d16a1 build help.

okay ill admit im the biggest noob ever when it comes to hondas. i need some help. i got a d16a1 dohc. and i need to build the crap out of it. atleast 200 hp to the crank, atleast. where can i get some good aftermarket parts for this sucker? i cant seem to find much, is any other parts compatible with this motor? i really want to run a 75-100 shot of nitrous safley, and probably turbo if it will fit. this motor is going in a really small car. a 79 civic there isnt much room, not sure if a turbo is possible yet. so yeah can any one help with some build ideas to crank the power out of this sucker, and some links to places with performacne parts for honda/acura besides ebay! thanks!

Yeah I'm pretty sure theres little to no after market support for that particular motor. But you can get parts for other D series motors or ZC parts. Cranny or SSR would most likely know more about the motor than I will ever have a clue of.

i really never worked on many ZC setups. but same principles apply. id stay away from boost for this project dude. you can attain 200 crank horse all motor + maybe a 50 shot. are you dead set on the D16A1? take it to machine shop , have the holes made new again. run some high compression pistons in it. SSR might be able to help you more , i havent worked on many DOHC D series , not as far as how it runs , but he prolly knows where you can get parts for it.

finally some real help, thank you. posted on other forums and got flammed to crap. didnt think i was asking that much!

im not really dead set on it, in fact i really dont even want it. but this motor is going in a 79 civic. what i want is a b16 or 18. but i got the d16, 5 spd cable tranny, and wiring harness for free. and ive got a couple reasons why i want to keep it and not go with the B series now. for one the size. this motor will fit much easier than a B and be a little easier swap. 2 if i have to pay around 1000 bucks for a 160hp motor. im sure i can find some way to crank out 50 hp in the d16 for 1000 bucks. so it the long run it should be cheaper. and either way if i use this motor or not, its going in a 79 civic anyway and getting used. when im done with it, its going in my gf's 79 and im putting in my gsr (quite a few years down the road). so i really want to run this motor. if you want to talk me out of it, you pay for the gsr lol.

but thanks for the help, my problem is just finding the parts! i cant seem to find any except a set of "stage 3 cams" on ebay. no clue if they are worth the money or not, ive never heard the brand name, but ive never been into hondas really. and ive heard this engine loves boost on the stock motor as long as its running good and everything works. so i figure maybe a small turbo set up would get me the power i want, but i really wanted to build the motor some, thats half the fun. i just want a good solid reliable motor to shove in the car for now run the piss out of for a few years, and then throw it in the gf's civic when i can afford my gsr.

so if ssr will chime in that would be great!!

oh and by the way. whats a brand new clutchmasters clutch worth for this motor? i just got offered one, but have no clue what the sell for at all. couple hundred?

SSR would definitely be able to help you more as far as getting parts. at least couple hundred for a clutchmasters clutch. they are considered a better brand name.

SSR would definitely be able to help you more as far as getting parts. at least couple hundred for a clutchmasters clutch. they are considered a better brand name.

yeah i got the link to the clutch online its like a 300$ clutch and we already wroked out a price, but thanks! ill shoot ssr a pm or something. thanks for all the help.

You can get 200bhp all motor. Headwork, cams, a customer header, carbs, and bottom end build. 170bhp is more realistic and budget friendly. The trans is pretty good and you can use a B16/B18C5 differential in it. Checking your PM in a minute.

You can get 200bhp all motor. Headwork, cams, a customer header, carbs, and bottom end build. 170bhp is more realistic and budget friendly. The trans is pretty good and you can use a B16/B18C5 differential in it. Checking your PM in a minute.

i would be very happy with 170bhp. that would be a nice motor. and if i decide iwant to tackle a custom turbo build, i could, and the nitrous on top of that 170 would be a screaming little car. got your pm, pm'ed you back, thanks for the help looking forward to it. thanks everyone else as well.

• 1 year later...

ok i went to Edlebrock website.i dont see an application for my car.which make/model should i pick? ill get back to you on the cams and valvetrain after i get the manifold :devil: sorry for being a noob,but thanks for the help i really appreciate it

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Yeah I'm pretty sure theres little to no after market support for that particular motor. But you can get parts for other D series motors or ZC parts. Cranny or SSR would most likely know more about the motor than I will ever have a clue of.

Im pretty noligable about the first gen integra which that engine comes from. If you are looking for curtin parts let me know.

Archived