Just bought a Si

Supraredliner

Well traded to Supra in on a 2003 Si today. I like it, good and smooth and the interior is awsome. The thing is I don't know crap about the new Si or the new i-V-tec system. I was wondering if you guys could enlighten me a little bit. Is the new motor worth a count? I am planing on running it eventually and I would like your opinions on this car in general, and how it compares to some of the older Honda Acura's like the GSR and old Si.

Thanks

Cody

I hear Si's are a great buy these days...I'd buy one if it could have held its own against the competition.

...anyhow, i-VTEC is similar to Toyota's VVTI. So, pretty much the powerband is spread out through the rpm range, and the VTEC crossover isn't as in your face as the B-series motors.

I'm not a big fan of the Si or RSX. Good engine the K20, I just think they lack something as they place the Si mid-pack versus the competition. Get a CAI, since it seems the K20 takes well to that one mod.

Yeah as you can tell from my SN, I am getting off the Supra game. I have worked on some GSR's and some LS GSR Hybreds, I was expecting more of a like you said IN YOUR FACE responce from the v-tec. I noticed the Civic is VERY smooth I was wondering if it is fast. I havn't opened it up yet so I don't know if it is fast in anyway. Would it be able to hold it's own against the GSR of the late 90's? That is about as strong as I want it to be and sorry for the ignornce but what is a CAI?

Thanks

Cody

Yeah I work 3rd shift so right after I posted this I went to work and on the way there CAI COLD AIR INTAKE. Guess I need to wake up a little. I run her today for the first time (has a little over 180 miles on the odometer). The other car was a 02 Ex coupe, and to be honest with you I cannot launch a FWD at all. I would spin 1st all the way to redline then pop 2cond and by the time I caught good traction he was about a half a car ahead of me. He has been racing Honda's for a long time so to make sure it wasn't anything with the car we switched and with him running in the Si and I in the Ex he pulled 2 cars on me. Seeing as I have been driving a Supra for the last couple years and this is my first FWD guess I do need to learn how to run it. Well thanks for your help guys. Maybe you could tell me if you know what RPM V-tec kicks in the k20 as well, and if they make a V-tec controller for this Civic.

Thanks

Cody

• 2 months later...

I have a 2000 Dx B16 Stock(just intake and restrictive dx exhaust ) and i tear the new si's by 4 cars but to tell you the potential of the new si

I was sitting at a light and a new WHITE SI came by me and was reving so knowing that i beat them i let him go but i couldnt catch him so at a light i run hard 1-2 im neck to neck 3 he pulls a car 4 he pulls 2 cars and its over. Turns out his car is TURBO w00t running 12 psi on a 02 Si

1. You're stupid for not breaking your car in.

2. You're stupid for buying an Si.

3. They are slow, look at the weight. There are about 5 Si's at the track every week getting their asses handed to them by GSR's.

4. Old Supras are heavy and underpowered, even the turbo models. You should have bought a used WRX.

yeah, if you keep running your new car like that, your gonna screw something up hardcore. You need to put AT LEAST 5000 miles on your car to break it in before you run it hard. The new SI's are decently quick. I agree that they are a bit heavy, however, still decently quick. You won't beat a GSR though. SI runs mid-high 15's. GSR runs low 15. RSX is 15 seconds flat. I would've also gone with a used WRX or a new SRT-4. My VTEC kicks in @ 5000 rpm, but yours is diferent and is always on. The K20 is bad for modding. With a CAI, Headers, and cat-back exhaust, a tuning company got a whole 8 flywheel hp out of it. A CAI alone on my car would add near that. It's not a got platform to tune. Trade it in and get a WRX or SRT-4, you'll be happier.

yeah, if you keep running your new car like that, your gonna screw something up hardcore. You need to put AT LEAST 5000 miles on your car to break it in before you run it hard. The new SI's are decently quick. I agree that they are a bit heavy, however, still decently quick. You won't beat a GSR though. SI runs mid-high 15's. GSR runs low 15. RSX is 15 seconds flat. I would've also gone with a used WRX or a new SRT-4. My VTEC kicks in @ 5000 rpm, but yours is diferent and is always on. The K20 is bad for modding. With a CAI, Headers, and cat-back exhaust, a tuning company got a whole 8 flywheel hp out of it. A CAI alone on my car would add near that. It's not a got platform to tune. Trade it in and get a WRX or SRT-4, you'll be happier.

