont take this the wrong way, im not thrashing on you or anything. . just saying the cap is defiantely the weak component of your system, and the subs are so, so. . i mean. As long as you like them, thats what matters, but they are JL's entry level subs and not really too big of a deal ya know.

Its not like it compleatly blows the seals out, just holes to release the pressure, you could feel the air coming out.

ahhh, i see what your saying. This is referred to as 'flex' and is really easy to achieve. If competing or if you want it louder in the cab there are things you can do to help strengthen these areas to keep more pressure inside the cab. Starting with dynamat basically, but you might be able to find thicker weather strips and what not as well.

dude ive seen cars without caps last a few hours on battery at outdoor parties , why you giving this guy crap? his subs are lame? obviously you cant know too much calling JL W1V2's lame. although 6 hours is definitely exagerating. hes only running a touch more than 150 watts nominal each sub , its not alot of power. hes right about one thing though , you really dont need a cap for that setup dude. W1's might be thier entry sub , but there better than most. i had 2 12" W1's when they first came out 10 years ago , the bottom of the line JL sub. i hit 141 db in a few drags. won 3 first place trophies with them running an alpine V12 series mrv1000. and my subs were 4 ohm drivers , so i couldnt even bridge my amp and run 2 ohms , amp wouldnt handle it. had them running stereo at 100 watts nominal a piece and still hit 141 , with a sealed box. we hit up one show where they let us put the mic anywhere we wanted to in the car , i hit 154.7 , lol.

dude ive seen cars without caps last a few hours on battery at outdoor parties , why you giving this guy crap?

how come everytime i try to feed someone some information to help them make system improvements i always have someone coming at me like im giving someone "crap"???? the guy put his sytem on display. If he dont want an honest opinion then dont post it.

his subs are lame? obviously you cant know too much calling JL W1V2's lame

my opinion is that JL in general is lame. And regardless of what the fan boys will say. . more then half of ALL die hard car audio enthusiast will side with me. If you want to get into specifics and debate me on my car audio knowledge im happy to oblige. Ive argued over this many times. . but if you want to go through the paces. . please just make sure to bring your facts along with you, because youll get burnt without them, i can guarantee this.

.although 6 hours is definitely exagerating. hes only running a touch more than 150 watts nominal each sub , its not alot of power. hes right about one thing though , you really dont need a cap for that setup dude.

my point was, if hes can play for 6 hours with the cap, it wont be any different without it. Its not physically possible.

W1's might be thier entry sub , but there better than most. i had 2 12" W1's when they first came out 10 years ago , the bottom of the line JL sub. i hit 141 db in a few drags. won 3 first place trophies with them running an alpine V12 series mrv1000. and my subs were 4 ohm drivers , so i couldnt even bridge my amp and run 2 ohms , amp wouldnt handle it. had them running stereo at 100 watts nominal a piece and still hit 141 , with a sealed box. we hit up one show where they let us put the mic anywhere we wanted to in the car , i hit 154.7 , lol.

its easy to hit a 154 outlaw and while i dont doubt your ability to move the pressure to the front of the cab and create 141 dbs i CAN guarantee that it wasnt done on a very accurate mic. People used to do remarkable numbers on the old mics. . if we was using mics from 10 years ago im sure Team Gates or Nate Munsons truck would have measured somewhere in the high 190 db's.

Throw that same setup on a Termlabs mic placed legally at the dash and you would have seen a more accurate reading and im guessing a 6-11db drop.

Now im not saying JL makes bad products (except for the W7). . but price vs performance is horrible for that company. There are many companies you can go to where you can pick up their entry level subs and they can compete with JL's mid end subs for less then what you would fork out for JL Audio gear.

another guy that has negative things to say. you can read and factualize all you want , ive seen alot with my own eyes , and theory is much different than actual.

Now im not saying JL makes bad products (except for the W7). . but price vs performance is horrible for that company. There are many companies you can go to where you can pick up their entry level subs and they can compete with JL's mid end subs for less then what you would fork out for JL Audio gear.

its funny , 95% of people would totally disagree. jesus even on TV , you watch tuner shows and what not , every time you see them install a system , even in millionaire celebs cars like on whips , what are they running? JL. but i really dont care dude , i just seen you calling his subs lame , and it pissed me off. you can be the stereo master , lol , that phase is long over for me.

another guy that has negative things to say. you can read and factualize all you want , ive seen alot with my own eyes , and theory is much different than actual.

if you dont know what your actually looking at then its very easy to be impressed

its funny , 95% of people would totally disagree. jesus even on TV , you watch tuner shows and what not , every time you see them install a system , even in millionaire celebs cars like on whips , what are they running? JL. but i really dont care dude , i just seen you calling his subs lame , and it pissed me off. you can be the stereo master , lol , that phase is long over for me.

Do you know why JL gets so much hype? Its just because of advertising.

