How important is premium gas?

TrailMystic

FIRST OF ALL...what do u consider "Race Gas"

AND WHO the hell gave u the idea to put "Race Gas" in your STOCK civic?

AND PLEASE tell me one reason you beleive justifies you putting it in your gas tank?

:laugh:

QUOTE(futuredriftprincess07si @ Mar 29 2007, 03:43 PM)

It's a little over 3USD right now in CA...it fluctuates often though...

I was actually thinking of how it would be if I started to use race gas...so I would have to drive my car until the tank was pretty close to empty then fill it up a little with race gas and then drive it again until it was empty and then when it's very close to empty just fill it up with all race gas? I guess the more times you fill a little and empty is better cuz there would be less of regular gas in there...

anyone tried this before?

FIRST OF ALL...what do u consider "Race Gas"

AND WHO the hell gave u the idea to put "Race Gas" in your STOCK civic?

AND PLEASE tell me one reason you beleive justifies you putting it in your gas tank?

:laugh:

Yeah, I mean.... The argument is stupid.

Higher octane combusts slower than lower octane, allowing for high compression in the engines that require it. It won't help to run it in engines that don't ask for it, and it could potentially hurt performance by not combusting and building up in your combustion chambers. Just run what you should run.

JDMGSR guy has a point about wanting to run what's recommended for his engine, although I agree with Pyro that he's going about it the wrong way. I'd just try to find something that actually equalled recommended specs instead of having to add something shady I picked up at Salvo made expressly for wannabe racers.

It's like Advanced Auto Parts or places like that. It might be local to MD or east coast though, since now that you mention it I've never seen it in Cali.

Edit: You sig reminds me of the hobbit scene in Clerks II. Funny stuff.

Krissi, you gotta read what I was saying though...I was trying to see HOW one would go about it, hence the question "anyone tried this before?" ...you are still saying I was trying to put the gas in my stock Honda...for now, nothing is getting changed in my car...

JapaneseDomesticMarketGSR, you said your car runs more efficiently now? has your average mpg increased? any noticeable changes? Tell what you have noticed in your car because no one here knows your car better than you! :)

clerks II was the sh*t. you can only go ass to mouth in the heat of the moment, lollerskates.

but yeah, i noticed here in cali we dont have 93 anymore, just 91. anyways, i go to VP and get the 101 and my car runs so much better with that than the 91. when i run the 91, my car is a little sluggish but the only way i can use it efficiently is if i get re-tuned and im too lazy to drive up to orange county and do that.

Krissi, you gotta read what I was saying though...I was trying to see HOW one would go about it, hence the question "anyone tried this before?" ...you are still saying I was trying to put the gas in my stock Honda...for now, nothing is getting changed in my car...

escucha mi, when i get gas for my galant im so used to hitting the 91 button on the pump that i filled up my tank with 91 without knowing it but the car did drive a lot smoother and accelerated better. i dont know if that relates to this but just my .02

Just to answer Krissi's other question: 103

from this site:

"One common misconception is that higher octane gasoline contains more cleaning additives than lower octane gas. All octane grades of all brands of gasoline contain engine cleaning detergent additives to protect against engine deposit build-up." "Certain high performance engines benefit from use of high octane fuel. For other engines, using a fuel with a higher octane rating than the vehicle requires sends unburned fuel into the emissions system and catalytic converter. This puts unecessary stress on the emissions system. For some vehicles, a rotten egg smell coming from the tailpipe signals use of too-high octane gas."

thought this might add some more info. to this discussion...

u can use the half that raises octane .6 I will use the rest. Nuff said, I am not here for advice on octane. TO EACH HIS OWN.

here is an article explaining all about it.

here

Do with it what you want, but don't talk to me about how it raises your octane rating, because well your full of sh!t.

So...how much octane do you need?

Only enough to keep your Corvette’s engine out of detonation. More than that offers no performance advantage. How do you determine an engine’s detonation threshold? By testing and the first test instrument is your ear. If you hear detonation at wide-open throttle, you have a problem. If there’s no engine-related trouble (ie: too much spark advance, lean mixture, etc.) causing the detonation, then you need more octane.

Clearly, boosters with enough MMT to be effective are good for occasional, limited increases in octane. Applications might be: 1) a stock, pre-’71 Corvette having a compression ratio between 9.5:1 and 11:1, 2) a late-model C4 or C5 modified with a low-boost, streetable supercharger kit or a “mild” nitrous oxide injection system or, 3) a late-model car, such as our ZR1, that experiences loss of performance on hot days when its engine controls retard timing due to detonation.

If you want to make pump gas into “racing gas” for engines with 11:1 or more compression, high-boost superchargers, big doses of nitrous or any engine run on a race track at sustained high-speed/high-load; forget it. No canned octane booster in any quantity will fail to stop detonation under those conditions.

Cliff noted for the convenience of this argument.

But, clearly this has nothing to do with us since we're talking about Hondas, not Corvette engines. Silly Pyro...

93 was enough for my 66 pontiac,which was a hot running motor(heat is one cause of detonation)i run it in my honda because honda says so...but if there was detonation the computer would pull back timing.less performance but shouldnt actually damage anything.but if honda says so it doesnt cost much more to run 93.i remember when you could get 100 octane sunoco at any sunoco station for 50 cents a gallon,used to run it in my hipo 67 mustang...7 miles per gallon .

In a Honda engine, unless it's a high compression VTEC, premium is unnecessary. In my old 5.0 Mustang, I did receive better mileage from higher octane gas. The 1 time I ran premium in my Civic was thinking it would help me pass emissions. In fact, I almost failed, and my mileage went to crap that tank.

+1 for octane booster is gay. ive always put chevron supreme in my del sol s model, and while i didnt feel it booost in driving performance, i could definitely feel it if i downgraded in gas. my case in point being, i let my mom drive it one day to the store, and she put 87 and as soon as i drove it, i could immediately tell. i wish we had race gas here in wa. we doo, but the track is far, and i cant find it at any of the places by the int'l airport. oh well though, itd be hellla expensive seeing as i pay nearly 3.30 a gallon for supreme in my xr4ti; which on the other hand NEEDS supreme cuz its boosted.

xr4ti? What?

its a fox body mustang with the fattest turbo youve ever seen. it was made and manufactured in germany and built to go on the autobahn at high speeds and it also boasts supreme handling.

look up sierra rs cosworth, and thats what i have.

Archived