Opinions...

I am going to be getting my HX wheels widened soon(ish) and had a question on opinions. You think it is "rice" to have a bigger lip in the rear with a front wheel drive car? I was thinking about going a little wider in the rear, but I'd rather have the same width all the way around for handling reasons. I was thinking 14x7" with a 0.5" lip on the front wheels and a 1" lip on the rear wheels. I'd either get them powdercoated black, white, or blue with the polished lip. I'll probably do it with a bigger lip in the rear, but it is always nice to see how other people will view it, especially when you are spending money to get it custom done.

The lip doesn't do anything for handling. I was talking about making the front wheels 6.5" and the rear 7" or something like that.

I do think it is a bit stupid, since it is more of the look of a RWD car, but I'm not sure. I think it looks more aggressive, especially in pictures, having a wider lip in the rear. Volkswagen guys pull it off, so I think I could. I just need some opinions on what people think.

Nah, I'd trust these places, they've obviously been doing it for a while and are qualified to do so. If they f*ck up, a lawsuit goes their way. Wheel widening isn't a new thing, it's just not really known in the import world and mainly with steel.

You're wasting your money and risking safety.

Well, if you actually knew a bit about wheel widening, it is not a new thing to the automotive world. Domestic people have been doing it for a long time, as well as Volkswagen people. If it was that unsafe, why would they still be allowed to do it? Safety people would be all over them for this. I'm not worried, because if something goes wrong, they are going to have a nice lawsuit in their face via me. Why am I wasting my money? Please ellaborate? Me trying to be different and not go with something that everyone has or has done? Because I see no point in buying cheap ass wheels when I can have a nice set of custom wheels for a couple hundred and then buy a set of Mugen, Volk, or other high end wheels down the line? There is no such thing as wasting money, just different views for people. Just like doing a motor swap to a Honda, why spend $4,000 on a GS-R motor and swap it into a $4,000 EH2 and $4,000 in performance upgrades when I couldgo with another stock LS1 Trans Am and walked all over it with a 4 car head start for less then $10,000? Please, ellaborate.

Well, if you actually knew a bit about wheel widening, it is not a new thing to the automotive world. Domestic people have been doing it for a long time, as well as Volkswagen people. If it was that unsafe, why would they still be allowed to do it? Safety people would be all over them for this. I'm not worried, because if something goes wrong, they are going to have a nice lawsuit in their face via me. Why am I wasting my money? Please ellaborate? Me trying to be different and not go with something that everyone has or has done? Because I see no point in buying cheap ass wheels when I can have a nice set of custom wheels for a couple hundred and then buy a set of Mugen, Volk, or other high end wheels down the line? There is no such thing as wasting money, just different views for people. Just like doing a motor swap to a Honda, why spend $4,000 on a GS-R motor and swap it into a $4,000 EH2 and $4,000 in performance upgrades when I couldgo with another stock LS1 Trans Am and walked all over it with a 4 car head start for less then $10,000? Please, ellaborate.

I think there is nothing else to be said... except make the lip equal all around.

I'm not sure why the first word of this thread title is "Opinions".

If that's what you want to do, then go for it.

I'm not worried, because if something goes wrong, they are going to have a nice lawsuit in their face via me.

Don't rely much on this thinking. If something goes wrong, you may no longer be alive.

If you knew the process of making OEM Honda wheels along with the different grades of materials, you wouldn't widen them.

They're 14" wheels anyways. You can get some "cheap" aftermarket wheels and be wider than you could with widened HX wheels, and have better tire choices.

"Safety people" don't inspect aftermarket stuff like widened wheels. They're sold for off-road use. Hence you can't sue if something happens.

The opinions were not for whether or not I should do it or not, more along the lines of whether I should do a wider lip in the rear or not. I'm sorry for spazzing a little, but I got to admit, I am a bit tired of hearing "...SSR... is always right" on this forum. Because I admit, you know your stuff, but at the same time it's not always 100% accurate or it may be just an opinion of yours toward something. /done

The opinions were not for whether or not I should do it or not, more along the lines of whether I should do a wider lip in the rear or not. I'm sorry for spazzing a little, but I got to admit, I am a bit tired of hearing "...SSR... is always right" on this forum. Because I admit, you know your stuff, but at the same time it's not always 100% accurate or it may be just an opinion of yours toward something. /done

He's not always right. There is not one person on this forum that is always right. You just can't really ask something like this and not expect to get the responses that were given.

If you knew the process of making OEM Honda wheels along with the different grades of materials, you wouldn't widen them.

"Safety people" don't inspect aftermarket stuff like widened wheels. They're sold for off-road use. Hence you can't sue if something happens.

Dude, its steel, get a certified welder to run a bead around em, and call it a day.

and NO they do it for on road use too.

Edit:

Two seconds worth of searching on GOOGLE....

http://www.stocktonwheel.com/wheel_widening.htm

http://internetalternatives.com/wshoppe/wwiden.htm

http://www.weldcraftwheels.com/Wide.htm

Might just wanna check those sites out SSR, douchebag. He just thinks he knows everything thats all.

Dude, its steel, get a certified welder to run a bead around em, and call it a day.

and NO they do it for on road use too.

Edit:

Two seconds worth of searching on GOOGLE....

http://www.stocktonwheel.com/wheel_widening.htm

http://internetalternatives.com/wshoppe/wwiden.htm

http://www.weldcraftwheels.com/Wide.htm

Might just wanna check those sites out SSR, douchebag. He just thinks he knows everything thats all.

+1...

thats some cool crapt

Yeah, Stockton is the place all the Volkswagen people go to, but they do not do alloy wheels. I find a couple place in Pennsylvania, so I won't have to ship them out either. I think the big lip is the RWD V8 guy in me talking, always wanted them for my Trans Am.

And to be honest, I expected all of the comments, except ...SSR...'s. To be honest, whether it is for "off-road use only," which it isn't, they'd still get crap about things breaking for safety. Do you think if it was that unsafe they would still be in business or this "process" would still be used? If enough people have accidents because of it, it would have been shut down long ago.

Archived