Your general consumer thinks the top companies in the world are JL and Kicker. Why? because these are the names that get fed to them in every TV show, Magazine, and advertisement they see.

You have no clue about the TONS of other companies that are out there that would absolutely hand JL subs their ass for equal all the way down to a fraction of the costs that JL charges.

If your a JL fan then do you. . its your money to blow i really dont care. But if you dont have anything to back your opinions and you step up trying to debate or contest what i said with me then at least bring FACTS with your argument or at least man up and finish what you start.

Fact: I ran my system for 2 hours at a party and the battery died.

Fact: I then installed a capacitor, and changed nothing else. I then ran my system playing just about the same music for 6 hours, and then jumped in and started it up.

Im not trying to start anything, but thats all i changed and that was the effect.

Im also not trying to push out as many decibels as possible, I bought it so i had a good sounding system that would turn heads and could be heard for a while. It was the best for my price bracket. What really sold me was their warranty, Ill never have to buy a sub or amp ever again, they will replace it when and IF it breaks, free of charge.

Dont get me wrong, I do appreciate the criticism.

of course theres better , if you got thousands of dollars. and even people with thousands like i said , buy JL crap.

Bostons got some nice subs. But they rival JL they arnt that much better. They have a cool oval sub that is field stripable. You can install your own coils to your liking, whether its just worn out or you want a different coil. Im not sure if they offer different types of coils or not.

http://www.bostonacoustics.com/car/car_pro...p;family_id=130

I will agree with CBRF4i, I think JL is pretty lame. They are like any other company, they got known and are now extremely overrated. They make good crap, but the price for a W7 is rediculous when smaller companies hand build their products and they romp on the W7, like the RE XXX, thing is vicious. I had Boston Acoustic Competitors, but I wanted quality over loud. But then again, everyone has their own opinion, I think F4i's are crapty bikes, they are Hondas "entry level" street bike.

That's cos JL is overrated? How many celebs have you seen with Morel, Hertz, Dynaudio, Rainbow components? How many celebs do you see with McIntosh, Helix, Brax, Sinfoni, Genesis, Zapco amps? How many celebs have you seen with DD, Atomic, RE, Fi subs? Put the top end of JL against even the low end of some of these that I mentioned and JL is not up to par. You wanna put JL's best products up against the comany's best products I mentioned? Go for it. TV is just that, for ENTERTAINMNET. Why do you think Pimp my ride put a jackhammer and even 2 jackhammer's in someone's car? FOR SHOW!!! I had a single 12" woofer that got way louder than that jackhammer and with less power too. JL has quality products, but they are WAY overrated and way over priced.

There are many other companies I excluded. Noobs are ignorant, they wont even come to the realization that they are noobs. They go buy flash, what everyone has, what is mainstream. I bet you don't even look at the t/s parameters nor do you have a clue what they are.

As for caps helping out, yeah they do, but how much??? Very minimal...It needs to get fully charged before it can release what has stored and if you wanna know how often it gives off a charge, its whenever the bass hits and there is voltage drop. Thats why the Big 3 is a better idea and if that's done then a second battery or even an updgraded battery under the hood is much more reasonable. A Kinetik HC 600 can be had for 100 bucks and would do much better of a job. Anyways, a cap has to store energy fully and release it within short periods of time (split seconds, or seconds). Waste of money, thats why people say they are useless. A kinetik hc 600 is like 100 1 farad caps and costs much less than 100 1 Farad caps and takes up much less space.

this site has a couple of those brands for sale

Yeah, they got some of em. I've found woofersetc to be more expensive than other online stores. What you have to be careful of is that the majority of online retailers don't provide manufacturer warranties. It's hard to find great deals, but there are ways to manage. Some audio forums have group buys and those will have good prices. Sometimes shops will get you good deals as well. Other times there are people who are the middle man and get hook ups from shops. I know a guy who gets some sick ass discounts on Kenwood, Alpine, Kicker, Memphis, Pioneer etc. I'm gettin a Kicker ZX 2500.1 BNIB with manufacturer warranty for 500 shipped. So damn hard to beat, not even egay can.

of course theres better , if you got thousands of dollars. and even people with thousands like i said , buy JL crap.

lol im sorry dude, but you are completely misinformed

I dont know where you get your information from, but you need to re-evaluate your source

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

personaly from 1st hand experience i would put focals mid range vs jl's top of the line any day, and focal's prices are a bit better. especialy when it comes to their speakers, since JL's actual speakers are FTL.

Since this thread is already fouled up. I'm just gonna thread-jack for a sec.

Here's my setup. Criticism welcome.

10" MTX Thunder 7500 (rated 400rms) w/ MTX 401D (also 400rms) in 0.67 cubic-foot seal box

damn i just realized this thread was just woke up from like a month back I DIDNT DO IT!

Archived