Again, you need to shutup when you don't know what you're talking about.

1. Break in is 2,000 miles.

2. i-VTEC is not constantly on. It activates when the gas pedal is abused (some say depressed 3/4, but I say baah to that).

3. K20 is perfect for modding. Just because it is in a heavy car doesn't mean it's bad to fix up. 8BHP from i/h/e on a K20? Funny, thats for a base model Civic whp. Try an added 20+ whp with i/h/e on a K20 (depending on brands).

4. You should have bought a WRX or something along the lines of that to start with, but since you already bought a mini-van, keep it and don't go upside down on your payments.

k20 is not bad at all for modding, its just new and people are just starting to figure it out.

anybody think there will be k24a swaps done to rsx's?

Nice to meet ya 19th century. There are already handfuls of people who have done a K24/K20 swap. K24 block with K20 head and tranny stroked to 2.7L.

Even tho I'm not a big fan of the K-series, they are gaining better numbers from the regular I/H/E combo than any B-series with the same setup.

Thanks to what we call restrictive.

Well traded to Supra in on a 2003 Si today. I like it, good and smooth and the interior is awsome. The thing is I don't know crap about the new Si or the new i-V-tec system. I was wondering if you guys could enlighten me a little bit. Is the new motor worth a count? I am planing on running it eventually and I would like your opinions on this car in general, and how it compares to some of the older Honda Acura's like the GSR and old Si.

Thanks

Cody

yea.. it looks alright.. im jealous, people around my neighborhood has it... errr yea.. i like the interior too.. i wanna jack them seats and into my rex... heheh

The Si is a unique choice.. It looks more like a hamster curling up in a ball more than a ferocious monster though :p

The new CTR is supposedly coming over pretty soon i heard? It's also a new age-ish hatchback.. a bit better looking than the Si, just a little bit 8)

The Si is a unique choice.. It looks more like a hamster curling up in a ball more than a ferocious monster though :p

The new CTR is supposedly coming over pretty soon i heard? It's also a new age-ish hatchback.. a bit better looking than the Si, just a little bit 8)

It looks like a mini van.

The CTR is not coming over....

1. The Si cost too much so the CTR would be way too high, just as the RTR will be if it is made.

2. People don't like the Si (if you don't believe me, look at the sales). So by bringing the CTR over, they would sell for a little while (just because they say Type R) then drop off because of the lack of performance and lack of comfort. But just brining it over would kill the Si off. The profit from the Si staying and the CTR not coming over would be the same as the CTR coming over and the Si going away. Honda is not dumb, thats why they didn't bring it over here as a 6th gen.

The Si and CTR look exactly the same, just different body kits and interior.

You've stated good points, i'll agree but maybe the disappointment in their new si hatch urged them to release the ctr to re-attract the same buyers with a better vehicle.

Well the source i got from was motor trend, so you can argue with them about the ctr coming to US if you'd like.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupe/...304_frst_civic/

I didnt say that the ctr and si arent the same body type or w/e, i said it looks slightly better.

You've stated good points, i'll agree but maybe the disappointment in their new si hatch urged them to release the ctr to re-attract the same buyers with a better vehicle.

Well the source i got from was motor trend, so you can argue with them about the ctr coming to US if you'd like.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupe/...304_frst_civic/

I didnt say that the ctr and si arent the same body type or w/e, i said it looks slightly better.

1. Like I said. They won't do it, it would kill the Si sales, as well as costing too much.

2. Motor Trend..........yep, 25% reliable.

3. It "looks slightly better" because of the body kit/accents, headlights, and wheels.

CTR is rumored to come over. and the RTR is a more confirmed rumor.

my 2 cents: they won't bring over either. they will just make a "factory performance" package for both to get them the little extra things that the R's get...such as the body kits, wheels, suspension, etc.

Archived