How important is premium gas?

TrailMystic

So I filled up my new del sol today for the first time, and the inside of the fuel door said, "Premium Unleaded Gas Only - See Owner's Manual." I don't have an owner's manual yet. How important is it to use premium? What are the effects of running regular? My sol is VTEC. Do only the VTEC motors need premium?

Thanks,

Pete

Been reading on how VTEC works. Very interesting - high and low rpm cams! When I bought the car all I knew was that VTEC delivered more horsepower, but I didn't know how. So, is the premium gas requirement strictly so the engine will perform properly when the high rpm cams kick in at 5000 rpms? The system sounds very reliable.

Pete

It's a little over 3USD right now in CA...it fluctuates often though...

I was actually thinking of how it would be if I started to use race gas...so I would have to drive my car until the tank was pretty close to empty then fill it up a little with race gas and then drive it again until it was empty and then when it's very close to empty just fill it up with all race gas? I guess the more times you fill a little and empty is better cuz there would be less of regular gas in there...

anyone tried this before?

It's a little over 3USD right now in CA...it fluctuates often though...

I was actually thinking of how it would be if I started to use race gas...so I would have to drive my car until the tank was pretty close to empty then fill it up a little with race gas and then drive it again until it was empty and then when it's very close to empty just fill it up with all race gas? I guess the more times you fill a little and empty is better cuz there would be less of regular gas in there...

anyone tried this before?

FIRST OF ALL...what do u consider "Race Gas"

AND WHO the hell gave u the idea to put "Race Gas" in your STOCK civic?

AND PLEASE tell me one reason you beleive justifies you putting it in your gas tank?

Damn, what a way to make friends as a new user krissy. If you don't know what race gas is then I suggest you stop whoring.

Premium gas burns cleaner and more efficient. I use nothing but premium, plus I add a bottle of octane booster everytime I fill up. It sucks cause the highest octane we have out here is 91, unless you buy "race gas" I think it is like 107. Remember, you get what u pay for. When it comes to your car don't go cheap in the short run, cause it will be expensive in the long run.

Damn, what a way to make friends as a new user krissy. If you don't know what race gas is then I suggest you stop whoring.

Premium gas burns cleaner and more efficient. I use nothing but premium, plus I add a bottle of octane booster everytime I fill up. It sucks cause the highest octane we have out here is 91, unless you buy "race gas" I think it is like 107. Remember, you get what u pay for. When it comes to your car don't go cheap in the short run, cause it will be expensive in the long run.

might wanna look those facts back up there buddy.

octane boost does almost nothing.....

your wasting your money, the only reason to use higher octane fuels is to stop detonation. It doesn't increase performance, it doesn't burn cleaner, and it isn't more efficient.

might wanna look those facts back up there buddy.

octane boost does almost nothing.....

your wasting your money, the only reason to use higher octane fuels is to stop detonation. It doesn't increase performance, it doesn't burn cleaner, and it isn't more efficient.

To each his own. I'm sticking to my guns on this one buddy.

Unless you have a VTEC model Sol, or a B-Series (or better) swap, then there's no need to use premium. Using a higher octane won't give you any benefits, it's when you use a lower octane than required/recommended that you'll see some loss (which is probably actually not enough to even notice).

Premium gas burns cleaner and more efficient. I use nothing but premium, plus I add a bottle of octane booster everytime I fill up.

This is what makes me say you waste your money, cause it doesn't do any of that.

read the bottles of octane boost. half of them say it raises octane "6 points" but in fine print its really .6

so it changes 91 octane into a whopping 91.6!

know what gets you to 93 octane? 14 gallons of 91 + 2 gallons of 107. probably about the same price as a bottle of octane boost, plus, you actually get to 93.

FIRST OF ALL...what do u consider "Race Gas"

AND WHO the hell gave u the idea to put "Race Gas" in your STOCK civic?

AND PLEASE tell me one reason you beleive justifies you putting it in your gas tank?

I said "I was actually thinking of how it would be if I started to use race gas"...so I was THINKING about it...I guess I could do this when I do the mods on my car...but then again, it's expensive...

god damn you get it cheap over there, i think we'd be paying the equivalent of $7 per gallon, its about £0.95 a litre over here, damn tax!

oh and princess, you do know that you probably wont get any performance gains on a stock family car, if you put it in a porsche or a highly tuned vehicle then you have a reason to get it...

lol, I think a lot of things are pretty expensive over there...I have a friend in Scotland and we compared a lot of prices and salaries and such...oh and tax kills us all!

and about the performance gains, refer to my explanation above :)

This is what makes me say you waste your money, cause it doesn't do any of that.

read the bottles of octane boost. half of them say it raises octane "6 points" but in fine print its really .6

so it changes 91 octane into a whopping 91.6!

know what gets you to 93 octane? 14 gallons of 91 + 2 gallons of 107. probably about the same price as a bottle of octane boost, plus, you actually get to 93.

u can use the half that raises octane .6 I will use the rest. Nuff said, I am not here for advice on octane. TO EACH HIS OWN.

first of all its krissi with a I not Y. 2nd i am a weekly user (during track season) of the race gas, i accutally prefer sunoco purple which has an exact octane of 110- and i DONT put that in my hondauh bc its unnecessary.

3rd-LOL your saying im unable to make friends bc i call someone out on doing something stupid??

And when did i say i didnt know what race gas was? i didnt! your dawing me BC i call someone out on wanting to run race gas in their STOCK honda?

i think you need to redirect your negitivity some where else buddy! i guess you have to tip toe around people who post something up that makes absolutly no freckin sense?

Archived